Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natives_and_veggies

tenting the house, what do I dig up?

Anyone know if the fumigation for termites is going to kill all my plants. I just put in the succulent garden in rocks along one side. Should I take them all out? And are there plants that will survive this, versus plants that won't?

How about broms? I've got a bunch in a bed in the front. Crinums? I've got one that probably needs to be moved anyway.

Advice?

Comments (7)

• grega
    14 years ago

Call the company doing the fumigation. They should be able to look it over and tell you what should be moved and what should stay.

• trinigemini
    14 years ago

We are tenting also.....I was told anything that is too close to the house will die....so if you like it I would move it. They only need enough room to put the tent down....anything under the tent will die. Did you book your guy already if not I have someone who will do it for a decent price. Email me if interested. We are having ours done next month while we are away.

• natives_and_veggies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. Sadly, I wouldn't trust Terminix at this point if they said the sky was blue. It's taken me 18 months to get them to honor their warranty and tent the house _ that's 18 months of termites eating my living room floor. So the fact that they say the tent probably won't kill most plants, but if I care about anything move it... well, that's kind of like them saying they'll keep termites out of my house.

Guess I'm digging this weekend and probably next. Ugh.

And Michelle, I do hope you're not using Terminix. They bought out our previous company, so we were stuck with them, but it has been a nightmare.

• junglegal
    14 years ago

I know I will have to do this at some point and I am dreading it. I know there are methods now where they don't have to tent. I'm hoping that will be effective for me as I stuff planted ALL around the house including some palms that will likely have to be cut down :(

On a small lot, you can't help planting around the house. I was told at one point I would have to remove my satellite dish, my fence that butts up to the house and all plants I didn't want fried. That was 2 yrs ago but I know I am biding my time. I haven't seen termite wings this last year though thankfully (I know, I know...they are doing their damage behinds the scenes LOL)

• trinigemini
    14 years ago

Susannah we are actually using a private contractor that was recommended by my dad. He even has someone who will come by for $50 dollars and make sure your plants are cut away from the house (important for us because we won't be here). Its the same guy terminex and other companies would have sent but because we called him privately we are getting a great deal (no middle man). He also warranties.

• imagardener2
    14 years ago

I wouldn't beleive them if they say it won't hurt your plants. We've never tented but when the roof cleaning guy came he said it wouldn't hurt plants and it killed everything it touched. No, washing off the solution didn't help. Everything died.

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

N&V do you have a place to stay? email me if you need a place to crash.
    no I won't make you work in the yard.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH