Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beopposed_gw

What's on my porch!

Beopposed
13 years ago

The first green pepper on the plant that is my first green pepper! How exciting!

My first tomatoes ever!

Bromeliad pup from a mother plant I got last summer :). Question: Are these guys supposed to grow SUPER slow? This guy sure is taking his time!

Osteospermum -- what an amazing plant. This guy blooms like crazy! The baby flowers stay closed for a long time before opening, anyone know why? Either way, this guy is a joy to have in my "porch garden".

Bougainvillea -- I haven't decided whether to bonsai this guy or put him in the ground somewhere. I've read about bonsai for a month or so and I want to try it out so bad!

Ornamental pepper -- Man, snails LOVE this guy! Its lower leaves are all chewed up! I keep meaning to get some of those beer bait things, but I don't really think the typical garden snail/slug traps will work since it's in a pot. Right now I'm picking the snails off by hand whenever I see them.

Gerber daisy and dead (?) Persian shield -- I came outside this afternoon to check on my plants and water them and I was greeted with a very unpleasant surprise: a completely wilted persian shield. Guess I was in a hurry yesterday and deemed the soil moist enough to skip a watering. Sigh. I knew this guy liked moist soil, but I didn't know it was THAT picky! The Gerber, on the other hand, wilts all the time and comes back up like a pro. I'm hoping that the persian shield will take the gerber's example since I put them next to each other ;).

Buds on my salvia! This one is Salvia splendens, I believe -- the purple one. I cut back the dead flower stalks a couple weeks ago and they have buds again! I'm so excited :).

So that's what's growing in my "porch garden", my first garden ever! After seeing how quickly the soil dries out in my pots that get shade for the second half of the day, I am very doubtful about how well the same plants would fare in the ground where they will get sun for nearly the entire day. Guess if I want a pretty yard I gotta take a chance, right? I think I will keep these in my "porch garden", though, because I've become quite attached to them :).

Comments (16)

• suddensam
    13 years ago

Be aware, be very afraid, your on the way to become one of us. Thats how all of us started.
    Plant em if you got em.
    Sam

• Beopposed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, believe me. I would have an orchard, an entire tomato patch, potatoes, etc. if only I had the space!

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Awesome! I love the teeny tiny pepper. Like Sam said, you're becoming one of us! Great job. Isn't it fun?

• Beopposed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's so fun! I love my teeny tiny pepper :).

• happy_girl
    13 years ago

About the Bromeliad, I have found that if you separate the pup from the mother too early (when it is still too small) it will not do well at all. I had some of mine die before I learned to leave them with the mother until they were a really good size. This may be why yours is not growing.

• Beopposed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

AH, that would make sense. After the big rainstorms here, the mother started rotting so I had to perform some emergency surgery ;).

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

Ah, the first born - isn't it exciting???

A bit of Diatomaceous earth around your pepper plant will help some with snails and slugs.

Oh, and bigger pots will help you to maintain a more even soil moisture - they won't go bone dry so fast.

PS - don't forget to sing to your babies!

~dianne

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 years ago

Nice stuff!
    & FWIW, I use the 'natural'iron phosphate slug/snail bait pellets - bought 'em @ HD. You just sprinkle it around the plants & the snails eat that instead of your plants & then they die. The pellets break down into fertiliser.

{{gwi:841064}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    13 years ago

Your porch is just fantastic! Love the color on your boug. vine blooms. Osteosp. IS wonderful, SOOO pretty and yours looks particularly nice. Is there something else sharing that pot? Thanks for sharing your pics!

• Beopposed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Purpleinopp - Nope, nothing but the osteos! Thank you so much for the kind words, very encouraging :).

Gardengimp - Ooh, cool, thanks! I've since read about diatomaceous earth in a couple of books from the library, and it seems like a good way to control them, or at least dissuade them from eating my plants. I've read that ground oyster shell works well for them, too.

Carol - Thanks! Wow, such good advice here!

• gardencpa
    13 years ago

Beautiful! What a great little garden.

Persian shield likes it damp and protection from the afternoon sun. Somebody once said here that you could practically grow it under water and I have found that to be true.

Melissa

13 years ago

Enjoyed your porch so much yesterday, I came back for another look :+)

Yes, the one thing to never to do to Strobilanthes (persian shield) is let it dry out. I love this plant so much! If I had to choose just 1 plant, this might be it. I bought one little 6-leaf thing about 10 years ago and after a few years had multiplied it into half a dozen plants. I've overwintered potted plants and several years I was unable to do that and overwintered cuttings in water. Last winter I chose to keep just 1 potted plant and I let it dry out & die. I was whining about this to the owner of the garden center Monday and she said if I wanted to buy a whole tray she would be happy to order for me. So sometime soon I should be in purple-leaf heaven. Link below says they sometimes overwinter here in my zone. Will definitely try a few. You are in a warm enough place that you could plant this in the ground to come back year after year, even if it dies above-ground in a frost.
    Floridata Strobilanthes page

Just noticed your comment about bonsai bougainvillea. Boug. is a fast-growing vine which would be extremely difficult to "bonsai" and I don't think you would be pleased with the results. A baby tree or shrub would be a much better choice, especially for a novice. On the bright side, though, your beautiful vine is certainly worthy of a spot in the ground where you can provide some type of support structure, like a fence, pergola, obelish, etc... No such thing as giving it too much sun.
    Floridata Bougainvillea page

To quote you, "After seeing how quickly the soil dries out in my pots that get shade for the second half of the day, I am very doubtful about how well the same plants would fare in the ground where they will get sun for nearly the entire day." Once plants get roots established in the ground, they should be much better able to obtain water themselves, although you might still be using your hose sometimes. Pots for sure need water, sometimes more than once a day if things are wilting. Wilting is almost always a sign of severe dehydration and most plants are extremely stressed by it.

The pepper plant and gerber daisy can't get too much sun as long as they don't dry out. (Peppers originate from central and south America, gerber daisies from Africa.)
    origin of peppers
    Floridata gerber daisy page

• Beopposed
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the great links! They are much appreciated. The reason I wanted to bonsai the bougainvillea originally is because of links like this! The little bougies just look so adorable and perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardencpa
    13 years ago

My persian shield has frozen back every winter for the last three. Each year it has more trouble coming back. So far I haven't seen any recovery this year but I never give up hope until I forget where the plant was!

13 years ago

Wow, Bonsai Bouganvillea sure is cute... I bonsai'd an english ivy once. Right before it accidentally died of dehydration (sounds so much better than "I accidentally killed it,) the biggest leaves were about as big as sunflower seeds. You can do anything you set your mind to!

I got the 8 persian shield plants I ordered from the garden center today and feel so much better. Hope yours comes up, gardencpa!

• AmberSky
    13 years ago

I'd go for the Bonsai, myself. In the yard, bougs demand payment in blood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonsai Boug