Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tannatonk23_fl_z9a

I love early mornings in the gardens!

tannatonk23_fl_z9a
16 years ago

I get up early. By choice usually. I like to take my coffee outside and watch the dark sky give way to morning. The first birds I usually see are the cardinals - always a male and female together. Then the blue jays and morning doves come and get their treats. There is a pair of red bellied woodpeckers that live in a hole in a dead pine tree. They take turns going in and out of the hole. I'm hoping they are raising a family in there. Saturday a brown thrasher showed up to scratch around. Haven't seen them for a while so that was a nice surprise. But what never fails to thrill me are the hummingbirds. They always go first to the yellow shrimp plants. They visit every bloom! Then it's off to the purple porterweed, red cannas and coral honeysuckle. I love that it's so quiet at that time of the morning that I can hear the hummer arrving! I wish tomorrow was Saturday. LOL!!!

Betsy

Comments (11)

• ladybarber101
    16 years ago

OO how I wish I could get moving before the dogs, kids and the hubby.. I envy you thank you for the daydream... Maybe I will have to try for an extra early wednesday (my day off)!

Donna

• corar4gw
    16 years ago

I spent last week with my sister who lives in the mountains of N Carolina. Her morning routine is to spread bird seed on the patio table while the coffee maker does it's thing. By the time she can get a cup of coffee to take to the porch, the bird show has begun; first the jays and doves, then the hummers to the feeders she's kept going for years. And it's quiet enough that we can hear the hummers "squeek" when they dive in to chase another hummer from the feeder. The females are the most persistant, by the way. In the evening, we watched the big old fat groundhog eat as though he were going to hibernate any minute. And 24/7, we could hear the river rushing along it's way down the mountain. Peace on earth! cora

• the_musicman
    16 years ago

That is a beautiful image, Betsy.

I rise early (2 year old at home), just before sunrise... do the breakfast/coffee thing, then I am outside with my son for the next 2 hours planting/pruning/watering/etc,etc. He is my helper ;)

Thing is, I'm establishing a garden and landscape on what was nearly a blank slate when we moved in two years ago. At some point, I will be able to rise at my own pace, grab my coffee or tea, and stroll around my peaceful plant-filled retreat.

'Till then, I gotta do the work to make it happen :)

Good things.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

tannatonk I am there with you every morning, except if I have had a bad night and I sleep in a bit. I love seeing the sky change and everything come alive at the break of dawn. It's my most peaceful time hearing the birds wake up. I have a pair of cardinals that usually hearald this sunrise. Taking in the heady smell and taste of coffee-I prefer mine iced this time of year with mocha and cream. I just am so freaking fascinated at seeing a new day emerge, dew on plants and flowers, the smells of blooms and earth. Yep...mornings are the best!! Come by one day for coffee. m'dear!

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, Donna, you have to try the early morning thing! I can't imagine anyone not enjoying that time of the day.

Cora, your week in the mountains sounds like heaven to me! Lucky you! I once spent a week at a cabin in Franklin NC in the fall. It was magical.

And Musicman, your situation sounds like mine - minus the two year old that is. lol! I have a DH so that's kind of the same except I'll bet you can train yours easier than I can train mine. LOL! I've also only been in this place for 1-1/2 years and it was pretty much a blank slate. It's amazing how fast it's taking shape but I work at it every chance I get. I think it's wonderful that you spend that time with your little one. You're teaching him good things!

And Cindee my friend, I would love to share an iced coffee with you some day!

You all have sweet dreams. I'm off to la la land.
    Betsy

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

As the jewel painted sky slowly slides under the cloak of night my mind drifts into another world where the sounds that are muted during the light of day suddenly burst into a crescendo of music and the fragrances of the day that have been overwhelmed by all the heat and frenzy of the sun sweep across my heightened senses teasing and flirting as they tempt me to put a name to their heady aromas. I sit under the stars and watch as they slowly waken and paint the sky into the most gorgeous map of the world. A map that can direct any person regardless of their location. I watch as the lights wink from airplanes circling overhead and the occasional shooting star that blazes across the dark night palette. Slowly my body unwinds and relaxes as the sounds of night birds caress the darkness with their sweet haunting sounds as one by one the lights in the homes dim and the houses blend into the blackness that speaks such color. Scents taunt the ragged nerves of my soul and massage them into pleasing chords of bliss. Fireflies illuminate the dark as if thousands of small candles flicker their lights around the area. Occasionally the bark of a seal brings me back into reality but then as the soft warm summer breeze teases the hair surrounding my face and sweet sweet nectar fills my nose with heady fragrance I let go and drift once again into a land of mystery and delight.
    The clock strikes midnight and I slowly stroll around the garden for a lingering goodnight to my babies and then crawl into a freshly laundered and cool bed only to awaken around 3 am for another quiet time in the garden. I amble around the streets that are not quiet as they are alive with the nightlife that awakens as the sun disappears. It is another night spent communing with the other world of shifting senses and I greet the new day as lights once again come on one by one in the slumbering houses and the rosy fingers of dawn begin decorating the sky with jewels of light. Flowers awaken and turn their faces upward to greet the morning and once again the nightly beauty and life of each garden fades into the heat of a new day and the morning crew takes over. It is at this point that I thank God for allowing me to witness both worlds and for all the intricate work he put into the beauty of a single flower and leaf. Enjoy the new day and save some time to experience the night. Linda

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Linda .... that is beautiful. Thank you.

• naplesgardener
    16 years ago

Linda-do you live near the zoo?
    I was with you up to the "bark of a seal" and then whoa where is she?
    Reading your words makes me feel bad I watch so much TV instead of sitting outside--but it was so HOT yesterday I just vegetated in A/C after getting plants planted and mulched.

Denise

• scents_from_heaven
    16 years ago

I live directly behind Sea World in Orlando and listen to the seals and walrus daily. Linda

• cindeea
    16 years ago

My morning Iced Coffee stroll brought me 2 surprises. The Pudica Plumie cutting Joanm gave me last year has huge buds on it (so glad I didn't cut the spindly thing back joan) AND the brand new cutting Katkin sent me is making flower buds instead of roots! YIKES. I'll post pics when they open. This morning was perfect to sit at potting bench in inhale the fragrances. That side of the house stays shaded until noon. Have a beautiful day garden folks!

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

I love the quiet morning too, except it isn't so quiet if you listen.
    Cindee, I am so happy the pudica is doing well for you. :o)