Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

strobus understock

what other pines can go on strobus in z5???

names would be better than telling me how many needles.. since i dont have that knowledge off hand ...

thanks

ken

PS: how to glaze my eyes over: 2 and 3 can go on 5.. but 5 can go only on 3.. but not 2.. or vice versa ... lol ...

for those wondering there are generally 2, 3 and 5 needles pines.. and there are certain protocol as to what can be used for understock ....

PPS: any different if the understock is in z7 ...????

Comments (10)

• kbguess
    14 years ago

These should work

aristata
    cembra
    flexilis
    koraiensis
    monticola
    parviflora
    peuce
    pumila
    strobiformis

I don't think there is a problem with Z7 strobus understock

keith

• pineresin
    14 years ago

Also:

P. albicaulis
    P. bungeana
    P. edulis
    P. monophylla
    P. sibirica

Other z5-hardy pines may succeed too, though possibly with low take rate, slower growth, and/or delayed failure later in life.

Resin

• pineresin
    14 years ago

Ooops - forgot, also:

P. balfouriana
    P. longaeva

Resin

• orbust
    14 years ago

Ken

All Pines can be grafted on strobus, some will make better graft unions than others however.

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Your best results Ken will be from soft-foliaged pines, those mainly with needles in fascicles of five (per grouping).

Intersting you mentions this orbust, I have heard this in the past. Could you please explain long-lived examples of other pines, those pines with needles of groups of two? Or Pinus rigida with 3? Ponderosa? P.bungeana I know grafts well to strobus...

Thanks!

Dax

• billb
    14 years ago

Hi Guys!!

I just checked in and found this really cool post. You need to add P. ponderosa. P. rigida is one of those weird ones though. It seems to only do well on P. rigida. I would still try it on P. strobus though. With all of these you will need to watch to see that the union is good or it will eventully fail.

Just for the record, pretty much all pines are graftable on most other pines. Example, you can graft P. parviflora onto P. strobus, P. mugo, and P. thunbergi though it is best practice to match softwood pines onto softwood (3+ needles) and hardwood onto hardwood (1-2 needle). This way the scion and understock are more likely to grow at similar rates.

The famous P. parviflora 'Bonnie Bergman' that sold in the 60's for about $25,000 at the nursery's liquidation was supposedly on a P. thunbergi. At that time the highest money ever paid for a tree. At least that's the story.

By grafting onto other rootstocks it may influence the growth rate making a intermediate grower a dwarf. This is supposedly why the above mentioned plant was so desirable.

Spruce and Fir are pretty much the same except there are always exceptions like I mentioned above.

Bill

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Thank ya so much Bill. Recently Hermsen was telling me he had better results grafting rigida to ponderosa. He's got a 'Sherman Eddy' rigida evidently that is quite old. So... Ponderosa and strobus.

Thanks again,

Dax

• billb
    14 years ago

Hi Dax,

I think I am going to try on strobus this year. I have a very nice 'Sherman Eddy' that I need to take out. I want to try to have a replacement. I doubt that I am going to be able to move it but it's gotta go. Last year I grafted ponderosa on strobus with great success. I feel impowered now.

Bill

• gardener365
    14 years ago

How about a little more wood to fuel the fire?

The guys across the pond use exclusively:
    Pinus wallichiana and Pinus armandii
    Abies koreana and Abies veitchii

Grafting year-round with nearing frames with wood side walls and a wooden top painted white with poly covering the front (don't remember if it's white poly or clear) - probably doesn't make any difference - built against the north side of structures. That way if a broom is found at any time of the year, it can be grafted...

Deciduous Summer Conifer Grafting:
    Same as for Ginkgo and Japanese maple...
    The needles are stripped (Larix, Metasequoia, etc-) and are grafted exactly as the maple and gingko; also done in nearing frames (or you can use whatever environment already works for you for grafting maples and ginkgo). Wait till the following spring to see which ones break and which ones failed, wallah! (Remove seedling understock after petioles blacken and fall - same again as for Ginkgo and Japanese maple).

Power to the people ! ! !

Dax

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Whoop!

No petioles! You get the idea...

Dax