Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khabbab

hello, Is echinacea purpurea Perennial in my zone?

khabbab
14 years ago

hello,

Is echinacea purpurea Perennial in my zone? Summer is very harsh here and reaches over 100F while winters are mild not below 5C. Can i fall sow its seeds to bloom in summer?

Thanks.

Khabbab

Comments (7)

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

I googled its heat zone and it says that purple coneflowers can survive heat zones 1 - 12. (Not to be confused with hardiness zones.)

Purple coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea) seem not to need the cold as much as some other wildflowers to break dormancy. Try it and see how it works. Other folks that live in less snowy locations than I may have more advice for you.

FataMorgana

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Don't fixate on your zone. Tell us about the living soil conditions in your area and how you are thinking of planting. In soil, pot etc. Your info state you are in Pakistan. Most of the posters here know nothing about Pakistan other than what we see on tv. From a fellow worker I know it has many contrasts as far as areas to grow in. Since I live at the border of Kansas and Missouri I am aware of what misinformation people have of different areas. Some have asked how close we are to the desert, indians, fur trappers etc.

Please give more information on growing conditions. I temperature wise the purpurea might live but there are other echinacea's that might do better as they need more or less moisture.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Echinacea purpurea is botanically classified as a biennial. It can sometimes be treated as a perennial, depending on the climate.

Here in the Australian subtropics, it dies down even in our very mild winters, and I've never known it to come back in spring - so I treat it as an annual - and one of the challenges in my life!!

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

Purple Coneflower is a perennial here. Comes back each year but different climates can make plants behave very differently. For example, I have read that ginkgos can live 1000 years in Japan or China. I've seen photos of venerable 1000 year old trees in temple grounds. While in the US, they only live about 300 years.

When you take a plant out of its normal habitat you can sometimes expect much different results.

FataMorgana

• khabbab
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our climate is sub-tropical semi-arid. i am afraid this plant wont be able to take summer heat of 45c specially when i plant to grow it in a clay pot.

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago

You may wish to refer to the following site for growing requirements for all manner of native (US) coneflowers. They have a lot of information on their site and are a great place to order from.

http://www.prairiemoon.com/

FataMorgana

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

I believe that, in most locations, Echinacea is grown as a perennial. How many years it returns depends upon a lot of factors. I never had a great deal of success with it as a healthy, robust perennial when I lived along the coast of SCarolina, but in Northern Alabama, with a MUCH more temperature climate, I'm in love with how they grow...and grow.

Pot culture would be much more difficult in a very hot and dry location, I'm afraid.