Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
han123_gw

Letting Jam Stand - Fridge or room temp?

Han123
10 years ago

Many recipes call for letting berries and sugar stand in between or before boiling's. Nowhere can I find if this should be in the Fridge, or at room temp.

What do you do, and does the fridge reduce the flavour.

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would say room temp, and covered with a cloth or something like that. If it wanted to be for more than just a few minutes/hours or overnight, I'd put it in the frig.

I freeze my berries before using them, I get more juice out of them without needing to use sugar.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

You are talking about sugar macerating fruit. We always do ours in the fridge and usually overnight for best flavor development.

Minimal bacterial growth that way since sugar syrup is so bacteria friendly.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to macerate fruit

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I agree with last posting--I generally refrigerate & macerate overnight in the fridge, especially with strawberries and raspberries.

• Han123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. That's what I have been doing, but wanted to double check.

• GreenThumb85
    10 years ago

I have made about 20 mason jars of strawberry jam already and i would let it stand 24hours at room temp then put in the refrigerator. Or, you could put in the freezer to preserve them.

• pattypan
    10 years ago

so is less sugar needed to make jam with macerated fruit, as i've read ? i've also read that pectin is not needed with this method. ( less boiling). both appeal to me. i don't mind if the jam is soft, as long as it doesn't flow off the bread. now i have to deal with 30# of peaches, so i'll soon find out !

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I think you are confusing terms or processes perhaps.

The amount of sugar and/or the use of pectin isn't related to or affected by macerating the fruit. They are determined by the specific recipe you use.

If you wanted a reduced sugar jam then you need to use a low-sugar recipe and yes, it will be softer. And if you use a no-pectin recipe then even longer boiling is usually required to get a set. How much longer is determined by the fruit itself.

Dave

• pattypan
    10 years ago

i'd like to try old fashioned jam, just sugar and fruit ( overnight in the fridge) . is it true that 1) too much heat destroys pectin, and 2) that pectin is in the fiber of fruits ? (do i need a food scientist?) the idea is to boil off water to thicken the jam, right? my idea is, boil down some juice without the full load of sugar, to reduce volume on the day before canning. cool and put back in the fruit. that way the fruit is not boiled to death,just cooked through. all original quantities and other directions would be used. any alarm bells going off with this idea ?

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Without the sugar, you may lose color of the fruit. Some fruit just isn't sweet enough without some sweetners.

• pattypan
    10 years ago

"all original quantities and other directions would be used"

i would get the juices flowing with some sugar, boil that down and add that and the rest of the sugar to the fruit. i wouldn't heat it with all the sugar at first- don't want to carmelize it.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Try Melly's Peach Vanilla Almond a la Ferber - very similar process to what you are describing (peaches do need to boil a little to soften, then you remove and reduce the syrup, add the fruit back in). Not low-sugar though.

I don't know where the thread is, here's what I saved to text file:

"Melly's Peach Almond Vanilla Bean Preserves a la Ferber

As described the jam is a rich deep gold in color. If you'd like a deeper color and a more pronounced brown sugar flavor, use dark brown sugar instead of light brown.

Can also use all white sugar as Melly does (brown sugar is from Helen Witty) which would make it lighter (esp. if you are using vanilla extract instead of vanilla bean -
    or you could use clear vanilla extract).

6 cups coarsely-chopped peeled firm-ripe peaches (about 4 lbs)
    2 cups light brown sugar (packed)
    6 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice (from Helen Witty - Melly uses juice of 1.5 lemons - 5 Tbsp?)
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 vanilla bean OR 1 tsp vanilla extract to taste
    1/2 tsp - 3/4 tsp almond extract

In a large bowl, combine peaches with the sugar, lemon juice and vanilla bean, stirring to mix. Microwave if desired to dissolve the sugar (not necessary)
    Cover and let stand at room temperature six hours or refrigerate overnight.

Wash jars and lids in hot, soapy water.
    Sterilize jars for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath, then leave in hot water until ready to fill. Prepare lids according to manufacturer's directions.

Strain the juices from the peaches into a large saucepan or dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat (Ferber says about 5 minutes in her book. It took more like 10 minutes for my syrup to reach 221-ish).
    Skim the foam, cut the vanilla bean in half, scrape the seeds into the strained syrup and drop the beans as well (the seeds tended to get caught up in the foam).
    But, I make mine more like jam (small to medium size chunks rather than large pieces) and prefer it a little firmer. (I bought her vineyard peach preserves once. It was larger pieces in syrup - a traditional preserve.)

Add the reserved peaches once the syrup is set (I also squished a little of the fruit with a potato masher once I put the fruit back in). Her instructions say to cook another 5 minutes after putting the fruit back in or until set.
    I did mine about 7 minutes. I like the consistency that I got. It doesn't run off the bread. Helen Witty says to cover the pan, reduce heat and cook the mixture until the peach chunks begin to look
    translucent, 15 to 20 minutes (!) ; stir occasionally to prevent sticking. If the jam becomes too thick and threatens to scorch before the fruit is done, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water.
    I guess this might take some experimentation - you want the peaches translucent but not mushy.

Add almond extract (and vanilla extract if using) and stir for a minute before pulling off the heat.

Let sit for 3 minutes off the heat, then skim the foam and stir to distribute the fruit.

Ladle hot jam into hot, prepared jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Top with lids and process for 10 minutes (halfpints) or 15 min (pints) in a boiling-water bath.
    Cool jars completely on a dish towel before labeling and storing. Makes about 6 half-pint jars."

I've done this with all white (no brown) sugar and clear vanilla extract to keep the light color. My notes say 3/4 tsp almond extract, I didn't find 1/2tsp to be enough.

• pattypan
    10 years ago

thanks !! that sounds just like what i was aiming for .....yum !

• cookingofjoy
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but last night I was making peach jam based on Ferber's Yellow Peach with Lavender Honey (minus the lavender). I set it aside to cool a bit before putting in the fridge, and I fell asleep. So the boiled fruit, sugar ,honey and lemon sat out overnight. Is there a way I could still use this?

• Morgan Turner
    3 years ago

I have the same question