Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morbidan

squah vine borer

morbidan
12 years ago

I have been fighting these monsters for the last 3-4 weeks and I'm just wondering how much longer their season is going to last? Everyday I pick off at least 30 or more eggs and the moths are so quick I have a hard time catching them. I don't even know how they found my garden. I'm probably the only one in my subdivision growing squash and zucchini. ***sigh*** Thanks for letting me vent! :)

Comments (11)

• buford
    12 years ago

They destroyed my beautiful squash plant that was putting out 2-3 large zucchinis a week. I didn't know what they were, this is the first time I've grown squash. But like you, they found me. I did spray the heck out of my plant with something I bought at HD and killed the bugs, but the damage is done. My poor little squash plant is now trying to start over.

I've heard BT helps, but must be applied preventively. And next year at least I will know what to look out for. I think in the south they can have two cycles.

There is a lot more info on the vegetable forum.

• bagsmom
    12 years ago

I'm a victim too!

Now, I will tell you these little boogers have invaded me for the last several years. My husband says I'm not meant to grow vegetables, but I am determined!!!!

This spring, I sprinkled Sevin dust around the young zucchini plants as soon as they sprouted. I continued to apply it around and at the base of the vine, until the plants were well established. I got quite a few zucchini before the borers destroyed the plants.

Now I am going to pull them up and try for a second crop before our first frost.

At least Im getting a few fresh-picked zucchini this way!

• buford
    12 years ago

I've heard that BT is more effective. because it's an organism and will stay active in the soil. Sevin is really only effective if you spray right on the insect or it eats a plant that has fresh Sevin on it.

• morbidan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Squash borers last month. Pickle worms this month! It never ends. I honestly didn't use any insecticides this year, chemical or "organic". I'm seriously considering it for next year but my 3 year old loves to come real close to all the plants and look at bugs and flowers so I'm a little weary about those kind of things. I've been doing some serious research on what is available and we'll just have to see.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I've had SVB worse than ever this year, the worst squash bugs, horrible kudzu beetles, now brow marmited stink bugs on the yard long beans, fire ants on everything and mostly on the okra (I've never really had fire ants much before). Goodness it is a horrible buggy year!
    Luckily I do have tons of butterflies now!!! Lots of lovely praying mantis.

• buford
    12 years ago

What is the difference between squash bugs and borers? I had the borers so I know what they are.

• gardengolfer
    12 years ago

FWIW

My local feed & seed store owner told me last year that if you plant squash the third week in Aug, your mature plants will miss the last cycle of the SVB. I did this last year and was able to pick yellow crook necks till frost killed the Plants. Not one of the six plants suffered a SVB hit. I have just planted this winter's squash.

Larry

• cindy_eatonton
    12 years ago

Hey Larry - thanks for the tip. I may try this too! The SVBs wiped out two plantings of squash this summer.

• morbidan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Buford: Squash bugs look kind of like stink bugs and they suck the sap from leaves. The leaves then turn yellow and brown and eventually die. Squash Vine Borers are moths that lay eggs all over the plant and once they hatch they bore into a vine and eat it from the inside. The plant wilts and dies.

• mairenn
    12 years ago

I'm not sure who's getting my seedlings, but they're getting them at ground level. It's not cutworms, 'cause they're collared. pillbugs? some kind of ant? Or a fungus? I can't find the critter!

• evab
    12 years ago

I planted lonicera sempervirens vines 5 years ago. They were show stoppers for years 2 and 3 but have not put on new shoots or bloomed very much in years 4 and 5. There are numerous, finger sized, woody vines. Should I prune the vines to the ground to promote new vines / blooms? Any suggestions?

Sponsored