Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

lava flow's beautiful flowers today.

newyorkrita
13 years ago

LAVA FLOW opened its first flower today. Just a stunning flower. If it only had a decent bud count but I think I count 7 buds on one scape, which is the most it has ever had, and 5 buds on another. Its a Frank Smith intro from afew years ago I got on the Lily Auction long time ago. (When I was still buying southern intros). 3 pictures of it today.

{{gwi:625232}}

{{gwi:625227}}

My Black Magic and Peter Mayle (in the backround) roses blooming today.

Comments (19)

• kstatefan
    13 years ago

Nice pics
    My Lava Flow is blooming also. I think there were 5 blooms open yesterday.

• blue23rose
    13 years ago

Very beautiful indeed, Rita. I wish all my FFO's would turn out that beautiful, but it seems the thrips got to them before I got the spray to them. Oh well, maybe I will get some good ones before the season is out.

That red rose looks like velvet:)

Vickie

• katladie
    13 years ago

Lava Flow is a show stopper, the color is so intense. Your roses are beautiful Rita they are so healthy. It is hard to grow them here because of the rose diseases.

Sharon

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The beauty of the flowers on LAVA FLOW is why it's still here. Its certainly not the high bud count as there is none :-(( And I ment first flower of the year, it has been here for years.

I don't spray for thrips. If I have a daylily that is a thrip magnet, I just get rid of it. I do spray the roses with a systemic fungicide every two weeks or they would have no leaves.

• tarheelbelle
    13 years ago

Well I guess I'm going to just have to buy Lava Flow. Every picture I've seen has been beautiful. There are just some flowers that you need to overlook low bud counts. This looks like one of them. I wonder if it is higher farther south?
    The roses are gorgeous.....especially like the pink one.
    Michelle

• shive
    13 years ago

What a hot, tropical looking beauty Lava Flow is! It's a shame it has such a low bud count for you. Just wondering about the systemic you use on your roses. Do you continue the treatment all summer? I would like to try a systemic on the daylilies becaue I have such a huge thrip problem this time. But I thought you couldn't spray that stuff when the temps were hot (9os here already). It seems nearly all my daylilies are thrip magnets this time. I didn't have any aphids this spring, but the thrips are the worst I've ever seen.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Rita,
    They are really beautiful! I can't coment on bud count, because I don't have that one.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michelle- Your bud count should be way better than mine. LAVA FLOW is a Florida hybridized daylily but very winter hardy here. Has new fans this spring. But it has such a low budcount up north that I should get rid of it. Not going to though because the few flowers are too beautiful to part with.

Debra- I do spray my roses every two weeks on the dot. All spring, summer and fall. I have never had any problems with leaves burning. I am not the one to ask what to use for thrips as you would need an insecicide and I only use a fungicide on the roses. I just ignore any bugs that appear on them.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:625235}}

I forgot to post the speckled tango lilies that are starting to bloom in the garden today.

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Lava Flow is just a perfect flower, I can see why you would keep it just for that. Beautiful Tango lilies.

• Cindy zone 6a
    13 years ago

Glad to know that Lava Flow is so hardy, your tango lilies are looking good. Looks like you have just tons of buds on them!!
    cindy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love those speckled lilies. The yellow speckled ones open first and then the sand colored ones. They seem to have lots of buds.

• Waitforspring
    13 years ago

Just back to gardenweb after a while and this caught my eye because I just got Lava Flow this year. Looks gorgeous in your pictures, but I'm sorry to hear it's bud count is so low. I'm in a climate similar to yours Rita so I guess mine will be about the same.
    Val

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Be sure and let us know this summer what your budcount is. You may be lucky and do better than I did. It is a very pretty flower though.

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

I think that LAVA FLOW is gorgeous, too.Very bright one.And I love the TANGO LILIES.I have some thats been blooming that looks pretty simular.I love them.I have some blooming that looks like a big BELL.I guess they are the Orientials

Jean

• anniegolden
    13 years ago

Your red rose is stunning - I want to reach out and touch it. I also love the picture of your Tango Lilies, the little bit of blue (can't tell what they are, some kind of salvia?) really helps to set off the warm colors of the lilies. I especially like pictures showing an entire flower bed, and I would love to see another shot of this same bed in a few days when it is really going strong as you have hundreds of buds showing. Christine

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jean- If the lilies look like big bells they are probably the trumpet lilies. The trumpets should have a lovely scent.

Annie- The blue in the lily picture is some catmint blooming which is a very nice sized plant and never out of bloom. Just a very little showed up in the picture. I will take more pictures of the lilies as they start to open.

• mizellie
    13 years ago

Lava Flow is just beautiful Rita. Do you suppose it's because of the climate that the bud count is low? Love the speckled lilies and the roses...Ellie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know what the listed budcount is at Frank Smiths down in Florida. I am sure it's not 6 buds, which is what mine usually has on a scape. Of course budcounts on all Florida hybridized daylilies are lower here than there. But this is exceptionally low. But so pretty. It has more flowers open today but not as perfect as yesterdays flowers so I didn't take a picture.