Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

Alyogyne huegelii aka Blue Hibiscus

I had this lovely plant in AZ five years ago. Did great in a pot up on the patio. I left it with my mom when I moved to FL but before that it had set seeds and I just recently planted them (5+ yrs old) and with an initial boiling water method and a few days soaking, many have sprouted.
This is an Australian plant that likes to have its foilage dry and does not like to have wet roots either.

Has anyone in FL had any luck growing this?

I also read that it could be grafted onto other more wet tolerant Australian 'hibisus' cultivars and it could do well in wetter climates. Has anyone tried this?

Here is what is looked like when I had it in AZ. The flowers were much bluer..very true- blue but the camera I had then would never pick it up.
{{gwi:522063}}
~Lynn

Comments (9)

• thonotorose
    10 years ago

Fabulous! Sounds like it will be best as a potted plant. Perhaps, if you get many, you could experiment.

Please add me to the sure-to-be-long list of Florida Buds who want a cutting!

Veronica

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Oh, man... that's beautiful. But if it can't get wet and needs full sun, then Florida is not the place for such a specimen. If it can handle only morning or afternoon sun, then it might survive here on a sunny covered porch or balcony where water can be controlled?

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I have a hibiscus that was called blue hibiscus but I don't know if it's the same one. It hasn't done well for me at all. The flower were a purple/blue. In fact it looks so miserable I am planning on taking it out. But I did have it planted in a berm with other hibiscus.

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

Those are a neat hibiscus. My sister lives in AZ and I planted some at her house but a severe freeze killed them.

Your best bet in FL is to grow them in a container in full sun and use a very well drained soil mix, like a cactus soil. They are very prone to the humidity and fungus here. I have planted them several times and they never make it past July in the ground.

• whgille
    10 years ago

When we moved to Arizona, we had the garden professional landscaped. We liked the different hibiscus that they had and agreed to them, a lot of them were the blue hibiscus. The blue hibiscus were the first to die, we only ended up with the red, pink and yellow. Maybe if we kept them in a pot and protected? I don't know because I remember we had a lot of freezes.
    Going back to a time that I visited the Botanical Gardens in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I talked to the caretaker after I saw the blue hibiscus there and he said they do well in his all blue themed garden. But I have never seen them in the resorts I supposed because they are not hardy like the other hibiscus that they have a lot.

Silvia

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will plan on keeping them potted due to the freezes we get here and they are not hardy. I need to build a kind of shelter for stuff like this and for succulents and cactus that I have so I can let the sun in at an angle but keep most of the rain off of them. I can't keep them in my greenhouse because it ends up with too many fungal problems.
    I am thinking about getting some of that green plastic/polycarb (?) stuff and make a large roof that would let some of the light in and leave all the sides open or maybe 3 sides open.

Veronica: I would be happy to share a cutting if I ever get them that far lol :)

Silvia and eric: They can't take much frost so that is probably why they declined. I kept this one on the back patio and it got direct morning sun and shaded afternoon. It got plenty of heat from the gravel surrounding the patio back there and the stone wall of the house probably released some heat on the cooler nights as well.
    It is a really good bloomer and just flushes and flushes as long as it happy. Too bad no fragrance!

katkin: It seems like there are a few plants called 'blue hibiscus'. I have even seen some of the Rose of Sharon's called that. The Rose of sharon is much more cold tolerant and easier to grow though. The Alyogyne have slightly coarse ferny type foilage.

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Sultry, mine is a hibiscus, but the leaves aren't like yours. Yours looks like geranium leaves, where as mine looks like any other hibiscus.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

katkin, sounds like you have a different variety of plant. Yes mine do remind me of geranium leaves!

Just for fun, here is a tropical blue hibiscus that I have called Blueberry Thrill
    {{gwi:522065}}

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, I think mine looks like that, it is hard to remember, since it's been a while since it bloomed.