Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelielynn_gw

Have anyone started anything besides Hostas this year yet?

chelielynn
17 years ago

Ok never have done this before but I found today some Canna and Elephant Ear bulbs at a big box store today fairly cheep. Though I'd start them early indoors. Anyone else starting anything or have started bulbs indoor before? Or am I just craving for spring really bad?

Shelly

Comments (9)

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

I got some snail vine seeds at Jungs the other day and started them. I also winter sowed a bunch of coneflowers and hibiscus.

• ademink
    17 years ago

I got some cheapo leftover allium bulbs. They still look amazingly fresh and like they might actually grow (and only .74 ea. box!). I got Gladiator and Christophii (YEAAAAAAAAAAH). Not sure what to do w/ them so I think I'll just slap them in a pot w/ some soil and see what happens!

• Teresa_MN
    17 years ago

I haven't started any of the seeds I have. I've got to get my order in to Thompson & Morgan for that mini greenhouse. I did buy some seeds for a deep purple sweet pea vine which is supposed to be very fragrant. Looking forward to how those will turn out.

• mary52zn8tx
    17 years ago

I have one of those giant EE's from Plant Delights on order, and I have a couple of clematis and daylilies on order from eflowersgarden with a few hostas of course. I am going to try some clumping bamboo for a gap in my shrubs. I hope my plumbago made it through the winter, but I have a feeling I will be replacing it. I just potted some hyacinths. I have the fever bad. We had one pretty day then back to cooler weather.

• hostarox
    17 years ago

I am gonna try my hand at Lupine seeds this year. Bought 2 packs of Russell's Hybrids.

• Janice
    17 years ago

Yep,I've started, looking more and more forward to Spring!! However, the snow
    we're getting, today, looks very beautiful--from inside! :o) We're to have an accumulation
    of 12" with ice mixed in, by tomorrow--and the ice-layer is now in progress! Slump!

• chelielynn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah that same one went though Iowa today but we didn't get as much as expected only 2-3 inches. So yeah but still impatiently waiting for spring. Hopefully its not that bad for you either.

• schenley
    17 years ago

I'm trying to think of something to grow with my hostas this year to make the beds more colorful. Has anyone tried Caladium's with hosta?

• hostarox
    17 years ago

Yep!! I buy Caladiums every year. The day they come out as bulbs in any "big box" store, I always buy 2 bags, take them home and pot them up....put in a warm place out of direct sun....last year I got caladiums going faster yet using a heat mat on low setting... then after last frost, plant them outside. I wait until May here. It's alot cheaper than buying potted ones that are all leafed out already, and it beats waiting for them to sprout if you just plant the bulbs outside. You can dig them up in fall and try to over-winter them, but I never bother.