Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmerbell

A few seedling pics to share

farmerbell
15 years ago

A couple of days I posted a picture of the ugliest seedling I have ever seen. Now I have a picture of its sibling's FFO (and you thought the first one was bad...). They are from Spacecoast Starburst X Inherited Wealth. Wouldn't you know it - they have 3-way branching with about 25 buds on them and they turn out to be so weird. Do you really think this can improve?

I continue to like the big flowers on tall scapes from Big smile X unknown. Here are a couple of siblings.

I think I am going to like this one. Decent bud count, scape above foliage. This is its FFO. Nature's Edge Magic Mirror X seedling

Now for the hot, hot daylily to match our weather. It was extremely hard to capture its true color. This picture was taken early when the bloom had not quite opened all the way. I had twins on its FFO. I do not know its parentage.

This same blossom still had amazing color in the evening, so I picked it, put it on a paper plate. At 8:30 p.m. I decided to take another pic, so I turned off my flash and I think it captured the color very well, but the flower was begining to melt down. The picture is not very clear.

Life is good in TN.

Ann

Comments (9)

• katlynn719
    15 years ago

Ann, Yes, I think that first seedling will improve. That looks like thrip damage to me. My favorite in this group is Nature's Edge Magic Mirror X seedling. What a lovely lavender color!
    Kathy

• Julia WV (6b)
    15 years ago

I like the yellows and the last one. Bright colors are so attractive.
    You sure do alot of seedlings. Hope one day to be as adventurous.
    Thanks for sharing.

Julia

• i_c_dillies
    15 years ago

Ann,
    I think too, that the first one will improve.
    My favorite is the third one. I love that kind of eyezone halo thingy.
    Thanks for sharing.

Lrae

• shive
    15 years ago

Ann - I agree with the others. Your first seedling will improve. You are getting some nice babies! I especially like the second Big Smile kid and the hot colored seedling.

Debra

• Nancy Barginear
    15 years ago

It looks like thrips to me, too. Pirate King is blooming now in my garden and it only looks a tad better. I know it's a beautiful daylily, but it looks really bad right now. That's probably why the seedling looks like that.

Nancy

• farmerbell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your comments. I will have to spray more often for thrips and hope for improvement on that first one. It had a nice form and edge, good branching and bud count and the scapes were tall enough.

I mislabeled the lavender seedling-it is Nature's Magic Mirror X seedling NOT Nature's Edge Magic Mirror X seedling. I wish all of you could have seen the orange one. I am not a big fan of orange daylilies, but that one was so gorgeous with good substance and a gold edge. I also have a lot of ugly seedlings that I am hiding.

Julia, I am fairly new to daylilies. I love all the new expensive ones, but my thing in gardening is propagation, so I combined the two. I was able to trade cottage garden seeds from my garden for daylily seeds from several people. That is why I have 135 seedlings that I hope will bloom this year. I went nuts on the LA this past winter buying seeds of these new fancy daylilies so I will have a lot more new seedlings to bloom new year, but I don't have any more room and I am NOT making any new beds.

Ann

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

They are all just beautiful.Can't pick a favorite from them.

Jean

• lotodig
    15 years ago

Some like it hot..I know I love those hot, hot colors.
    Thanks for posting them.

• david06
    15 years ago

thrip damage! it will get better. I have a lot with thrip damage too, but just to hot to spray was 100 here today and not getting any cooler.Great pic
    David