Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

bananas and nematodes

castorp
17 years ago

Have any of you had trouble with nematodes weakening/killing your bananas? I've read that bananas are nematode sensitive, and although mine did well last year (their first year) they're leafing out slow and weak this year. It may be the drought, but I suspect nematodes. I'm considering growing smaller varieties in pots.

Thanks.

Bill

Comments (25)

• tropicalfreak
    17 years ago

The owner of goingbananas in homestead did a video showing how to dig and clean and trim roots to keep them from developing pananma disease and keep strong against nematodes. Then replant.

It might be on their website.

Tropicalfreak

• laura1
    17 years ago

Nematodes like that sandy stuff that is supposed to be be "soil". They don't like it when it is high in organics. I've always lived on a lake and had the bananas near the lake...naturally high in organics and plentiful in moisture.
    Unless you have your banana roots and soil tested for nematodes you are only GUESSING.
    If you have not been watering that could be the problem or if you have been watering and not fertilizing with high potassium fert. that could also be the problem. One banana guy told me to use a basic fert. like one used on citrus and then add potassuim to that.
    I hope for your sake it isn't nematodes.

• bananimal
    16 years ago

To whack nematodes I top dress my banana mats with compost. The bacteria in the compost controls the nematode problem. I topdress semianually with 4 inches of mushroom compost and alternate with cow manure for the next 6 months. My dwarf orinoco, goldfinger and dwarf brazilian are really skyrocketing with this stuff. I also fertilize monthly with a custom banana blend of 6-2-12 at a rate of 1 to 3 pounds depending on the size of the plant.

Now if I only could get some help with my Duncan Mango I would be happy. It's in the ground for 6 months now and the panicles have dropped the flowers and the the new stem growth has dried up and fallen off. I also removed the 6 fruits that developed to promote tree growth. No new leaves. The tips of the original leaves are starting to turn brown. Help!

• castorp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the information. I'm going to try top dressing with a lot more compost and see what happens. If that fails, I'll switch to smaller varieties and pots.

bananimal, you should do a post about your mango troubles. I'm sure Lisa and others on the forum would be able to help.

Bill

• bananimal
    16 years ago

Hey castorp,

Just heard from a real banana guru how to jump start the "leafing out slow and weak" problem. Apply fish emulsion per bottle directions. Then topdress with a FULL bag of cow manure, 40 lbs. Continue as directed with the pescatorial effluvium - hold your nose. The area to be covered over for new plants like mine is a 3 foot diameter - plant centered. Form it like a dish to conserve water. My starter collection is 11 banana types and the only "weak" ones that are "slow" starters have red in them - sound familiar? I also blame the crap that the pool builder spewed downrange of the pool - formed with sprayed gunnite - into the banana planting zone. I just acquired an AE AE and I'm afraid to put it in the ground. I guess I'll just have to continue to take it to bed with me at night.

The musas with red in their genetic makeup are known to be "weak" and slow starters - especially when planted in "builders muckage" - like that quote??? Thinking t-shirts!
    My bananification of Port St Lucie is well underway. My wife has directed that I set up a table in front of the house to sell fruit. I planned to erect a banner with the name "Afghanistan Bananastand" ........ maybe not. It was funny many R. Redford years ago - but not now, I think.

I'm getting pupped left and right - any one want one?
    Such as dwarf orinoco, gran nain x sumatrana, red iholene, saba, dwarf brazilian, pitogo, kru, hua moa, goldfinger, ensete maurelii (seeds only - but later) and ae ae.

Dan, a.k.a. Bananimal

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

funny post, bananimal :)
    getting pupped...hahaha - I read it "pooped" first time, started wondering 'why?!'
    Olya

• bananimal
    16 years ago

Olya

I'm no longer getting "pooped" left and right. I don't work for GE anymore!

bananimal

• smittee
    16 years ago

OH my gosh, are yall really growing bananas? the kind you can eat????? forgive my ignorance. I just moved from washington state .......we grow apples pears CHERRIES and peaches....
    I am haveing a blast picking fresh oranges and grapefruits making juice....to the point of really messing with my blood sugar (I am a diabetic)
    I want a banana palm tree ( I think that is what they are called ) is that the same as a real banana tree??? My daughter says No because they produce great big BANANA SPIDERS and we are both scared of spiders........Please enlighten this newbee to Florida....be kind so I don't feel TOO STUPID LOL
    SSMITTEE

• msmarion
    16 years ago

I have a banana question...A year ago February Lisa gave me a dwarf cavinidish...it lived in a pot for quite a while. I finally planted it and about a week later I notived the sten was broken at soil level, it had formed two pups. I broke off the original plant and left the two pups where they were. I fertlize pretty regularly and they do get water but not enough. I've gotten better with water. They get bucket (shower water) three times a week.

