Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hester_2009

still experimenting with digital camera - pics attached

hester_2009
12 years ago

I took a walk around last night while doing a little rain dance at the same time!

My garden is about 9 months old and most of the work involved taking out old, huge plants that were very sad as well as clearing out around the old driveway. So I don't have a lot to show right now, but I'm getting there!

One little moonflower - this is the front of my house which I've posted before. This is the second flush of bottlebrush flowers!

To the right of the last pic - this used to be the driveway, I built the deck and have started planting. the circle is my butterfly area - it was filled to the brim with red lava rock which I moved wheelbarrow at a time!

Another part of the disappearing driveway-very much a work in progress.

This is in the back of the house - an empty, sandy area when I moved - it's starting to come together.

I have a few orchids and this lasts long and has a wonderful fragrance.

Last, a huge passiflora that a friend sent me from her garden up north - I forget the name, but the blooms hang down and smell like ginger. It doesn't get enough sun here to bloom well, but I put it here because I love the foliage and it also blocks the neighbors house!

Well, thanks for looking -

Hester

Ps When I preview this, I still can't figure out why some of the photos are huge - I changed the setting on the camera, as well as on photobucket - must be doing something wrong Sorry to be so "in your face!"

Comments (21)

• crueltyfre
    12 years ago

gorgeous! so serene and peaceful!
    Lori

• User
    12 years ago

That's the biggest bottle brush I've ever seen! Such a beautiful, restful place. You've really painted a masterpiece with your short time there and much back-breaking work. Many of the plants I see would never work here, we're too cold in the winter for the tropicals and too hot for the northern plants. Oh, well, have to make do with what we've got!

• CorpsmanCooper
    12 years ago

Hester I may have to come visit next time I go visit my grandmother in Sarasota! It's beautiful!!!!!!!! Can you come help me with mine? PLEASE!

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Erin -
    thanks and you are more than welcome to visit anytime.
    You'll do fine with your gardens - you have passion and that's the main ingredient.
    I will offer advice anytime, but we live in such different zones, we can't always grow the same things.
    One other thought - I've been here 22 years and it took many of those to learn how to have a successful yard/garden. Many dead plants, many mistakes - as everyone here will attest to. It's sometimes an ongoing struggle, but those of us who love gardening, it doesn't seem like work - it's just what we do!!
    So relax, enjoy and keep it up - from your post, I see that you are off to a good start.
    Hester

• gardencpa
    12 years ago

Looks great! I love the combination of colors and of the pots and other hardscape mixed in. You have the eye!

Melissa

• fl_southpaw
    12 years ago

A wonderful garden! I love the lack of lawn. The benches and arbors are so inviting. You have created a real haven. I see some ideas I'm going to borrow. Thanks.

Julie in WPB

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all
    Regarding the lack of lawn - there was none here when I bought the house as there is no real "front" yard. the driveway comes up to the front entrance (or could be the back because the lot is hidden from the road). The gravel that you see used to be a circular drive and when I told people I was going to get rid of it, most said "Great, now you can have grass)
    Well, after over 20 years of trying to grow healthy grass without much work, I realized I had the perfect opportunity to do without it! So I've just been planting in the driveway, with a mix of liriope and shrubs and leaving the gravel for future pathways. I like the way it's working - so the hardscape here was the easy part...digging through compacted dirt and gravel has not been, which is why it's taking awhile.
    And I love pots - enables me to have tropicals that can get carted into the garage during cold snaps and also moved around when they look good/bad.
    Glad you enjoyed the view!
    Hester

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

What a beautiful garden, Hester! What are the climbing lavendar flowers on the right side of the 4th photo?

• annafl
    12 years ago

Hester, that butterfly garden area is filling in nicely. It's going to be glorious when that plumbago starts blooming more. Are your butterfly bushes blooming yet? I love that shot of your garden. Wow, that back area has really changed and grown in since I was last there. You've done an incredible amount of hard work and it shows. That morning glory bush is awesome! It's been blooming a long time now. How do you keep it that bushy? The one you gave me has two little buds on it...very exciting! What is the small tree in front of it? I don't remember that one. Keep posting- I see something new each time! It's beautiful!

