Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmgdvm

Starfruit Jam...didn't set

gmgdvm
11 years ago

I'm puzzled, because in all my years of canning and jam-making, I've never had much problem with my jams not setting up. I've made two batches of starfruit jam this year, and neither one of them really set up at all. I used the very same recipe last year, and had no problems at all; the jam set up beautifully. I can't think of anything I've done differently.

Does anyone know the pectin content of starfruit? Is this a jam that can be simmered to the gel point, without using added pectin? Did I just get lucky last year?

Here's the recipe I used:
10-15 ripe starfruit, sliced, seeds and brown patches removed, and pureed to make 4 cups
1 package Sure-Jel
4 cups sugar
Zest and juice of 1 orange

Combine starfruit puree, zest, juice and pectin in a pan, and bring to a full boil. Add the sugar, and stir until dissolved. Bring to a full boil again, and boil for 1 minute. Pack in hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4" head space, and process in BWB for 10 minutes. Makes about 7 half-pints.

Comments (6)

• pqtex
    11 years ago

Our starfruit isn't producing yet, so I haven't made any jam, but I think starfruit would be too delicate to cook long enough to get a set without pectin. I have made it a habit to add an extra tablespoon of pectin to each batch of jam I make, regardless of which fruit I'm using. (one full package plus 1 TBS). I've never had a problem with the jam/jellies setting since I started doing that. I just save the leftover pectin until the next time (sealed tightly) I make jam/jelly.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Acc. U Florida Ext. "Tropicals, including Carambolas, vary in natural pectin, acid, and sugar content from one season to another due to the variations of the climate."

Plus if it was even slightly over-ripe the pectin would be substantially reduced.

Dave

• gmgdvm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jill, that's a good idea. I have Sure-Gel, and also some of the Ball pectin in a jar, so would definitely have the flexibility of adding extra to the batch. I saw a few recipes online for starfruit jam without pectin, but I had the same reservations that you expressed....I'd pretty much end up with starfruit butter if I cooked it long enough to get thick without the pectin.

Dave, thanks for that. I looked it up on the U-F site...guess I must have skimmed over that part! I think that must be the problem, different growing conditions, and these fruits were a little more ripe than the ones I used last year. The seasonal variation makes sense too...my SIL said that she was having trouble getting her jam to set as well.

Mystery solved! :-) Thanks for your help!

• pqtex
    11 years ago

I don't know if different brands of pectin will work together or if they react differently. Might work, but just keep that in mind.

• gmgdvm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jill, good point. I guess I can't just assume that pectin is pectin!

I have a neighbor with an extremely prolific starfruit tree, plenty of jars, sugar and pectin, so I think I'm going to try again! The jam that didn't set is still tasty; I opened a jar last night, added diced onion, garlic, a little lime juice and cilantro, simmered it a while, and used it as a sauce on pan seared trout....Yummy.

Thanks again for your input.

• HU-914814250
    2 years ago

Use the rind and juice of one or two lemons and your jam will set up.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!