Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcpotts_gw

help in finding an upright yellow

Mcpotts
11 years ago

Does anyone have a suggestion for an upright/fastigiate yellow conifer probably 12-15'x 3-4'. It can be Pinus/Thuja and if such a shape exists for Picea that would be interesting. Thank you.

Comments (19)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Picea abies 'Gold Dust' superb!
    Thuja occidentalis 'Malonyana Aurea' very nice Thuja.

Dax

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I second 'Malonyana Aurea' (photo of a young one below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Thuja occidentalis 'Malonyana Aurea'

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

You're in zone 7, you could probably grow Cupressus macrocarpa 'Wilma Goldcrest'

This isn't one of the species you requested, but does seem to fit your other requirements. :0)

This post was edited by maple_grove on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 20:27

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

Metasequoia Ogon may out grow your space but for quick impact she's a winner

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Juniperus communis 'Gold Cone', Taxus baccata 'Fastigiata Aurea' and Taxus baccata 'Standishii'

• Mcpotts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love Cupressus m. Wilma Goldcrest but have had trouble sustaining it. The top growth rockets and is beautiful but the roots seem not to grow as fast and we have to stake to prevent our trees from falling over. We usually get these trees from the PNW and then plant them in Va clay.

• texjagman
    11 years ago

I second coniferjoy's 'Gold Cone'. I'm in your same zone and as one slightly narrower than that you could go Thuja orientalis 'Collen's Gold'. It's been reliable for me.

Mark

• gardener365
    11 years ago

This is a Thuja occidentalis 'Malonyana Aurea' started as a rooted cutting 10 years ago. Today, it is 2 meters tall.

Dax

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Dax,

and what is this nice variegated beauty (white-black) behind the tree?:)

Ireena

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Hi Ireena,

She's the only girl in my life. Here name is Sophie. I rescued her from the dog pound four months ago. Her right eye is circled black; her right ear is black; and she has a round black spot on her rear end. All else is white.

She's a labrador for certain.

Here she working in the greenhouse:

And relaxing after a tough day's work:

Dax

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Lovely!!!:) These girls are the most faithful in the world!

Your heart is very loving.....

Sophie is definitely deserving of your love:)

Ireena

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Sophie on the sopha.

Monterey cypress is suited to a very limited climate range.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Thank you Ireena for the sweet thoughts. Sophie is a very happy girl with all her new land to explore. She's also the most snuggle loving dog I've encountered. I rub her belly for hours each night when it's television time and then we go to sleep and she gets as close to me as possible with her head resting on me.

'Gold Cone' can be a great plant if multiple leaders are not allowed to develop because then it splits when heavy snow comes along & it eventually loses it's good shape.

Dax

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Dax, my dog girl Mimi are so sweet too, but loves my husband the most - as a girl:)))))

Here is my Gold Cone. Slow growing, burns a little in the spring sun, but have very nice, dense shape and great color, especially in the spring....

Ireena

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Upright J. communis of much age are rare in my area, I take this to be because of the splitting problem. A plant I bought as 'Gold Cone' fell open some years ago, is still standing out on the front lawn with an irregular outline (having never recovered its original shape).

And this is not a snowy area.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

What is snow?

I top my 'Gold Cones' to keep them smaller and more rounded. Is that blasphemous? I think that they look pretty nice, but maybe I will pay for it later...

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Here's another idea for you...I don't know exactly what it is but hopefully someone can help with ID.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

"Monterey cypress is suited to a very limited climate range."

Yes I was going to say C. macrocarpa is pretty much guaranteed not to grow anywhere on the East coast. C. semprevirens kind of scrapes by in the SE but it will grow...again this makes sense because the climate of the Mediterranean basin is ever so slightly closer to that of the SE US than California's is. The number of non-herbaceous California plants that can be grown on the East Coast is quite small, believe me I should know have tried many of them. Calocedrus and Sequoia are 2 notable exceptions, and of course Sequoiadendron if you're elevated or far north enough.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Alex, Clement was right, it's a Picea orientalis 'Skylands' that started a more limegreen columnar mutation at about 2 metres high.
    Very uncommon and worth propagating...