Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

Rain, Rust Report and Some DL's on Rebloom

avedon_gw
11 years ago

Finally, some "real" rain, not just the light to moderate showers we have had for a week or more. Sunday evening, when we had given up hope of any more rain, a thunderstorm started up just south of us and actually moved right over our property. Fortunately, it wasn't bad, but it did put down 1.20 inches of rain in less than an hour and a half. We were thrilled, and when we added up all the daily rain, we came up with 2.69 inches. This may not sound like much, but for this happening in July, it is super wonderful. At least, we won't have to water plants for awhile, and there may be a possibility of more rain this weekend--fingers crossed.

While all this rain is great, it is also great for the rust, evidently. I have been looking online and calling local gardening sources to try to locate the fungicides we need to spray. I can get daconil and the 1.55 percent propiconazale, but not the 14.3%. Guess I will have to order on the internet for that. I have found more rust, much to my dismay, but I'm not going crazy. It will be taken care of one way or another. With this rain and possible more, I'm not sure we would want to spray now, wait for drier weather.

It was a great surprise to walk out in the main garden this afternoon and see Beautiful Edgings in rebloom. There are also a few more, and the surprise picture was taken Monday morning. Sorry it is not better, but trying to take a photo of two birds in motion is not easy, plus I couldn't get as close as I wanted. Nevertheless, I was amazed to see the 2 pileated woodpeckers going round and round the tree trunk. Avedon

Beautiful Edgings---This has turned out to be such a marvelous plant. This scape has ten more buds, and the other scape has seventeen buds, plus there is another scape coming along.

Buttered Popcorn really put on a show with five, I just called it a "Bundle".

Just wanted to show Buttered Popcorn with scapes and buds. This one should keep going for quite awhile.

Miss Tinkerbell with rebloom ,but not a good flower.

Orchid Corsage taken yesterday afternoon, too much sun.

Orchid Corsage taken this afternoon with cloud cover, this is the last one--sob!

Princeton Silky still has several more to bloom, it was looking pretty this p.m.

"Bold Tiger Lookalike" has a very nice scape and more blooms to follow. The bad news is, it now has rust, but it will be sprayed and should be okay.

This is the "surprise" picture. I had seen the woodpeckers before, but was never able to get a photo of them until I got lucky with this one--not the best, but I think they can be seen fairly well. They are magnificent birds, and DH and I are always happy when they visit us.

Comments (17)

• JJOF
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love the woodpecker shot! Your daylilies are beauties. I really like Beautiful Edgings and Bold Tiger Lookalike best.
    Jason

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

The Bold Tiger lookalike has really improved this year. The shot of the pilated woodpeckers is priceless! I've only seen them a couple of times, but the size of them is tremendous! thanks for sharing them.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Yes, but your garden needs the rain so that is good. Those blooms are all looking good. I have to pick Buttered Popcorn. Such glowing color!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Aren't those the inspiration for the Woody Woodpecker cartoon character? I'm pretty sure I've never seen them in someones garden before, just on "nature" shows. And a pair of them to boot. I'm just really impressed....I have to pick that Bold Tiger lookalike as my favorite. Sorry to hear you have rust......Maryl

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh- I have never ever seen one! They are on my bucket list. Thank you for posting the photo- it really shows just how big they are.

Renee

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, everyone, just a brief message before I go off to do the shopping. Thanks for all the kind comments about the Dls. I have found scapes on more of the daylilies. There are SIX (amazing) on Royal Occasion, one each on Prester John and Jellyroll Truffle, and one on a real disappointment, Over The Top. This is the fourth year for this one, and I'm wondering what the flower will look like. The few it has produced were ugly, so I hope this time around something good will show up. With the rain we have gotten, I think I will be finding more scapes.

Maryl, you are so right. The pileated woodpecker is the inspiration for "Woody Woodpecker". Renee, how neat that seeing a woodpecker is on your bucket list. I hope it happens for you. Yes, they are big birds, and when they are pecking on the trees, it sounds like a jackhammer, compared to other woodpeckers. Avedon

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Hi Avedon, Beautiful Edgings is so aptly named! It looks perfect! Excited to hear about all of your rebloom. On your Buttered Popcorn is it a pure yellow or a yellow/orange? It is so bright in your pic especially with the "bundle."

Love your woodpecker photo, how neat to of seen them so low! We have a couple but they are always way up in the trees. And you are right their pecking is super loud. It reverberates through our woods here.

Somewhere on one of the forums here I was reading where some GW's were having trouble with them pecking holes all in their wood house. Yikes don't want to see them that close! lol

Rena'

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rena, thanks for the message. Today Beautiful Edgings has two enormous-to my eyes-blooms and they are so lovely. I counted the buds on the scape that I thought had 17, but now there appear to be 20 buds!! Either I was wrong the first time, or else BE is bud building--hope it is the latter. Well, I hope no one's home is being damaged by woodpeckers, but I know I have heard that they can do it. If they try it here, they will have bent beaks--our house is brick. Avedon

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rena, sorry I forgot you asked about the color of Buttered Popcorn. Here in our garden it can often lean to a "golden" color, more than a pure yellow. AHS lists the color as "Butter Yellow" whatever interpretation a person puts on that. We think it is great regardless, and thankfully it is not the color of Cheetos, which I would not like at all. Avedon

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS is a beauty. I love it. and your BUTTERED POPCORN is very nice, too.Mine didnt bloom at all this year and keeps shrinking.Last year it only had maybe half dozen blooms, but the year before it was a pretty one.Not a drop of rain here,and everything is suffereing, even tho I am watering every day, its just not enough. and we back in the furnace heat again with 95 right now, out and heat index is 102. suppose to be 100 plus tomorrow and feel like 110 they said. not looking forward to it at all. I had to go out and wait on the mail man this morning to get a letter mailed,and it was so hot out. He was only a hour and half late today., but better then 3 hrs late like the substitute we had monday. I almost got sick out there waiting for him.

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Glad your getting rain. We got a bit over the weekend but not anything that matters. Seems all the storms are going south or north of us.
    I love the woodpecker pic. It is always a great day when you walk outside and see blooms :-).

Julia

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Love the woodpeckers and Beautiful Edgings

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, so sorry to hear you have had no rain, it is beyond frustrating in a drought situation. Wish I knew why your Buttered Popcorn didn't do well, it is turning out to be a real winner for us, maybe it's the drought. As I recall, our BP did not do well last year, when we were suffering with high temps and no rain. Julia, I will wish the rain to come down at your house, too, it makes all the difference to the plants. LeeAnn, just sent messages to your posts, I am so envious of your beautiful place, you can be proud. Avedon

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Bold Tiger Look-A-Like is my favorite. The photo of the Pileated Woodpecker is amazing since I can never get a photo. I hear and see them but they are camera shy, I suppose!...Ellie

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I'm so happy for you that you got some decent rain. It seems everyone needs it this year. It does get tiresome dragging the hose around and just adds extra work to our already heavy workload. The pileateds are wonderful! I have never seen them down so low on a tree and normally they are shy birds so getting a picture is a major feat.
    Good job! We have them here because of all the woods surrounding my property but they make sure to hide when I get the camera out...LOL. I just think they are gorgeous birds and every time I see one I am in awe.

Celeste

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Thank you Avedon! lol I figured the color description for Buttered Popcorn would be "Buttered Popcorn." Thank you for answering and lol on the bent beaks too!

I read a report awhile back that said repeated watering a cactus garden with tap water will cause them to quit growing as a response to the chemicals in the water. But I believe the same thing applies to other plants as well. It seems the tap water just keeps them alive but they don't like it. I have a eucalyptus that shows within 24 hrs. if I accidentally water it with tap.

It is very good that you have gotten a good rain Avedon. We've been very fotunate this year and have had plenty also.
    It's so hard when you don't get it.

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellie, Celeste, and Rena, it's great that all of you have the pileated woodpeckers in your area. Maybe you can get a picture sometime, hope so. It was pure luck that I got the one that I did--I thought sure they would fly away before I got close enough to take the shot. Guess there must have been some really tasty bugs on that tree trunk they didn't want to miss munching! As for watering plants, we have a well, and it keeps them alive, but it is still not the same as rainwater. DH says if we don't get any rain this weekend, he will be out dragging hoses around once again. Avedon

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor