Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Who's still here, roll call 2014

I'll start off....

Hi everyone, I'm a golden oldie from Vancouver Island, Canada, been visiting here since 06/07. DH has been retired over 15 years, our two boys are also retired, daughter still working. To date we have 5 grandkids, 5 great grands and another on the way.
I've been an obsessed plant collector most of my adult life but have a keen interest in heirloom plants especially if they have a history or story pertaining to them. Cottage style of gardening seems to be in my blood, it skipped a generation but I inherited my grandparents zest for this style of gardening. I've always been a bit of a loner but have made so many friends since joining this forum, it feels more like family.
It sure would be nice to hear from some of the cottagers that haven't visited for awhile and a few words from those that have recently joined. Tell us which part of the world you garden in and anything else you care to share.

Annette (aftermidnight)

Comments (31)

• frogview00
    9 years ago

I've been around so long I've had to register two more times, hence the 00 after frogview. Probably, 1999. Because of age/health, I no longer garden as my garden reminisced of Charleston farmhouse just before Duncan Grant died. A bloody mess! But, I do check in frequently and comment a wee bit. I still love looking at every ones photos of what 'heaven' looks like to them.
    Jim

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Great great idea !!
    My name is Jen , I live in tn, about 30 miles west of nashville in the country. Originally from Pittsburgh but this is my home now. I feel like I always belonged here !
    I believe I started here in 2009 . I had no idea on earth what I was doing and was so welcomed here ! I love roses and overstuffed flower beds . I love my new house and am just getting started with fresh beds. I'm 30 , dh is the most amazing man ever , and we have 2 dogs . They are my world ! God has blessed us immensely ! Looking forward to meet everyone formally !

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I have been here since June, 2009. The Cottage Garden forum is one of my favorites-not only for the gardens, but for the wonderful folks here! I am 62 (wow, that sounds old, but I definitely don't feel old-unless I am trying to get up from sitting on my butt in the garden-ha) and live outside Washington DC in northern Virginia. We have one son who is 35 and has been with his sweetie since they were 18 and 19 years old. No grandkids yet, but hoping they will be lucky soon. Jen, my sister-in-law lives in Franklin. Pretty country near Nashville!

I have mostly shade here and between that and our two adopted galloping gardeners, a cottage garden is mostly the stuff of dreams for me. Lots of hostas, ferns, astilbe, anemones, azaleas, etc. thrown around with very poor planning. Some spots are wonderful and others a mess. Sigh. Still, I remain hopeful that one of these days (now that the dogs are getting older and slightly less exuberant and as we have lost several trees), I will be able to create something approximating a cottage garden. Jim, I hope I still have a wee bit of energy and working joints by that time! Of course, if I could retire this mess here would look much better-no energy during school year and spend half the summer vacation recovering. :(

Annette, I am a bit like you and my friends here have become treasures, you not the least.

I am living vicariously through all of you and your lovely gardens.

Cynthia

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

I have lurked for some time but do occasionally comment. I lived up in the NWT for many, many years - always had a garden in spite of the weather challenges there and am back in my hometown/childhood house now working away at creating new gardens and tweaking existing ones.
    Ha Ha - Cynthia - I know exactly where you are coming from!!!!
    I really enjoy seeing everyone`s photos from all of the different regions - always a treat to see what someone can make of a little bit of earth!

• 1212dusti
    9 years ago

I'm a newbie on the Cottage Garden forum, but have lurked here in the past, enjoying everyone's beautiful gardens. I understand what Annette said about gardening being in the blood. Some of my earliest memories were helping my grandma in her rose garden, she had an amazing green thumb, and grew the largest most beautiful African Violets too.

Currently, living in hot, dry Arizona, but hoping to change that at some point. I enjoy looking at homes for sale in various parts of the country, and it's always such fun to see homes where a gardner lives!

I'm a hard working sales rep for a medical insurance company, and found gardening to be a wonderful stress buster. Week-ends usually find me working in the yard with the dogs 'helping', lol.

All of your gardens are so amazing! The cottage style has always been my favorite.

