Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmmalone

I should have know better!

18 years ago

I should have know better! I have spent the last four months or so planting along the creek banks - autumn fern, well lots of different ferns, day lillies, and lots of creeping plants to help keep the banks in shape. Yesterday was the first time i went to have a good look at the damage caused by the heavy rains. (I have also just planted several terraces on the side of my house and that is where I have been spending most of my time.) I felt so depressed when I had a good look. Most of what i had planted has either been washed away or covered by a foot of sand. I feel so disheartend. I guess i will move the sand and then just leave nature to keep the plants it likes on the banks. Thanks for letting me vent!

Comments (9)

• 18 years ago

oops should ready should have known better

• 18 years ago

bmmalone,

I am so sorry for you. I know you have been really working hard on that. I feel your pain. It sounds like my rock garden, accept I didn't have the plants wash away but all the soil in between them, now I have to decide whether it is worth it to try and fill it in again. It seems futile, but the alternative is fried roots since I ahve no idea what I am doping to fix it yet. At least you can get the sand off them. I had planted some water lovers at the edge of my trees in the wet spots, well they are buried under mud and silt, can't even get them out. As someone said in one of my "venting posts" mother nature reminds us once again that she is still in charge as amuch as we may kid ourselves otherwise.

So this will be a gardening season you definitely will remember for years to come what with alll your earlier troubles as well. BTW I think those junipers are stilla t my neighbors if you want them.

• 18 years ago

Some of the crowns of those plants may still be there and you could see some things sprout back eventually.

It's hard to plan for the worst events. Perhaps a few shrubs mixed in would help deflect some of the heavy washing next time. Button bush and Virginia sweetspire are both native shrubs that like creekbanks. Viburnum nudum is another one.

• 18 years ago

I agree with Esh, DO NOT GIVE UP. If you can add some larger rocks to the area, try doing that. They may not help the flooding, but they could very well help hold in the rooted plants. That and the moisture loving shrubs should help.
    Don't forget that this year has been extrordinary. Normally we are all whining about how dry and humid it is this time of year and in the coming month. Next year you may miss the beauty of your little stream if you dismantle it now.

GGG

• 18 years ago

We are fortunate enough to have seen Barbara Malones' garden. Believe me, even if she lost the stuff along the creek, her terraces are going to be fabulous as they mature. This lady has a VISION, and is willing to work to fulfill it!!

• 18 years ago

thanks all for your posts. Started working down by the creek yesterday, and although its going to be a long process, i will stick with it.

• 18 years ago

A few years ago I tossed a couple of "dead" Elephant Ear bulbs over my fence. I guess they rolled down the bank and into the creek. Now, about 1000 feet down stream the bank is covered in what appears to be naturalized EEs. The leaves are not as big as those I have in the garden but they look nicer than the weeds that usually grow there.

Jayman

• 18 years ago

Jayman, yes, some of my neighbors may have wonderful plants later this year/next year. Does anyone have any ideas how I can secure the plants till they have become established. I was wondering about chicken wire........

• 18 years ago

A suggestion I saw on another post was to use gardening mesh. I saw some with the weedproof fabric at Lowe's the other day. Similar idea to the chicken wire, but the holes are smaller, and probably easier to cut.

I have a similar situation in my yard. I've planted some things in there, some washed right away, and some actually survive the occasional flooding, but it's still mainly weeds. :(

Good luck! Once you figure it all out, post your tips!
    Pam

Sponsored