My question is how come they don't grow? They are about 18" tall and haven't grown a bit.
    Marion

• bananimal
    16 years ago

msmarion -----------Why don't you try what I said in this thread in my June 1 follow up to castorp. Since these are little pups, put only 2 inches deep of composted cow manure (Black Cow brand at Lowes) to cover a 3 foot diameter. Make shallower around the root ball to enshure the pups are poking out. Get your fish emulsion at Lowes or HD -- brand name Alaska fish fertilizer and apply per bottle directions. My 3 reds are responding well to this after months of "slow and weak" growth as castorp said in this post. Hey, since you live in Palm City, are any of your many nurseries selling bananas?

Dan, a.k.a. bananimal

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

Dan Dan the Banana Man - you are too funny!!! Afghanistan Bananastand - ROTFLMBO!!!

But seriously, thanks for the info on how to help out the slow starters. My DH planted a banana last year and it looked great. This year - not so. I was going to plow it under but I think I will try your method first.

Smittee, plants don't grow spiders! LOL!!! You know what I miss from the northwest? Rainier cherries!

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Thanks Dan I'll give it a try. I've fed them fish emulsion (I buy the Alaska brand at Wallyworld $11 for a gallon) and several other fertlizers even the good stuff from the Palm Beach Rare Fruit Council. They still stay 18".
    There is only one nursery in PC that I occasionally get to (Pinders) I'm pretty sure they don't sell naners.
    BTW where did you get your Ae Ae?
    Marion

• bananimal
    16 years ago

tannatonk --- I don't know about reindeer cherries, but I love reindeer meatballs (canned). My ma used to mail them to me in Vietnam in the bush and the other guys would drool while I heated them up. Wait a minuite --- let me check your spelling.......... oh well. By the way, what the heck is a ROTFLMBOO? Does it come variegated?

msmarion --- AHA...I deliberately put it last and in lowercase to see if anyone paid attention. If I posted my Ae Ae source here you would be hard pressed to beat the crowd. They only had a few left as of a month ago. Try to email me using the GWEB emailer. Keep me posted. It's easy driving distance for us.

Dan, a.k.a. bananimal

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Dan I don't see your email listed or a link through GW. Feel free to email me direct the addy is on my page.
    Marion

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Hey Dan, I am in PSL too. Off Floresta, is that near you? We mow our lawn ourselves, and bag the clippings. I use the clippings in the veggies garden and around the bananas as mulch. It rots and produces really nice black soil. I didn't know any better and planted my fig in the ground but because the soil is so black it grows just fine. In fact it is covered with figs now.
    Those letters are computer talk for "roling on the floor laughing my butt off."

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

It should be "rolling". :o)

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Bananimal, where in PSL are you? I am off Florest.

• smittee
    16 years ago

Tannatonk......U R great ....after I picked my rickety old body off the floor which took great effort.( slipped off the couch before I could stop laughing. I read your comment to my daughter. She scowled and said Yes but they live there....Young people have no sense of humor...

again my question..Is a banana palm and a fruit producing banana tree the same? if Not where would I get a banana tree. Do they come in different sizes ie dwarf? thanks

• JoanM
    16 years ago

Smittee, check out this website. I bought a few bananas from these folks at plant sales. Right now I have 4 fruiting. Are they trees or palms technically? I have no idea. They look like palms. I do know that there are fruiting banana plants and ornamental plants. This company has a link on their website explaining varieties and also a list of which sales they will be at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bananas

• JoanM
    16 years ago

Smittee, here is a picture of one of mine right now.

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

And yes, there are dwaft varites, that get only about 5 ft tall. I have one that produces finger sized bananas that are very sweet.

• bananimal
    16 years ago

katkin --- sorry not to respond in a more timely manner but the freakin' comcast server has been going up and down regularly. Been busy with dad, he's 91, starting daily therapy for bad edema. I'm close to the new Wallymart, off of Gatlin. How long have you been growing bananas and what kinds are they? Real good tip on putting grass clippings into our PSL muck sand. I did that in Charlotte, NC to break down the red clay soil.

Smitee -- I haven't done any study on palms at all. Get really good info from University of Florida, IFAS Extension. Just type in palms, or bananas and click on the UF/IFAS website. That's how I started.

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Dan, no problem. Just happy to meet someone close by who gardens. I totally understand what it takes to care for the elderly. I really don't know what bananas I am growing. They have been mostly pass-a-longs. The dwarf one I had about 7 years and has lots of pups, do you want one?

Are you going to the master gardener's sale in Stuart tomorrow?

• smittee
    16 years ago

Wow thanks for all the advice I am gonna do some study'n and grow me some nana's HHHHHHHHHHmmmmmm You folks are great

• bananimal
    16 years ago

katkin,

Went to the master gardeners sale as you suggested -- got there at 10am. The folks in the know had grabbed up everything, and I mean everything desirable by then. One lady told me they attacked at 9 AM, in a coordinated assault, in packs, and screamed at each other to grab this, and grab that -- holy cow!!!

I was glad to have discoverd the Univ of Fla IFAS center on site. I got some excellent advice and prinouts on plants I am thinking about. Next year I'll be there at 9AM ready for combat -- jeesshhh! Talk about your blue-lite specials, wow!