Dusti, friends call me T

• cenepk10
    9 years ago

I've been here on the the forum 3 growing seasons.. I live in Metro Atlanta- give care to my mom who has Parkinson's disease & have a sweet upholstery shop/ furniture store in the Westside of Atlanta with my brother& sister in law. Moved here to a rural area 2.5 yrs ago & once again had to put my stamp on the ground- I'm slightly a compulsive gardener & consider it art. I, too, was influenced by my grandmother, & parents- who had ZERO interest in gardening ( I was a freak who wanted a pretty yard like Grandma ! ). My parents came around & saw the light after raising 4 kids. Daddy loved veggies & Mama loved containers, pretty porches & so forth. Anyhow- my neighbors must think I'm insane :). I spend every free moment pulling weeds, moving pots around, tending to my sweet little garden beds with Twyla & Mr Kitty. I grow many herbs, roses, hibiscus, & perennials. I despise boxwoods because I had a formal house & garden once for 10 years & was a slave to clipping..,so now - I use Mondo grass as my boder hedges. :). I'm 52 & have gardened since high school passionately. I must say- this 1 ace plot has been a challenge ! It had been a pasture- has 5 live oaks ( HUGE) & a pecan tree it really is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get anything to grow w/o CONSTANT water & fertilizer- but maybe, someday- the vision will finally cooperate & gel ! My favorite part of gardening is the alone time w my Lord & being able to commune with Him. Also- my least favorite thing : stinky voles ! Who love acorns... And expensive plants ! Love all here... Live vicariously with all of your GORGEOUS gardens... Thx for reading !

• roseberri, z6
    9 years ago

I lurk a lot , joined in 2008 I think but read a lot of posts for a year or more before that because my technology couldn't quite handle the hookup at that time. I began a rose garden in 2009 and got very involved in that using Old roses and English roses but I have always loved cottage gardens and tried to get that look in my gardens.
    I mainly hang out on the rose, clematis and cottage forums and the ideas, counsel and pictures have been such amazing help! Oh, I also have been to the Wintersowing forum which is Great for getting all those plants one needs for the cottage look!
    I am a Grandma now and my Parents are aging so I go a lot now(everyone is at least 2hrs away) which makes it hard to keep up the gardens and check out the GW.
    I have three married Daughters( no longer at home), DH, and now down to only one furry helper, a cat.
    Like a few others I feel closer to God in my garden and it is like therapy to work in it. I live in Central Ohio.
    Mary,roseberri

• User
    9 years ago

I lurked a lot before signing up in 2012,..posted here and there but planted my feet in cottage Garden,..i do live in a cottage and have a Cottage Garden,..in the Midlands of Ireland beside the river Shannon,..retired and loving it,..living with my nine cats and a dog who put up with me,..coming up to 70 years soon and gardening since i was about 5 years old,..when not in the garden i head off in my boat to think about gardening.

Philip

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Glengarry, you win for best place to live! Lovely-I have a dear friend (maiden name of Shannon) who travels to Ireland every other summer. Her photos are the stuff of dreams!

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Cyn,

Shannon is a great name,..she would laugh were she out and about here as the name is mentioned very often,..of course speaking of the River Shannon,..i am sure she visited some of the places in my videos,..nudge nudge,..she would like them,..say Hi to her from me.

Philip

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I am still around, once in a while...hopefully more next year! We still aren't sure where we'll be living by then, but hopefully, we've found a spot. I'll let you know more, when I know more :)

My husband and I live in Eastern Washington and aren't planning to move far, so same general area. Right now we have short summers, long winters (lots of snow) and muddy springs....but lots of hills, pine trees and a creek running through the property. I love roses, especially old fashioned and shrub roses, mixed in with all kinds of herbs, perennials, shrubs, annuals, bulbs, etc. Even a few trees!

Right now, it's a challenge finding level ground, but if we move where I hope, there are lots of FLAT areas with hills around the property...and another creek! I love having some water (we have such dry summers) so being by a creek means lots of native insects to take care of the garden.

This is a wonderful forum and along with the Smaller Homes forum...has so many friendly, helpful and caring people. I am so fond of you all, even though I've never met you in person and want you all to know that I think of you first (okay, after mom) when I find lovely plants and amazing sales! LOL

I hope you all enjoy the holidays and please take time to appreciate your family and friends. My husband is finally able to walk again and doing so much better...he still is recovering, but he's back to his amazing self, in so many ways :)

• thinman
    9 years ago

I've been hanging out here since 2005. Good grief, has it been that long? I'm far from a top contributor, but will kick in something if I feel I have anything worthwhile. That hasn't happened much lately.

I do like to try the weekend trivia questions on the Conversations side of Cottage Gardens. They're seldom garden related, but fun.

Thanks to all you real cottage gardeners for your inspiring posts.

ThinMan

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

I'm a long-time lurker. I've loved gardening, but didn't have much time for it until my kids were in school full time. I still have limited time, as a hospice doc, but I spend what time I can in the garden or wishing I were in the garden. I spend most of my time wintersowing, and visit the forums that are related. In recent years I've been focused on butterflies and other pollinators, since they are becoming endangered. Cottage-style gardens are ideal to support insects, because there are constant blooms present. I try to concentrate on native plants or plants with heavy pollen production or nectar. This also draws many birds, who eat the insects as well as the ripening seeds from the flowers. This week my husband even saw a hawk hunting in our yard. It is reassuring to me that the balance of nature is at least partly maintained in my yard. Thank you for sharing your gardens and stories.

Martha

• DYH
    9 years ago

I joined in 2004, but haven't participated in a number of years though I still come here to read posts. Blogging and Facebook took over my social side of gardening.

A lot has changed since I was last posting. My first grandchild was born in 2013. My wonderful husband was diagnosed with brain cancer in October 2013 and died in May. I've devastated and missing him so much.

I've not had much interest in gardening since this tragedy and had to get someone to help me here since I have such a large garden. I'm now getting ready to market my home next spring and it will be sad to leave, but it's too much for me to manage by myself. I hope to build a much smaller house next year and start a small garden there.

Anyway, I still love gardens and reading your delightful posts. Good to "see" so many familiar cottage gardeners are still around.

Hugs,
    Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my old blog

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Cameron, I am so sorry to hear this, life just isn't fair at times. 2013 wasn't a good year for me either but fortunately in my case I survived. I hope you pop in here when you have time, let us know how you're doing and I for one will be waiting to see what fabulous things you do in your new garden, you have been missed girl.

Sending you a big hug,
    Annette

• haxuan
    9 years ago

I'm still here Annette (and so are the daylilies grown from your seeds).

Xuan, from Vietnam

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Xuan,

It's been pretty quiet around here lately, good to 'see' you still pop in once and awhile. I'm looking forward to more pictures of your lovely garden.

Annette

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    9 years ago

Been around gardenweb for a long time, started out in the rose forums and learned so much from them.

Branched out so to speak to other plants and garden interests; hydrangea, lavender, wintersowing, heirloom tomatoes.

In 2013, my mom died and my company moved hubby and me from PA to the Raleigh area. We found a great house, new construction so no existing garden - or lawn.

The climate and soil are very different from PA, so i am a noob gardener all over again, lol.

Gardens are proceeded slowly for this reason. Also because i want some of everything; roses, flowers for hummingbirds, bees and butterflies. Except someone has misplaced most of the butterflies. All I saw last year on the butterfly bush were the little skippers, no monarchs or swallowtails.

Also, i need to find out where all the worms went. When digging in the ground I found nary a one. Maybe the resident mole can tell me. Or the fire ants, but I hate to bother them if you know what i mean.

So I have mysteries to solve and new things to learn; hopefully i will post some pictures of something gardening related in the coming year. Most of last years pictures i took were hubby's home improvements and the cats Odin and Thor.

I really enjoy the cottage forum; you are a really nice group of folks and a joy to visit after a long day at work.

Best,

Lois from NC

Original Author
    9 years ago

Welcome Lois, it's been a little on the quiet side here lately but hopefully it will pick up in the spring. I for one will be looking forward to pictures as your garden progresses. They are a great bunch here on the forum so glad to have you join us.

Annette

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

I'm still here :) Usually get to spend more time here in winter and spring as we get excited for another year of growing. I have had 2 usernames on GW since one was hacked awhile ago. I enjoy seeing everyone's pictures the most, probably, as it gives me ideas for combinations, etc. to try at home. I also enjoy sharing pics of my garden and split my time equally between this forum and the Hosta forum. I enjoy gardening for butterflies, bees and hummingbirds so I try to include plants that are both nectar-supplying and pretty/cottagey. We live in south central PA, about 5 minutes from the MD line, towards the top of a hill. My main challenge in gardening is keeping our three big dogs out of the gardens once spring comes, so I have to use fencing to deter them (2 are Great Danes and one is an English Labrador). I also make a point of inviting other people to join GW and visit this forum if I am readign their blogs and they have cottage gardens. Spread the knowledge, I say! Happy Holidays and a safe, healthy new year to all the members.
    Amy

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Hi everyone :) I'm michael, here in Walnutport, PA :)

I joined GW in 09 when I innocently enough planted a few host plants so I could raise caterpillars(this is what I did in my senior year of highschool lol I was a cool kid alright!) and suddenly I was planting and trying every sort of plant!!

I had a rough patch in life but last year, gardening was my saving grace and it is my therapy! I love the cottage garden style, Carol Klein's gardens and just the idea of full flower beds sprawling flowers everywhere in a less formal but inviting way!!

Currently living at home while I begin saving money for my own home...it sucks honestly, the lack of flat land that I can garden with is discouraging! We have flat land but it has my dad's pool and yard for the dogs to run so I garden mostly on the steep hills!!! But if I get my way, In a few years I hopefully will be able to move out and find some better flatter land and start all over! Its a little anxiety over that part but with wonderful friends I've made including fellow gardeners, seed traders, advice givers, I doubt I will have much trouble!! :) Plus I have seeds and divisions from home I will take and these gardens will be "mine" in every shape and form!

Things I learned since Fall last year and this year? Wintersowing is so easy and a great way to start more and lots of plants!(you just have to be patient!), people are still wonderful and right there when you need help or are looking for something in particular, there are other garden nuts, gardening is not an exact science and everyone has their own taste!! and JOY!

Thank you everyone and I hope you will follow me as I go down this road called life and will help me when I eventually do get my own home!

~Michael
    heavenlyfarm

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I too am sorry for your loss Cameron. (hugs).

Xuan! Nice to "see" you again.

And to all the regulars and the new Cott.Gardeners - Merry Christmas Day, and a Happy New Year of gardening.

• prairiegirlz5
    9 years ago

I too am sorry for your loss.
    I have been reading more than writing. Oldest moved to SC and it looks like we could follow now that I lost my job at the library. Excited for the adventure, but devastated by the prospect of losing my gardens. Husband now disabled. Life can be cruel but so happy to "see" familiar faces here along with some new friends.
    I look forward to growing a tropical cottage garden! Vicki

• prairiegirlz5
    9 years ago

I too am sorry for your loss.
    I have been reading more than writing. Oldest moved to SC and it looks like we could follow now that I lost my job at the library. Excited for the adventure, but devastated by the prospect of losing my gardens. Husband now disabled. Life can be cruel but so happy to "see" familiar faces here along with some new friends.
    I look forward to growing a tropical cottage garden! Vicki

• flowerladylorraine
    9 years ago

I stopped back in here today after watching cottage garden videos on you-tube. I started GardenWeb in 2003. I hung out here, in the antique roses forum, smaller house forum and FL garden forum. In 2008 I started a blog like a lot of others. I still have my blog. It's where I write about life, gardens, projects, crafts and beliefs, lots of pictures too.

It is good to see familiar names, Annette, Jim, Cameron, Lavender Lass, ThinMan, Schoolhouse, Xuan. There are a LOT missing though. This forum used to be really hopping. I

I lost my dear husband 9 Dec. 2012. I miss him every single day. We were married for 43 years. These past two years have been a growing/learning process. Life changed drastically. Gardening is great therapy for me.

Even though I live down here in s.e. FL, cottage gardening is my style, I just can't grow the traditional flowers that make up a cottage garden.

I've been a follower of Cameron's blog, and was heartbroken for her loss of her dear husband this year. It is a hard loss.

Cameron your gardens at your new home will be a solace to you. Do keep us posted.

I look forward to dropping in more regularly to be inspired by all the lovely gardens here.

FlowerLady

Here is a link that might be useful: FlowerLady's Musings

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lorraine (((hugs))) I know how close you and your hubby were, like me and my DH. It's so good to 'see' you here again and hope to see pictures of your charming garden in the coming year.
    Yes, some new faces on here I'm really looking forward to getting to know them and of course pictures of their gardens will be most welcome. I'm also hoping some of the absentees pop in for a visit, they are sorely missed.

Annette

• frogview00
    9 years ago

So sorry about your husband, Lorraine. I'm in Ft' Lauderdale now and no longer garden. But I still enjoy looking.
    Do you ever hear from Tom (Token)?
    Jim

• flowerladylorraine
    9 years ago

Hi Annette ~ Yes, we were close and I miss him terribly. I do plan to stop in again with pics of flowers & gardens. May you and your DH have a wonderful 2015.

Jim ~ I haven't heard from Tom in a few years now. He was on FB but I'm not on there. We emailed a couple of times and then that was that. I miss him. He was so excited with his gardens and did a great job with remodeling his home on a hill.

It would be nice to see Edna and Glenda again, and others too.

Happy 2015 to all and may your gardens be filled with LOTS of blooms and good things to eat.

FlowerLady

Below is a photo of the little stationary caravan, converted from an old pickup truck camper. It was still a work in progress when DH left this planet, so the inside walls are unfinished and I've just not felt like tackling that job. He was the builder, I was his helper on all projects. Anyway, it is cute, even has a.c. We were going to sleep in here while we emptied bedroom and laid down new flooring. Alas, another project waiting to be done.

Here is a link that might be useful: FlowerLady's Musings

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

Hi Annette and Everyone,

I have been a member since 2001. GW members have helped me so much. Big hugs to everyone!!! I so appreciate you sharing. I hope you don't mind if I do.

For the first time in my life, I have space to plant. I live in PA now with an acre and a half and a dream of one huge cottage garden. It was a blank slate with self-sown maple trees when I bought here 11 years ago. We have installed many, many gardens but are barely making a dent. I get so far and the ideas just stop (or funds run out).

Basically, I am trying to keep the view which is awesome of the farmlands all around and trees in the distance. It is challenging because to plant a garden next to my one neighbor will be creating a division so I will lose the long green.

There is also a septic mound smack in the middle of the property. I keep threatening to put a round door on it and a sign that reads, "No Admittance except on party business" for those of you familiar with the Hobbit.

There is also a bluebird trail that is used every year and so I also need to keep open space for the birds. So basically I want open space but also a filled cottage garden. LOL! I guess I need to post another pic and get some ideas from you all.

Meanwhile, I placed my first order for 2015 - lots of glads. See what happens when I don't have Gardener's World to watch? Happy 2015!!!

• teakettle2
    9 years ago

Hi there
    I have been here since 2002 - live in the San Joaquin Valley, California - very hot here in summer. I have learned so much from all the wonderful gardeners here. I tend to pop in during the winter when I am planning what to do in the yard. My house and yard are small, soil is clay. I have lived in this house for 30 years, the little neighborhood is struggling right now. I got discouraged last year and just quit working in the yard. Feeling a little more hopeful this year. When I am happy it seems like my flowers bloom and when I am not happy my yard is the same. I am 61, work full time, don't think I am ever retiring, and paddling to keep my head above water. Gardening is my happy place.

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    9 years ago

I used to be a regular here....back around '02-'06ish ? That was when I was a stay at home mom. I still lurk and work in my gardens but can't devote as much time as I used to. I find that when I do get out there, I realize how much I miss it!

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington