Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_b_gw

How do you use herbs in an external medicinal way?

karen_b
17 years ago

Most threads on this forum pertain to growing herbs and not much to using them medicinally in every day life. I know that is what the herbalism forum is for, but if you read some of the threads on that forum they are pretty out there (sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone). This past week I've been doing a lot of weeding in the evenings and I'm not one to use alot of bug spray if I can help it. I usually plant a lot of pennyroyal in my beds as a natural bug repellent but because my pennyroyal didn't grow back and I couldn't find any at the nursery it didn't get planted so I've had to work in my gardens at my own risk. Needless to say I have been eaten nearly alive, the bites have been very irritating (itching so that I couldn't sleep). I tried every over the counter remedy I could think of until I attended a class on herbs and it dawned on me that there were herbs just for this so I searched my database and found that though comfrey wasn't actually listed for bug bites it was known for it skin healing properties. So I took a couple of fresh medium size leaves and mashed them and then put the green pulp on the bite, covered it with a piece of gauze and wrapped an ace bandage around it for the night. It worked so good I made another...I guess you could call it a poultice...and held in place with a large bandage for work and so far no itching and the redness in the center is gone.

I know there are many common "external" medicinal uses for herbs but since we are so used to running to the pharmacy I thought this might be a good forum to get out how others use the herbs they grow in simple external medicinal ways.

Comments (6)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Have you tried Lemon Eucalyptus? I use Repel's for mosquito bites. works like a charm, but you smell like a lemony Eucalyptus for awhile.
    I am not allergic to poison oak, but a friend of mine is, and we put a poultice of plantain (plantago major) on it, she said it gave her relief. I use herbs for so many things... I could write a book here.

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

I would prefer not to live my life without having an Aloe Vera plant in my garden. It is SO useful - it's fantastic on minor burns, on insect bites, as a moisturiser, in fact on just about any of life's little scratches and scrapes. It's other name is First Aid Plant.

Lemon Balm is excellent rubbed on as an insect repellent, but will ease the pain of insect bites very quickly.

Lavender tea or the essential oil is very good for burns, and if bathed in or dabbed onto the forehead, will ease a headache.

A leaf of yarrow is the best styptic ever - it stops bleeding. Wonderful if you've been too enthusiastic when shaving!

Comfrey leaves make an excellent poultice for sprains and bruises and muscular soreness. Very soothing for tendonitis, too.

Soapwort and chickweed are two of the best treatments for a range of skin problems, including eczema and psoriasis.

Then there are the antifungal herbs like thyme or tea-tree and many others which are used externally to treat thrush and tinea and ringworm.

There are many herbs used externally for things like cold sores - St. John's Wort, Hyssop, Myrrh, Peppermint, to name a very few.

You could even say that herbs used in sleep pillows are used externally for medicinal purposes. Lavender, Hops, Roses and many others all have relaxant properties when used in this way.

Of course 'external use' must include cosmetics like face and handcreams, shampoos etc. The list of herbs used in such products is endless, but you must include lavender and roses in the list of popular ones. Rosemary and sage are frequently used in hair rinses etc. In one way or another, cosmetic herbs have 'medicinal' uses - adjusts oiliness or dryness of the skin, treats dandruff etc.

Here's a short list of vulnerary herbs - all used externally on wounds as a sort of 'first aid', in washes or as poultices:

Aloe Vera, Agrimony, Arnica, Bistort, Burdock, Calendula, Chickweed, Cleavers, Comfrey, Elder, Elecampane, Fenugreek, Flaxseed, Garlic, Gentian, Goldenseal, Horsetail, Hyssop, Liquorice, Lungwort, Marshmallow, Mullein, Plantain, Poke Root, Rosemary, ShepherdÂs Purse, Slippery Elm, St. JohnÂs Wort, Thyme, Turmeric, Witch Hazel, Wood Betony, Yarrow.

These are just a few examples of herbs used externally - there are thousands of remedies using thousands more.

• herbalbetty
    17 years ago

Karen, I make a bug spray that is all natural. But, if you are in the garden, rub some catnip on your skin, that works pretty good. And like Heathen said, plantain works wonders on bug bites. I make it into a salve so it is easy to use, but just chew up a few leaves (or mush it in a morter and pestle) and apply the paste to a bug bite. Jewelweed is great for poison ivy. Calendula is terrific for rashes. Daisy has also listed a ton of other items. Be careful using comfrey on a larger wound, as it is such a great healing herb that the outer layer of skin may close before the inner wound gets a chance to heal. Arnica shouldn't be applied to broken skin. Have fun journeying into the herbal world.

• jannie
    17 years ago

If I can find rosemary oil in an herb shop, I buy a bottle. Apply it to my hair, just a drop in my palm or mixed with conditioner. It smells wonderful, makes hair shiny.

• nygardener
    17 years ago

Lamb's ears (Stachys) were once used as bandages  might be useful for holding your comfrey poultice in place.

I'll have to try it and some of Daisy's suggestions. I'm always covered with bug bites and minor scratches after a day outdoors ... would love some homegrown soothing relief!

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Lamb's Ears make perfect sanitary napkins in an emergency, and they're quite comfortable as a lining in your shoes!

You can use a tea of many herbs (rosemary, thyme, lemon balm, lavender, eucalyptus to name just a few) as cleaning products in your home. Thyme is the source of hospital-grade Thymol, used to kill germs. You can use them in the bathroom or the kitchen for wiping down surfaces.

A tea made from lavender and/or calendula flowers is a marvellous wash for a baby's bottom.

ANTI-FUNGAL BABY WIPES
    1/2 cup distilled water
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1/4 cup aloe vera gel
    1 tablespoon calendula oil
    1 drop lavender essential
    1 drop tea tree essential oil

To prepare, use a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Pour all ingredients in, cover and shake to blend the ingredients. Place wipes in a container and pour on enough solution to moisten them. Store any extra solution in the fridge. It should stay fresh for a long time especially if you used distilled water. (Omit the aloe vera if your baby is sensitive to it - test on a tiny area first.)

NAPPY RASH TREATMENT AND PREVENTION:
    Pour some olive oil into a jar and add some calendula petals. Leave in a dark place for 3-4 weeks, shaking the jar every day or so. Apply the oil to affected area. Other oils may be used, eg lavender or rose.