Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_sword

For the Hoya lovers

Hoya camphorifolia

Hoya compacta variegata blooming second time on same peduncle.

Hoya pubicalyx "Red Button" & not sure on the light color one(could be pink silver clone).

Hoya carnosa "Krimson Queen"

Hoya compacta

Comments (17)

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

What amazing plants! Very pretty
    Olya

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Olta, Thank you!
    This is a different clone of Hoya carnosa Krimson Queen, growing in a same pot with the light one.

Hoya pachyclada.
    {{gwi:408373}}

• abendwolke
    15 years ago

I love your hoyas! I see that I need to buy more, like the pachyclada and the red button :-)

here are mine that bloom right now:

carnosa

and kerrii

Evelyn

• olyagrove
    15 years ago

Hoyas are so unusual....They will probably grow quite well with orchids in a shade house, will they not?
    Are they often fragrant?

Olya

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Jan and Evelyn, absolutely beautiful. They look like jewels.I have loved Hoyas since I was a child for my mother grew them in the ground and they were all over the walls by a side door of the house that led to her garden. Did you know that the word hoya means jewels?
    Jan do you have your hoyas in full sun or dapple or what?
    Thank you ladies for sharing the pictures.
    Felix

• PRO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Olya, the Hoyas are great orchid companion plants, alnost same care. Most of the hoyas have really nice frangrance, some of them have light fragrances.
    Great photos Evelyn, what kind of Hoyas do you have? maybe we can trade cuttings.
    Felix, I didn't know that Hoya means jewels. They sure looks like fine jewels don't they? most of my Hoyas are in dapple sunlight, some are getting western sun in the afternoon but they don't seem to mind. Put them out there gradually so they don't get burn. I love them all.

• abendwolke
    15 years ago

Felix, thanks, I did not know hoya is jewel. but that is a fitting name.

Jan, I only have 4 differnt hoyas, the two above and then H. rubra (you have named it crimson queen), and the fourth one is H. latifolia, I received a cutting not too long ago but it did not bloom for me yet.

Evelyn

• laura1
    15 years ago

Jan thanks for sharing the photos
    Evelyn...I can't get yours. All I get is a box with a red X in it. :-(

My publicaylx is blooming now too.
    This one is blooming but I've been unable it ID it.

• abendwolke
    15 years ago

Laura, yours is a cutie!
    I don't know why you can't see my photos... here are the links to c + p:

http://www.myrtleglen.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3446&g2_serialNumber=2

http://www.myrtleglen.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3452&g2_serialNumber=2

Looks like we are going to need a Hoya swap ;-)

• PRO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Laura, nice photos. Yours looks like Hoya kentiana.

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

THose hoyas are fabulous!!! I have a couple thanks to Jan but none are in bloom. I especially like the photo of that Hoya pachyclada

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    15 years ago

Fantastic hoyas! I'm afraid I've been bitten by that hoya bug. I bought a few at a Washington Oaks sale about a month ago and the lacunosa is blooming now. I can't get over the amount of flower buds that have formed over the past two weeks. And the scent is incredible! Yep, I'm hooked.

{{gwi:857913}}

I also have h. compacta and these two that I don't know their names. I'm sure you can help me with that, Jan!

{{gwi:857914}}

{{gwi:857916}}

Felix, I didn't know that hoya means jewel! Thanks for that little tidbit! Your mother's place sounds like it was very beautiful.

I have the four of my "jewels" on the screened porch. They get a bit of late afternoon sun.

~Betsy

• laura1
    15 years ago

Evelyn I see your pix now. Very pretty and nice photography.

Jan-Kentiana is one of the names that I've come up with but for some reason I'm not 100% positive just yet.

I have several that are trying to bloom but keep blowing! They are happily growing and look very healthy so I'm not sure what the problem is. They are NOIDs and I can't ID them until they bloom. Hmm.

• PRO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Barb, thanks for your complement! yours is still too young. Be patient my friend.

Tannatunk, your lacunosa is beautiful!! smells wonderful! it is so easy to get hooked on hoyas.
    second photo is Hoya carnosa "Krimson Princess"
    Third photo is the Hoya carnosa "Krimson Queen. You can tell by variation is reversed on two plants.

Laura, if you have photo of the leaves it might be helpful iding.

Jan

• cindeea
    15 years ago

OH CRAP!!! I just drooled all over my new night gown!! Just beautiful Jan, you shall be crowned the HOYA QUEEN!!!

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    15 years ago

Jan, thank you for the id's.

Cindee, you are too funny! And I agree that Jan should be crowned the Hoya Queen! She could ride in the parade with Marcia the Coleus Queen. I can just see them sitting on the back of the Mustang convertible, in their capes and gowns, the jewels on their crowns sparkling in the sun, waving to their minions! lol!
    ~Betsy

• PRO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cindee, you are too funny.
    Cindee& Betsy, I'll humbly accept the crown for Hoya queen. HEHE
    I shall ride in a parade with Marcia the Coleus queen on the back of the Mustang convertible with all the bells & whistle.
    Jan

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County