Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Anyone order from Cottage Gardens, upstate NY?

njmomma
14 years ago

I'm thinking of ordering from there since it's in the north and they have a good rating on Garden Watchdog. I'm a little hesitant because when I emailed them my list to see if they were available they were ALL available - which never happens to me. Usually at least a few have been sold out. I know, I know, what the heck it doesn't mean anything. Plus, they happen to have Betty Ford for $30 whereas other places start at $40 for it.

Anyway, if anyone has ordered from them, your experience with them would greatly help me decide.

Thanks!

Natanya

Comments (9)

• opnjmprs
    14 years ago

Brent Ross owns Cottage Gardens, and I have bought from him many times over the past several years. He has always sent me good quality plants, and nice bonus plants too. I've been very happy doing business with him. Someone on this forum visited his garden recently and posted pictures from their visit, but I forget who it was.

Linda

• njmomma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whew! Great! I'm sold! Thanks so much!

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I have mail ordered from them also. Sent fantastic plants. I had said that I preferred extra fans as a bonus. Since I gave him the choice, he must have picked two plants he had lots of and those extra fans just kept on coming. This is a great place to buy from, you will not be dissapointed.

• Cindy zone 6a
    14 years ago

I think a couple of us from the GW traveled to Cottage Gardens this summer, I did, and I live in NE Ohio. More than worth it. Brent was very nice and helpful,
    My sister in law and I both wanted Jungle Beauty,
    but he only had about five small fans left, He gave me two fans for free and threw in the sign. Then, he took about a 25% discount off my total order and he gave us seedling clumps for no charge.!!!!! His gardens by the house are beautiful, and out in the field everything was well labeled. He dug many up himself along with ,I think, a nephew who was helping. We are going to make this a yearly trip. I say go for it, his daylilies are healthy and he is very helpful and generous. We went
    in early July and all are doing great. Cindy

• njmomma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks so much! I wish I lived close to make the trip! I can only get 3 for now, but I'm really excited to find another good company to order from. I'm getting San Ignacio, Mountain Almond, and Susan Weber. I also mentioned 3 for bonuses that are cheaper ones. I'll let everyone know when they arrive!
    :)
    Natanya

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

As usual my SIL beat me to it! Our trip to Medina NY was great! It helps when you travel with someone you like! LOL! Here is the picture of Baracuda Bay from Cottage. Also a picture of one of Brent Ross's seedling.
    BARACUDA BAY

BRENT ROSS SEEDLING

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Natanya,
    If you went to GardenWatchdog, you saw my post. I also posted on here earlier this year with pics of my trip. The link below is to that post. Brent runs a great business. July was the coldest we've ever had here and it rained a lot! I'm betting his summer sales were slower because if it which would explain him having everything you want.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Gardens Daylily Photos

• jercatz
    14 years ago

I ordered from Cottage Gardens a couple months ago and was happy with the plants and the service. They have many more I want so I will likely order from them again. Here is one of my favorites that I bought from them, Old King Cole.

• Julia WV (6b)
    14 years ago

Yup, and Brent is terrific. Still haven't visited yet and his daylily farm is only 1 hour away. Got to remedy that. Ordered about 6 plants last winter and planted them this spring.

Julia