Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Gathering Momentum

mantis__oh
9 years ago

More and more blooms now, mainly old friends, but a few new faces. The unusually warm and humid weather does not portend well for July and August. At least, we have had sufficient rain in June.

Among the old faces is Boney Maroney, which has better bud count after I trimmed a tree last fall.

All-American Chief stood in proud display:

Punxsutawney Phil is one Trimmer that survived the winter well. Too many others did not.

Dancing on Daddy's Feet is new to the garden (a very large flower). Color is clear, but not sure how much I like it.

Sam Abell had a trio of blooms:

Star of India has some of the best foliage in the garden, as well as some decent scape:

In the Heart of It All had a huge bloom, with great substance:

Red-Headed Hussy was a generous gift from a Garden Web member. Color holds well; flower is large.

The old, reliable Mr. Lucky:

Imperial Empress had a spotless bloom:

Heavenly Starfire with a backdrop of smoke bush:

Marie Hooper Memorial has large, heavy-substanced blooms. One of the first to bloom here.

In the hospital bed, lilium Red Velvet is now blooming:

Comments (10)

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Everything is looking good, Mantis. In The Heart of it All is a beautiful bloom. Of course being a red freak and a redhead, , I really like Red Headed Hussy:) Boney Maroney looks great.
    kay

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Sam Abell is looking good, but Marie Hooper Memorial is my pick of the group. I love the ones with heavy substance and it looks like it should smell good, if that makes any sense. Perhaps it's because it reminds me of one of the Carpenter intros (Mark Alan?) that was a huge bloom with waxy substance and the most amazing fragrance.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Everything is looking good, Mantis. In The Heart of it All is a beautiful bloom. Of course being a red freak and a redhead, I really like Red Headed Hussy:) Boney Maroney looks great.
    kay

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

you really got some pretty ones blooming and I love the hospital bed photo. nice group. and my favorite of all of these is Marie Hooper Memorial.Imperial Empress looks really good, too.In the Heart of It All is a beauty, too.

jean

• shive
    9 years ago

It looks like you have a nice variety blooming now. I like the ones with eyes best of all in this post. Sam Abell and Mr. Lucky are my favorites. The purple smoke bush always makes a lovely backdrop.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Beautiful shot of the lilies and yellow daisies (??). Red Headed Hussy is a pretty thing. I'd be grateful too.....I lost my Mr. Lucky to crown rot last spring so not too dependable here. But then it was in a container where things happen more then in the ground..........Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

What is it about Dancing on Daddy's Feet that you don't like?

Marie Hooper Memorial is one that caught my eye when viewing your pics. I like the heavy substance. You've had heat and humidity so does it hold up well?

Lilies here are budded and may start blooming this weekend. I think I have Red Velvet here. Nice pic with the yellow behind.

Julia

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Julia, Marie Hooper Memorial holds up wonderfully with its thick texture. The blooms also mellow well in the sun. And it's dormant.

It's too early to evaluate Dancing on Daddy's Feet. I have to see it in a clump to see placement of the blooms, consistency, etc. The color is not particularly interesting, but it's too soon to reach conclusions.

• deangreen
    9 years ago

I really like that star of India, so unique!:)

• deangreen
    9 years ago

that Chief ALWAYS steals the show! ( or Ruby Spider) great shots. :)