Anna

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Writersblock -
    (BTW are you a writer? I was a book buyer for an independant bookstore and have a soft spot for writers!)
    I'm not exactly sure what that is - a friend gave me a cutting years ago and she didn't know what it was either. It might be a bush variety of trumpet vine - I don't know. Maybe someone who sees this will...It's not really a vine but is loaded with blooms all summer-froze this winter but came back better than ever. I also have a pink variety that I bought at Tropiflors's sale from a vendor who didn't know what it was either!!
    One of life's great mysteries....
    If no one sees this post to answer, I'll pose the question about it tomorrow!

• starryrider
    12 years ago

Beautiful pics...wish I could get mine to look that good.

• pabrocb
    12 years ago

It's all beautiful, Hester. I'm amazed that you have managed to get the new area off the deck so lush so fast.

Carol B. now on Cape Cod, thinking my garden is dried to a crisp.

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Hester,beautiful garden... when can I come over and start cliping (sneaky grin on my face)it looks like a jungle.
    What a great job you've done in 9 months, love it

Happy gardening
    Carmen

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Morning all,
    Anna reminded me of the name of that purple plant - bush morning glory or ipomoea camea. It's bushy because it froze to the ground! I have trouble pruning it now because it's so full of flowers.
    Carol B - where are you on Cape Cod? I spent much of my life there and still miss it. And yes, your garden here may be fried as it was 94 yesterday, windy and still no rain...this time of year is tough on plants and people.
    Have a few steamers for me (real salt water taffy too!)
    Hester

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Thanks, Hester. Yeah, I'm a writer, but mostly non-fiction tech type stuff these days. Your ipomoea is spectacular, whatever made it that way.

(Been doing my best to make it rain by putting out lots of things that can't get wet to air out the past couple of days, but no luck so far.)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Holy mackeral, is that something! Your yard is so gorgeous! It's hard to believe you have only lived there a relatively short time. You sure got it "up and running" quickly! Every plant is perfect and your groupings are wonderful. Hester, I just love it!

Carol

• annafl
    12 years ago

Hester, is that a palatka holly you planted in the back? Cute tree. Also, are your butterfly bushes blooming? I'd love to see a photo of those.

Anna

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A

nna,
    Sorry I forgot to answer your question about that tree - yup, it's an east palaka - hardy yea!!! And here is a photo of one of the butterfly bushes - they are getting leggy but when I try and prune, the butterflies hover and I feel guilty!
    Here's another pic of my desert rose - this plant has frozen at least 4 times and just keeps coming back!

and while I'm here, this is a new plant I got - not quite sure about the name alberia or something? Anyone know?

Last one I love this guy

All for today,
    Hester

• annafl
    12 years ago

Hester, your butterfly bush is so pretty! Maybe someday I will find a spot for one. That white blooming plant is an alibertia. Mine is blooming now too and it is a great plant. You know I'm not fond of white, but when I saw it 2-3 years ago I had to have it, and it has not disappointed. Mine has only bloomed in the summer, but it is very eye-catching. Of course, I planted it it the very back of my property and I wish I hadn't. It's the color that made me do it. It does root at the nodes, but very slowly, so the expansion is quite pleasant and desired. I think I will have to find a better place for mine where I can see it more. Also, it is very cold-hardy and the foliage is disease-free and always looks nice. Great plant!

I also love your bowtie and wish I had a spot for one, but no, notime soon. I will enjoy it at your place.

Anna

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh Thanks, Ana - I wondered if the alibertia was hardy - I have it in a pot but now I know where to put it in the ground.
    Thanks.
    You can always find room, my friend! Butterfly bushes are really big butterfly attractors!!
    Hester

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

Hester, I love your garden. So green. We lived in Sarasota when we first came to Florida, and your first photo says "Sarasota" to me. All your work is beautiful. Liriope is one of my favorite plants. Thanks for sharing your garden.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...