Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natal_gw

Anyone have Pee Wee or Sikes hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia)?

natal
14 years ago

I don't have room for a regular oakleaf, but I'm thinking a dwarf might work in a bed where I have to remove an abutilon that's getting too big. If you have a full grown Pee Wee or Sikes how big is it?

Comments (10)

• natal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've checked with a couple local nurseries and no luck. Started looking online and discovered Lazy S's Farm Nursery in Virginia has it along with a couple other things I've been searching for. I'm impressed with their selection and high ratings from Dave's Garden.

• treelover
    14 years ago

Natal: I've been watching to see if someone would respond to your question, since I plan to get a dwarf oakleaf this fall, too. Probably a Sikes because I read somewhere that it stays compact even in full shade. Mine will be going under a Texas ash that casts a fairly deep shade.

I'm hoping these will be as drought tolerant as my full-size oakleaf. It's done really well the past couple of dry, dry summers we've had.

Thanks for mentioning Lazy S's; they do look like a good supplier. What else are you going to get? (Just being nosy!)

• natal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After seeing Roper's Harlequin Glory Bower tree I was tempted to get one, even with the sucker issue, but recently read somewhere else that it needs afternoon shade so I think that's off the list.

Right now I have the Sikes, Salvia coccinea (thanks to Pfmastin's pic with the hummer), and White Bomb chrysanthemum. I'm going to order for spring delivery. Don't want to move the abutilon until then. We'll start getting winter hummers in another month or two and that always puts on a big flower feast through the winter months.

I'm still going to look locally, but if I can't find a dwarf oakleaf here I'll probably order from Lazy S's.

• treelover
    14 years ago

We have a little local nursery that may have the Sikes; I haven't checked with them yet. It's where I got my full size oakleaf.

If I order from Lazy S's, I'll probably get an American Beautyberry or two, as well. I already have one and it's a real nice native that's good in the shade.

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

I have a little grouping of three Pee Wees, they're new to me this year but are supposed to stay in the 3-4' H x W range.
    We had so much rain this summer, they're nice and full already, have been blooming their li'l hearts out. I stuck a few rain lilies on either side of the center one; the rain lilies were taller than the shrubs, but just barely!

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

The lilies are Lycoris squamigera, AKA naked ladies. They're about 2 feet tall. HTH! :)

• natal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm glad you clarified that, lol. I was thinking gee, my rain lilies don't get more than 7 or 8 inches tall, lol.

Btw, that's the second time today I've heard someone mention naked lady lilies. Never heard of 'em until today.

• natal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And meant to add ... I asked one of the local nurseries if they could order dwarf hydrangeas. Since I'm stopping by there tomorrow with my mole questions I'll see if they're going to be able to get some.

• louisianagal
    14 years ago

Oh I love the naked ladies. I have some. I think the real name is Lycoris.
    Laurie

• natal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Received my order from Lazy S's Farm on Thursday. I bought 3 Sike's in addition to a few other things. Best mail order shipment of plants ever! Dh & I unpacked the box together and we both kept commenting about the brilliant method used. Everything was protected ... there was no foliage damage, no dirt or water leakage. Shipping costs are high, but you get what you pay for. I would highly recommend Lazy S's Farm for plants you can't find locally!

Sponsored