Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Blooms on Monday

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

The weatherman says we will have a break in the weather by Thursday for a brief time at least.
So here are some new ones and I may just sneak in a repeat ;-) So many are opening and the seedlings are going gangbusters too.

OSTERIZED - new this spring so can't give an assessment but goodness what a large bloom.

BLUE RIDGE BUTTERFLY - also new this spring. I enjoy having blooms with watermarks so this one fits the bill. Too new to assess but I'm liking it.

WHIP CITY BREEZIE - newly planted last fall from Lori Jones and this one took off quickly this spring. Nice tall scapes, plenty of buds and a large bloom.

KIPLING - has been here a few years but is one of those daylilies that has good and bad blooms ( Like WORTH IT ALL). I love the rich orange color of KIPLING.

PINK WHIP TIPS - has been here a few years now and also performs. Tall scapes, plenty of buds.

CERISE MASTERPIECE - scapes appear shorter this year.

CARNIVAL IN MEXICO - one I wanted for a long time after I saw it on a garden tour. Double in fan count already and has really nice tall scapes. Can't remember about buds but who cares since it has only been here since last summer.

LAVENDER BLUE BABY - second year here. Not alot of scapes or buds but I do love the bloom.

NORDIC NIGHT - I'm so disappointed in this one. It may increase really well, have lots of scapes and buds but the darn blooms don't seem to want to open fully. I have this planted by JAMAICAN LOVE and I've decided this one has to go and put another one in its place to compliment JL.

G WILLIKERS - a small bloom but what a grower and loaded with scapes and buds.

GEECHEE SUNSET - gearing up for another bloomfest this year.

and I'll stop now as I'm gettng to overload stage but first wanted to finish with WINTER TREASURE. Always opens so well and give a nice transition in the garden.

Julia

Comments (14)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice blooms Julia. I love your Carnival in Mexico. I have that one on order right now. The color of the Lavender Blue Baby is very nice. That is another on that is on my wish list. It's always nice to have some white in the garden and the bloom on Winter Treasure looks perfect.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

WHIP CITY BREEZIE is a really nice one but CARNIVAL IN MEXICO is my favorite with LAVENDER BLUE BABY coming in second.

• lalalandwi
    10 years ago

Wonderful blooms! I am such a sucker for those watermarks so Blue Ridge Butterfly is my fav. Cerise Masterpiece looks very stunning too!

I so see your point on Winter Treasure! You definitely need solid bones like that for transition.

• daylilybedmaker
    10 years ago

Julia,

I am surprized that NORDIC NIGHT doesn't open well for you. In my zone 5 garden, it always opens well. For all of you reading this, Julia is about 45 minutes or so north of me, but she is a zone warmer, because she is near one of the finger lakes. One of these days I will have to tour your garden.

David

• shive
    10 years ago

You have some very nice new daylilies. I like the looks of Osterized and Whip City Breezie. Pink Whip Tips sure has nice scapes! I always love photos of Carnival in Mexico, but I sold mine because the photos looked so much better the colors on the in-person blooms. It had muddy undertones in the petals here. That's a shame about the Nordic Night blooms not opening well. It's such a dark rich looking purple. Cerise Masterpiece looks so much like Cerise Beauty, which I have and which also had short scapes this year. I think my very favorite one is Kipling. With its edge, watermark and form, it's a very appealing orange.

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Beautiful shots, Julia. For pure color, I'd pick Cerise Masterpiece. I've always admired Geechee Sunset, and your photos are great. I see what you mean about Lavender Blue Baby. I think we all have a few daylilies we hang on to even though they're not the best performers. For me, it's been Worth It All. I'd be happy with LBB just because of that pretty face.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

oh geaa,I really like CERISE MASTERPIECE its gorgeous.,sooo pretty.CARNIVAL IN MEXICO is a beauty, also.That bloom on LAVENDER BLUE BABY is a gorgeous bloom.I love that one and is my favorite.I have loved NORDIC NIGHT for years, love them deep purples like that.WINTER TREASURE is a beauty, too. I love the white ones. so many beautiful blooms today Julia.

jean

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

What a bevy of beauties, Julia! Blue Ridge Butterfly has a lovely face. And Carnival in Mexico is gorgeous. Kipling is my kind of bloom...orange and ruffly. Lavender blue Baby is really a pretty one. Geechee Sunset is another of my kind of bloom. I like the different form of Whip City Breezie. It looks as if it is waving at you.Cerise masterpiece is a gorgeous color and lovely bloom. I like the colors of Nordic night. If I had to choose one, it would be Kipling I guess. Love that orange.
    kay

• lalalandwi
    10 years ago

David, that is so interesting about your observations with Nordic Night. Since you live so close, you should check it out. What 1 person may constitute as a bad opener is not necessarily what another opinion is. You pretty much gauge that on the rest of the plants you have for comparison? You are only 45 mins from her. Please check it out & let us know :)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Geechee Sunset has been a very dependable performer for you, and it looks great every year. My Carnival in Mexico has been a little slow in taking off, but it is not in the best location. I can see why Mr. Butters comes from Osterized.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the comments.

David: I've had NORDIC NIGHT for a couple of years but each year it does the same thing and this year, with all the buds and scapes it hasn't gotten better. I'll have to see if it is bud hang-up from all the buds I have this year but prior years it has done the same thing. Let me know if you want to stop by. I'm sure you must have your hands full with the "crew".:-)

Camera battery died this morning while trying to take photos. Should have checked the battery level last night. Overcast again today with thundestorms predicted for this afternoon. Feels cooler this morning but the muggy weather is creeping back in.

Julia

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Hi Julia,

CARNIVAL IN MEXICO is my favorite today. I still remember the first time it ever bloomed in our garden - it was huge. Sorry to hear about NORDIC NIGHT as it was an excellent performer in our zone. CERISE MASTERPIECE is the ultimate in sheer beauty.

Nancy

• deangreen
    10 years ago

great photos! I think I like the winter one the best. :)

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Winter Treasure is my favorite! I also love Cerise Masterpiece, Osterized and Lavender Blue Baby. Love that shot of Geechee Sunset with all the scapes and buds. Nordic Night is beautiful too, I wonder why they do that.. especially when only one petal won't lay flat or recurve. The front flower looks well opened

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm