Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
got_bullmastiff

I have a TOMATO!

got_bullmastiff
14 years ago

I'm so excited! I'm growing a container tomato plant for the first time ever (growing anything actually) and there are about 14 green tomatoes on it..

except one that is almost all the way red!

I've heard different things... some say pick while still under ripe and let ripen on the counter and some say to wait until they are ripe and keep in the fridge until ready to use...

My question to all of you is what do you do? I'm probably going to just eat these instead of can them since 14 tomatoes at various stages of ripeness will probably be difficult to process at once.

Comments (14)

• jude31
    14 years ago

I would say let it ripen, then pick it and DON'T PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say. Enjoy that tomato....I'm right behind you with 3 turning and one little cherry tomato almost there. The only time we pick them uderripe is if the birds are getting to them.

jude

• opie12
    14 years ago

I usually let the early ones get fully ripe on the vine...since we are usually still getting a decent amount of rain then, so the birds don't have as much of an inclination to peck them....but now, in such heat and no rain since 6/4.....I get them at the first blush and sit them on my kitchen table or counter to finish ripening....they taste just as good, and I eliminate the possibility of worms, birds, or other critters beating me to them....

As jude said, don't put them in the fridge! They lose flavor that way...

• cabrita
    14 years ago

I third the "DO NOT PUT IN THE FRIDGE" recommendation. Tomatoes get mealy if stored in the fridge.

I have several green tomatoes on my pink Japanese tomato plant, a couple of them look like they will turn soon. I will harvest at the very first sign of blush. The reason is that if they finish ripening on the counter (I use hanging baskets) they will taste just as good, and the squirrels, birds, raccoons, stinkbugs and dogs (yes dogs) will not get as many. This is one of the reason that this year we are growing quite a few green when ripe tomatoes (Cherokee greens).

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oh, I didn't know that about the fridge..

Thanks!

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha! decision made for me.. I went to fondle it and it fell off in my hand. so it's on the counter now!

• caavonldy
    14 years ago

I have several nice looking tomatoes. Unfortunately, each one has a bite mark on it. It seems that one of the local deer came around. It sampled one, didn't like it and tried each tomatoes to see if one of them would taste better. I have to get some of my liquid fence mixed up.

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Well, too late for the first one, but I'd leave it on the vine as long as it's "safe" (stop fondling!! LOL)
    Then, just take the salt shaker to the garden with ya!!
    Yum.

I found my first tomato today. It's a roma type and about the size of a pea.
    I'm very jealous of any already ripening! Pleeeeaasseee post pictures! :-)

Deanna

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can't leave them alone! I think that's why they are doing so well.. I keep adoring them. A friend of mine who has been growing tomatoes for years is insanely jealous.. she fusses..she putters.. she buys special compost.. and she barely has fruit. She asked what I did.. I said "I dunno.. I bought a plant from my neighborhood plant sale, stuck it in a pot and admired it daily"

Pics are forthcoming. They are on the camera.

• bela67
    14 years ago

I picked my first one last night and its on the window sill. Its not the best looking mater as it had some deformities but i will have it tonight! Its a better boy which are my best producers. I have another one that looks better that might be red by tomorrow. I didn't do the black fabric this year and its a big difference my peppers are small and struggling and tomatoes are nowhere near the size as my moms which is 2 doors down. Oh well used straw this year and I won't do that again.

• jude31
    14 years ago

I suppose while you're adoring them, you are also talking to them. An interesting article in our local paper today was saying "the Royal Horticultural Society in London (that's England, not Kentucky) had issued results of a monthlong study on tomatoes. It concluded not only that talking affects tomato production, but, more importantly, that women's voices are far better than men's.

The sound of a female voice produced plants that outgrew others by as much as two inches, the society reported. Men fared so poorly that some of their plants actually grew less than a control group left in complete silence."

Obviously, they didn't test the results of "fondling" the tomatoes. LOL

When I was growing up in the country we would take the salt shaker to the patch, pick a choice tomato, lick it so the salt would stick for the first bite, and eat it right in the patch. Sounds pretty gross now, in a way, but it sure was good!

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Interesting..yes I do talk to them.. and I have also done a little energy work with them.. (Reiki) because the plant looked a bit bleh when I got it... and at the risk of sounding like a wacko sexist.. I suspect that men may "feel funny" talking to plants... where women, as the nuturer (spelling?) may feel less wonky about it.. thus emparting a more positive tone in their voice.. sending out more "good vibes" if you will .. where perhaps men send out more of a "boy this is awkard and stupid" vibe.. inhibiting growth..

Is there a linky to that article? Sometime I teach energy work and would love to use that as an example.

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Found it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Study: womens voices make plants grow faster

• got_bullmastiff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Finally.. a picture

And yes, I ate it already! The one next to it is now ripe and sitting on my counter..

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

I pick mine I'd say right in the middle of the two in that picture. I actually like mine still a bit firm but for sauce/salsa etc, I use them at the very ripe stage.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor