Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

ID this?

I took a chance and cross-posted this on the begonia forum. That was simply a sudden thought about what these might be. I saw them all over the place in the southwestern Dordogne region of France and would love to find out what they are. You can see the seed pods if you look closely. Apparently they reseed themselves readily. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• grandmachris
    11 years ago

I think it's an impatiens. I don't know which one.

It looks related to jewel weed which grows here in midwest native but has orange or yellow flowers.

Years ago we saw similarly colored ones with larger blooms and
    solid darker color in the Soviet Union. Serpokov, our sister
    city. They grew freely, bloomed in mid-late September, and
    were about 3-4 feet tall.

Chris N.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

It's an Impatiens. I believe Impatiens balfourii. Not native to Europe. In fact an alien invasive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens balfourii

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, Flora and Chris! You are good. That is it! So sad it is invasive. I will read up to see if it would be invasive here in the mid-Atlantic area. I loved the way it looked in southern France.

Thanks so much!
    Cynthia

• greylady_gardener
    11 years ago

seeds like crazy. seed pods burst and fling the seeds quite a ways. It is so easy to get rid of the seedlings if they are somewhere they are not welcome. :-)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

It may have looked pretty in France but, as I said, it is an invasive alien there, as in several other areas of Europe.

Chris N do you think it was Impatiens glandulifera you saw in the Soviet Union? It is invasive and a major pest here in the UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Himalayan Balsam

• scottyboipdx
    11 years ago

Definitely looks like Impatiens balfourii...and yes...it reseeds like crazy...but the seedlings aren't too hard to uproot when they're small...and they are quite lovely. I had one plant last year (that I let go to see) and this year, as you can see below...I had hundreds!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That looks beautiful scottyboipdx! I am going to try to find one in the spring. I have a spot where I can keep it contained and especially if seedlings are easy to pull. The ones I saw in France were not at all out of control or looking as if they were taking over or unwanted.

Thanks all for your responses.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Scotty, that's amazing! I LOVE It!! What month was that pic?

Hope these Impatiens aren't susceptible to that mildew disease ruining the "regular" ones.

• scottyboipdx
    11 years ago

Hi Purpleinopp...I'd have to double-check to be sure...but I think it was August...they collapsed as soon as our rains returned an pummeled them to the ground! I didn't see any evidence of disease...and they were actually super-tough...I barely watered them, but they did famously in about 1/2 day of sun.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That's cool. I really like those!