Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinnend

Where to buy Picea orientalis 'Skylands Seedling'

chinnend
14 years ago

Hi All,

I've been lurking for quite awhile and find you all so informative. I'm a relative newbie to conifers but am an old gardener (in more ways than one :). Does anyone know where I could purchase a Picea orientalis 'skylands seedling'? I'm sure going through withdrawl this year and am reading and surfing like crazy. I'm thinking that this is another 'must have' for me and I'm trying to find it with no luck.

Thanks so much, Cindi

Comments (12)

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

The problem is Cindi, There many different 'Skylands seedlings in circulation, so not really any chance of knowing what you are likely to get

• gardener365
    14 years ago

I sent some scionwood to Gee Farms last winter so expect a few possibly for sale in the future....

If you were to use the GW search engine, for: kmanzfive and 'Skyland Seedling', ...you're likely to see the plant he originally sent the scionwood from, just to me.

Iseli Nursery Corporation during the sixties sent out 'Skylands seedlings' in 6 packs marked for collectors, mainly, back then... That's the origin of however many seedlings are out there and, I have no answer to how many of these six packs were, released.

If I were in your position, I'd contact Gee's to inquire what can be done.

Good luck to ya.

Dax

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Meant to say each 6 pack had only 1 ('Skylands Seedling') which is the way this plant should be labeled to generate assumption to the ('naming') of any certain plant that maintains any sort of history such as this plant has, in my professional opinion, ...having worked with the history and naming of cultivated conifers for the ACS (American Conifer Society) Database...

Bill, Stephen, or anyone else care to share their comments? It is possible to write the name of a cultivar within the current systems of the BCS, ACS, & DCS (Databases). You just "trick" the record. Select: provisional while adding the name in apostrophes...

Dax

• arceesmith
    14 years ago

Some good information regarding Skylands seedlings out there. The link below may be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skylands seedling information

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

where did you find the name???? have any links to share????

the link below .. indicates iseli is trialing some seedlings ... they are one, if not the, biggest wholesalers in the US ....

either email them.. or use their website to find a local retailer.. then contact them.. and see if they can order one for spring shipment ....

i have never heard of it before.. so i suspect.. it may be incredibly hard to find... which is part of the 'collecting' thing .. getting somethign that rare is half the fun of it ...

good luck

ken

PS: skylands is extremely borderline for my z5 ... and you are in 4 .... you might want to think that part out, before investing a lot of money ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Here's Kman's plant:
    GW: Picea orientalis Parade

Picea orientalis ('Skyland's Seedling') - Private Garden.

Dax

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Dax, I think kevin cut the leader from that plant if I remember correctly ?

• gardener365
    14 years ago

That's right Stephen.

Dax

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

I can't recall if Coenosium Gardens still has specimens for sale, but I purchased a few 'Skylands Seedlings' from Bob in 2008.

If he doesn't list them and you're really desperate to find one, you could try emailing him and perhaps he still has one tucked away somewhere.

-Will

14 years ago

or he can graft one for next fall ...

ken

• chinnend
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Everyone,

I just got back in town so just had a chance to read this. Lots of great suggestions. Ken, I'm actually in Zone 5..at least most winters. :) I grow quite a lot of things that are borderline hardy here and they usually do fine..except when we have a really nasty winter which we haven't had in years. We're quite close to Lake Michigan. I've gotten quite a lot of things from Peter at Stonewall Nurseries near Madison. He thinks a Skylands will do fine up here. I guess we'll see.
    I'm going to write some notes to folks listed above and see if I can locate a 'seedling' for spring.
    Thanks Everyone, Cindi

14 years ago

for clarities sake ....

you do understand that it is most likely a grafted plant from a seedling selection ...

which should most likely.. have a proper name for crying out loud .... but i digress ....

i have lost 5 of 6 skylands.. if i were you.. i would go cheap and small .. rather than investing a boatload in a plant that is marginal ....

ken

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH