Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeka0801

does anyone know if weed and grass killer

teeka0801(7aNoVa)
15 years ago

also kills beneficial insect and earthworms?

I tried to fight the weed battle without spray, but I sprayed 2 days ago and now I am wondering what it will do to my growing population of earthworms and beneficial insects?

ALso, has anyone here hired a "green" consultant? I am looking at fixing up the down spouts with rain barrels and also consulting with someone on replacing cement driveway, patio,etc with more "breathable" material(brick pavers and such, I guess). How much do they cost? I just would like someone to walk through the property and tell me where we can improve in this area. I also think the roof could use some sort of insulation, only shingles right now.

Thanks! teeka.

Comments (6)

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

I use weed & grass killer in my front bed all the time and it's loaded with worms. Maybe the mulch protects them?

• cindeea
    15 years ago

OK ok ok Tell me how to kill the ongoing battle I am having between my shrubs in my front bed without killing the shrubs. It is well mulched and in all this rain, weeds, clovers and grass want to grow up there. Is it safe to spray roundup directly on weeds between the shrubs (mostly shallow and on the surface but hell to keep up with pulling all the babies). Can I direct the spray lightly at just the weeds and not hurt the others? Thanks.

• laura1
    15 years ago

Cindee-It would depend on the shrubs...how big they are and if they are established. Generally speaking your shrubs will be ok. Roses are really sensitive to herbicide but even then they will recover (but don't do it over and over!) Reading the herbicide label might be helpful ;-0

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Here's a cool method if you are worried about overspray hitting other plants:
    Get a paintbrush with the kind of handle that you can screw an extention into or use a lot of duct tape and attach the paintbrush to a long pole. Dip the brush into weedkiller and 'paint' the weeds. You can reach under and between shrubs and more easily hit just the weed instead of neighboring plants. You can even use a paint roller if you have a larger area.

• thonotorose
    15 years ago

I use a shield of cardboard with a handle and I hold it up against the shrubs as I spray.

I cannot believe how wonderful a stirrup or scuffle hoe is. So easy to use with a push-pull motion that I am seeing using it near every day in problem areas. It works by disturbing them enough that they will not get going enough to go to seed.

And for a little hope; I read years ago top keep after them and get them when they are small. There will be results over time, you will begin to see less and less as your ornamentals grow bigger. And mulch makes it so much easier to pull them up.

• barrierisland
    15 years ago

teeka you can get this consultation for free. In Florida the utilities companies do a free energy audit and advise on insulation. You can often get a rebate for installing insulation. Your water company will also advise on rain barrels - our local company sells wonderful rain barrels at a very low price. About pavers - the term to use is "permeable surface". Your building department can give you ideas on what materials qualify, and how to calculate your "square foot" needs. Then price your choice of materials, plus installation. Your building code allows so much of a percentage of your property to have "impermeable" covering (slab and driveway/sidewalk) Switching to permeable driveway can actually allow you to add on to your house....

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor