Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jppw

Indoor Herb Garden for preschool program

jppw
13 years ago

We are wanting to start an indoor herb garden for our preschool program. we have a large ledge (or possible space for vertical garden pockets) in the middle of the classroom. The classroom isn't incredibly dark, but it certainly isn't bright...it doesn't get direct sunlight, although there are east and west facing windows. (The building is surrounded by large trees, however, so light is filtered through the forest, first.)

We are also in an incredibly wet area and as it is an older building, we find that plants that like dry environments don't do great inside - the soil seems to often stay moist after a light watering for up to 10 weeks.

What sort of herbs could be grown in this environment? I don't want the children to plant seeds and then have no luck in growing them! (Our bean plants that we grew in the spring all grew nicely, if that helps...)

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I'll be the first one to say that your description of the site is not one of a successful herb planting location. Culinary herbs are mostly full sun lovers.

I'm somewhat confused about the soil situation, however. How is it that the 'incredibly wet' outdoors affects the inside planting site? Is it just the lack of sunlight or am I missing something?

What kind of planting medium will you be using? How large is this area?

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Rhizo is correct. Many culinary herbs languish in indoor conditions. There are many, MANY posts and threads here with information on people wanting to grow herbs indoors and their trials and tribulations. Over the last year, other than posts on "why my basil isn't growing," people wanting to grow herbs indoors and their questions about it is some of the most popular posts we see here.

Add to that the difficulty and slowness of some herb seed germination as well as the often tiny seeds and herb seed is not the easiest for kids.

That said, I applaud any efforts to get kids growing. Too many are almost permanently plugged into electronics and separated from growing things and the natural world. I would suggest having an indoor garden with houseplants that are known to tolerate indoor conditions. There are many that can be started from cuttings (that maybe even the kids can bring in) so there is still a lesson to be had there.

And late next winter have the kids start vegetable seeds or some of the easy culinary herbs like basil for an outdoor garden plot or an outdoor container garden. More schools are getting kids involved in school vegetable gardens. There are so many great benefits to these programs and so much to learn about growing, plants, patience, healthy eating, and having something give back the effort put into it. I included a link to a google search for seed starting with kids. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing and how it works out!

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Google - Indoor Seed Starting for Kids

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Instead of herbs think of leaf lettuces, bok choys and other cool weather crops and herbs that mature quick. I too do not understand the description of the classroom. Are you reusing soil and what is the soil in? Could you give more information. Mints are the only things that I can think of but they would not be too happy without other lite.