Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetr83

Mint

sweetr83
17 years ago

Hey everyone!

I have mint thats starting to take over my herb garden. I knew this was going to happen and it doesnt bother me. but now i have a lot of mint. i want to make mint flavoring with it...ive read its not pratical to make extract with it. I just want to make some kind of flavoring..maybe mint oil? something i could use in baking? if anyone has any recipes that would be great!

Comments (10)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

you could make a mint simple syrup... useful for most anything sweet. My sister recently had a party where the drink of the day was mint juleps... so I made the mint simple syrup...:o) I was thinking it'd be good on ice cream.... in drinks... in candy...

• sweetr83
    Original Author
    17 years ago

do you have a recipe for that? or is it just equal parts sugar and water and throw in as much mint i have?

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

yup! :o) equal parts sugar to water... heated to briefly boiling.... I'd add the mint 'to taste'. It can get strong, so taste it before killing yourself! :D Hey, you could make your own Altoids! :D

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Use any mint for this, but peppermint is nicest for a sweet touch.

Peppermint Syrup
    3 cups sugar
    1 cup water
    6 tablespoons chopped peppermint

Dissolve sugar in water and bring to the boil. Add mint and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand for 30 minutes. Strain and bottle. Use as a base for summer drinks.

• flutesee
    17 years ago

Mint iced tea. Crush the mint leaves with a mortar and pestle, then mix them with a quart of boiling water and 8 tea bags (green tea is a good choice.) Let steep for 10 minutes and strain out the leaves and squeeze the bags. Add 1 quart of cold water and refrigerate. Sweeten as desired. You do have to judge how much of the mint you crush because it is a little strong, but very refreshing in the tea.

• gigibeme
    17 years ago

What about a mint pesto?!

• booberry85
    17 years ago

Someone brought this topic up a couple of weeks ago on the cooking forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: What to do with fresh mint

• gborosteve
    17 years ago

I have several simple syrups in the refrigerator now. Among them, orange mint, lime mint, spearmint. And also rosemary and lavender. I find they're great in hot tea (I'm current enjoying a very nice green tea flavored with pomegranate...delicious with any of the above mentioned simple syrups.) But they'd also be good with fresh fruit or ice cream, as mentioned before.
    Also freezing lime mint in ice cubes makes it nice for cocktails. Break out the Mojitos!!!

• gborosteve
    17 years ago

Also, and I would have not have thought of this myself, I made some simple syrup from cinnamon basil.
    Giada De Laurentiis on "Everyday Italian" on The Food Network the other day made an "italian lemonade", and to sweeten it, she made some basil simple syrup. You'd think it just wouldn't work, but the flavor when you flavor any simple syrup is usually mild, and in my case, the cinnamon basil is yummy! But you've got to try the rosemary simple syrup. OMG! So good with tea.
    I realize this isn't in line with mint as the topic, but I had to repost.

• khaled
    17 years ago

what about dried mint? many recipes include dried mint leaves to be added while cooking.. you can search for some indian food recipes and i'm sure u'll find dried mint listed there as one of the spices..

good luck!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting