Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

Advice needed: re dogs peeing in your yard

ianna
11 years ago

I've terrible neighbors. They come from different blocks away but why or why do they need to have their dogs pee in my yard. There are perfectly good boulevards and yet they have their dogs do their business in my yard. I've plants that were burned off because of the pee. Just earlier today, I yelled at 2 girls who were letting their dogs use my next door neighbor's carefully groomed lawn as a urinal. I hate doing that.

Need some advise.. Are there products out there I can use? Signs are not effective and may cause more trouble I fear.

Comments (7)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

A functional but ornamental fence might work, something like a picket fence. We found a spray derived from natural materials that smelled like oranges to me but kept our cat away from areas where we didn't want her. I noticed at the time that there was a similar spray for dogs, but it was several years ago and I have no memory of where we found it.

• ianna
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Where I am picket fences are not used and so instead i have a nice hedge with some plants growing beneath it. It's these plants that are being peed on and now have died.

I will continue to search for products to deter dogs.

• mytime
    11 years ago

I feel for you, as I've had the same problem in the past. I thought of a motion controlled sprinkler, but didn't want to soak the guys who pick up trash or the newspaper deliverer. I tried to think of a cute but pointed sign, but DH thought that was an awful idea. There are items that detect motion and then emit a loud noise and a burst of air, but I think that would get stolen. I used to use Lemon Pledge in the house to train the dogs to stay away from certain areas...not sure how that would translate to outside, but there are products that you spray where you don't want dogs to go. I never got around to actually using any of these products...I just gave up planting in those areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: possibly helpful products

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

You'd think people young or old would be more considerate when walking their dogs, some are and they are to be comended but not very many. We live right across the road from a lovely little nature park. We have a bylaw that all dogs must be on a leash, you must pick up after your dog and certain breeds must wear muzzles HA!!!

For starters, we have a woman that drives down to the entrance of the park, walks her dog back up the side of the road to do it's business, no problem, she bags it, no problem. Then.... she flings it in the bushes rather than walking back to her car only a few feet away where she could deposit her baggie in the garbage can provided for such things. Hubby went out finally and had a few words with her, didn't work, she still does the same ol, same ol and has told people my DH is just a mean old man LOL.

Ianna, hopefully you can find a product that will work, these kind of people will never change, but I'd bet my bottom dollar if someone was continually walking by their homes and defiling their property they'd be singing a different tune.

Annette

• ianna
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annette, it frustrates me to know that we have all forms of products to deter say cats from the yards.. and yet dogs are another issue. I wish there was something that can be triggered to prevent dogs from peeing there. I'll continue my quest.

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

Dogs aren't the problem, people are. Use a people deterrent:
    http://www.dogpoopsigns.com/signs/please-your-dog-your-yard-lawnboss-sign/sku-k-9257.aspx

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

How about planting cactus or something really nasty and spiky right at the edge of your yard? Jumping Cholla could put an end to it.
    Renee

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH