Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watermelon7

Chill hour reenactment

watermelon7
15 years ago

Has anyone tried reenacting chill hours with pouring ice around and near plants? Does it work?

Comments (15)

• featherhoof
    15 years ago

I have thought about that before. You would have to make several ice dumps a day even if it did work.

• gcmastiffs
    15 years ago

It would be possible with a small tree. This was discussed on the Fruit and Orchard Forum a few years ago.

The easiest way of getting more chill hours for a potted tree is to rent a cold storage locker for a month or so. But that is very expensive here in Florida. Plus, most are used for foodstuffs, and the owners don't want a plant with "dirt" in the locker. I checked into it..

For a small tree, you could enclose it in a large upright pipe or other constructed cylinder, fill with ice, and replace as needed.

Or, just buy low-chill trees and don't worry abput it(G). There are quite a few low chill fruiting trees/shrubs/vines available now.

What are you looking for?

Lisa

• fishead199
    15 years ago

If you lived up north would you think about growing bananas
    or Mangos ?
    You are not up north anymore. Get over it.
    Yee Gads

• gcmastiffs
    15 years ago

Fishead199, **lots** of folks in cold climates grow tropical plants, including Bananas and Mangos. If you skim the Tropical Fruit Forum, you will see many examples.

Pushing zones is kinda fun!

When we move to Wyoming, my Cacao and Condo Mangos will be going with us.

Greenhouses in cold climates, or Shade houses in hot climates -exist for similar reasons- to be able to grow what people are willing to spend extra time and effort on.

But, there are many fruit trees that do well here that are considered "northern" plants.

I have Apples, Peaches, Nectarines, Blueberries, Blackberries, Pears, Plums, Kiwis, and Grapes in zone 10. As mentioned previously, there are many low-chill ones available now, that need no special care.

Lisa

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Lisa when are moving? Not anytime soon? But if you are leaving soon....I want your house and garden :-) Seriously though....are you moving?

• gcmastiffs
    15 years ago

Trini, not for 4 years. Then my husband can retire. We visited Jackson Hole, Wyoming for our 20th anniversary, and LOVED the area! Now all we can think about is moving out West. We like being outdoors and active, and it is just too hot and crowded here for us any more.

Of course, the dogs and potted plants will come with us. I will have a greenhouse, and we'll be getting Mustangs to ride in the State and National Parks.

Will have to learn an entirely new way of gardening there(G).

Lisa

• watermelon7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gcmastiffs, what type of apple trees do you have? Have they set fruit?

PS: I have never lived up north.

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Well I'm glad you're not leaving for a few more years. Although I would have totally considered buying your current place. Your yard is to die for.

• gcmastiffs
    15 years ago

Watermelon7, I have Annas, Pettingill, Ein Shemer, Dorsett Golden and Tropic Sweet Apples. I've read that we *can* grow higher chill Apple varieties here, by simply stripping the leaves off in winter. Mine fruit reliably year after year.

I'm a native Floridian, never lived outside of Palm Beach County.

Trini, my property looks hideous now. The freeze really hurt us. I lost my Nonis, my Cashews, Breadfruits, Papayas and many of the Condo Mangos. Even some of the Citrus were badly burned. The drought is not helping either.

By the time we leave though, it should all look good, unless a hurricane gets us again:(.

Lisa

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

I'm sure you'll have it in great shape. I was just telling hubby about it and how great it would be to move somewhere and have the garden all ready :-)He asked what the house was like...I said I have no idea but she has soooooooooooooooo many varieties of fruits who cares :-) He also said we would only take it if you left a mastiff or two behind :-)

• whgille
    15 years ago

Hi Lisa
    Your move should be great for you and your family. But sad for me, I learned so much from you.

I hope that from time to time we hear about you. Sounds good to be in Wyoming and the Mustangs.

With the freeze we lost a mango and a star fruit fruit. We will be making another trip to Excalibur.

Good luck to you in your next move!

Willy&Silvia

• watermelon7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gcmastiffs, do you apple trees ever have a problem with aphids? Do you have to plant nasturtium to keep the aphids away, or use any sprays? Are the apples in good condition when they fruit?

I heard Fuji and Mutzu apples do well.

Do you have to re-enact chill hours at all for them to fruit?

• gcmastiffs
    15 years ago

Watermelon7, I do sometimes find aphids on the new growth in spring. I'll use a soap spray on them. I use Fruit Tree Spray on them annually (if I remember).

I don't understand your question: "Are the apples in good condition when they fruit?" Do you mean the trees, or are you asking if the fruits look good? The trees are very attractive, and the fruits are pretty. I have mine on dwarfing rootstocks, so I kept them potted, on the patio, for years. (See photos).

I do nothing to my trees to help with chill hours, except I do hand-strip off all leaves in winter. Sometimes they do not naturally drop them.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Potted Apple tree

• watermelon7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What are the sizes of the trees? Dwarf? Semi-dwarf? How big do the apples get, usually?

• watermelon7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump