Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lily51_gw

Get the look of Provence

lily51
13 years ago

For those who love the look of Provence, but are not in lavender-friendly areas, one possiblity is annual statice.

It has the deep blues, purples, lavenders, sky blues, rose and mauve colors associated with lavender, plus yellow and white. Statice loves cool nights, blooming for months..right up to frost.. if you keep cutting it. It's an everlasting, so can be enjoyed all winter, too. The one thing it does not have is the scent. A bonus is that it has no predators, so no bug problems.

Before I returned to teaching, I started 600 plants in my small greenhouse and grew 1/4 acre of annual statice, selling it to craft stores. All of it blooming in the field was such a sight...and it looked beautiful drying in the barn's grainery.

Now that I'm retired, I grow a small amount compared to before, but I sill love it. It will always be part of my gardens.

Comments (3)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Lily, it's interesting that you should post this, because I've been considering adding this to my full sun garden bed. Is Limonium the Latin? I've never tried it, or seen it growing, but I'm sure we've all seen it in wreathes and dried flower arrangements. I read recently that it is drought tolerant which is my interest. I'd also like some material to use for dried wreaths.

That must have been a sight to see a 1/4 acre of it. You started it from seed, do you have a variety or a seed company to recommend?

• lily51
    Original Author
    13 years ago

prairiemoon..
    Statice is an interesting flower. The plant itself looks like a dandilion...in fact my granddaughters wanted to pull it from the flower beds when we were weeding. Be patient. It will send up tall shoots with blooms...small at first, then as the season goes on the blooms get larger.

Its scientific name is Limonium sinuatum.
    I buy the Soiree strain from Park seeds and the Pacific from Stokes seeds. The Soiree is the newer and it bloomed PROFUSELY last year when we had a cool summer. It has also done well this year, but both just got into high gear now that our unseasonable 90+degree summer has cooled down.

when I grew it for a "crop" I started the seeds in the greenhouse in Feb, as the plants can be put outside fairly early. This year I didnt' start seeds until April 5, too late I think. Next spring I will start them about the 2nd week in march.

Don't know anything about starting from seed in garden. I have always started my own in the greenhouse or have bought plants from a greenhouse.

Enjoy!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Lily, thanks for all that great information! I am considering sowing the seed with the wintersowing method. I can do some in the winter and see if they will tolerate the cold treatment and leave some to start in early spring, like you suggest, sometime in March. I've found I like starting seed using the milk jugs and leaving them outside. It's easier for me than starting indoors.

They have such great colors, I definitely will give them a try, thanks!

Sponsored