Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holligan_gw

Multipler onions

holligan
18 years ago

Years ago in N.W. Mississippi I got some multiplier onions that look similiar to the Heritage Sweet Multiplier onions that are shown in the Territorial Seed Company Web Site.

I am wondering if this is ths same or similiar and would they grow in Wisconsin.

Comments (7)

• Macmex
    18 years ago

I wouldn't know if they are the same. There are many onions out there which seem very similar, at least superficially. The big issue is, in my mind, daylight sensitivity. Some which do well up north don't bulb way down south. I assume it's the same turned around. But since Territorial Seeds is roughly at the same latitude as WI, my guess is that these would do well for you. I'd give them a try.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Have you tried posting your question at the Allium Forum?

There is (at least one) a member there from Wisconsin who grows a large variety of onions and garlics. I'm thinking he shared some Heritage Sweets starts with me, along with several other varieties.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Allium Forum

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

I tried yellow multipliers here in central Wisconsin last year, fall planted. They were part of an unmulched trial for winter hardiness. Of 1/2 pound of bulbs, only one survived. If you decide to try them, I would mulch them heavily.

• starflakes
    15 years ago

Hi,

Territorial sells the "potatoe onion" which is I believe what you are writing about and not the Egyptian Walking Onion which is a multiplier.
    I ordered the potatoe onion and live in South Dakota, same type of conditions you have and the onions will not survive the winters here. They have to be dug up and replanted.
    Also they require a great deal of water to grow to a good size.

So in noting that, I had much better success with shallots in digging them up and replanting them. They produce huge amounts and I also have the Egyptian Walking Onions which will overwinter without protection in the garden.
    Note though, Glen Drowns who sells them in Sand Hill stated the rabbits did eat his off and I have found this year that my horses just love reaching across the fence and eating onions. So they do need some protection.

God bless

• bitterwort
    15 years ago

We've been growing potato onions that I grew from seed purchased several years ago from Ronniger Potato Farm. They don't seem to offer seed any more, but I suspect ours may be the same as the Yellow Potato Onion they list as plants. They're perfectly hardy here in our zone 4a garden and have been spreading decently, though thankfully they're not as invasive as the Egyptian Walking Onions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ronnigers Potato Farm

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

I planted 6 potato onions last fall and 5 survived the winter with no mulch.

When do you harvest them?
    How do you dry them?
    How do you store them?
    Which ones are best to replant?

thanks,

Dean

• bitterwort
    15 years ago

Well, so far, Dean, we've looked at them and watched them multiply and saved seed from them more than we've actually eaten them, but I think you can basically dig them out whenever you want some green onions (with smallish bulbs sometimes) for eating. My husband dug some earlier this spring before they started flowering and declared them too strong to be edible (they were odoriferous), but they tame in a plastic bag in the refrigerator and work fine in a stir fry. The patch has increased mightily. I don't dig them except to eat, and I store them in the ground where they're growing. No muss, no fuss, no need to replant. (Other experiences may differ.)

Bitterwort