Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

Would you do a fall order or wait till spring?

natal
12 years ago

GGG mentioned Japanese False Aster on some thread and after doing a search I decided I'd love to try some. Am also thinking about more agastache, but I'm wondering whether I should hold off to order in the spring instead of the fall.

What's been your experience with fall orders vs spring?

Comments (7)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Can't speak for the JFA but agastache is easy to grow from seed. It germinates quickly with a high germ rate and would be ready to plant well before cold weather arrives. Seeds are available from multiple online sellers, including Swallowtail & Hazzard's.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I like to plant most things in the fall to give them a head start in establishing themselves before spring.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

My favorite thing about fall planting is that the plant emerges even bigger in the spring. Not only have they established themselves, but it often seems as if they're already maturing. The plants I get at our fall swap always look great in the spring. I suppose I wouldn't fall plant something that is a tender perennial in my zone. Even flowers that bloom in the fall and are transplanted during bloom fare well. I was told up here that the biggest downfall people have in fall planting is forgetting to water because fall can sometimes be a drier season, and the coolness of fall doesn't mentally remind us to water like the heat of summer does.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

natal, get it for fall, especially the Kalimeris. It can take colder temps better than a wall of heat, and who knows what this spring will bring and how fast it will come. What kind of agastache? I have planted some via WS and they don't get along far enough before the heat sets in, and the dry to really establish that way for me, personally. My front garden is so dry and hot. But the purple flowered plain agastache does fine WS and planted in spring. My itty bitty spring planted plant is now 2' around and 2' tall...however mine can die out in a wet winter in this clay.

• DYH
    12 years ago

I find that what I plant in fall is better able to survive the following year's hot summers than those planted in the spring. Other than seeding annuals in the spring, I've pretty much switched my perennial planting to the fall. I do still divide many perennials in the spring.

Cameron

• natal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gardenweed, thanks for mentioning Swallowtail Seeds. I may order a few just to give that a try.

GGG, the agastache is Summer Love. Since Gardenweed mentioned seeds I'm also looking at Rose Mint, Bolero, Tango, and Pink Pop.

A little while ago I found some seeds that Roper sent me last year. I completely forgot about them until Gardenweed mentioned seeds and then I went searching. I think they're Anise Hyssop. I plan on seeding some this week.

Thanks for sharing y'all! Now if it could just magically become October. ;)

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Swallowtail seeds has been very good the two orders I have placed with them.
    kay

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting