Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tootseug

First time canning Tuna

tootseug
16 years ago

All the recipes I've found say to cook the tuna first to make it more firm. Well I filleted it at the dock, so I can't do that. Will it still be good, and any adjustements on cooking?

I'm doing this in 1/2 pt jars. I'm assuming that wide mouth are best, as to not promote squishing the meat. Is that correct? If so, do I need to fill to w/in 1 inch of top?? The jar is pretty flat already. Shall I add salt?

Thanks so much!!

Comments (7)

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Have you checked out the link below?

The NCHFP says tuna can be processed raw (which is what I do for salmon) but pre-cooking results in a more mild-flavored product.

You do still need 1" headspace, even though the jars are small. The worst thing with smelly fish is having liquid vent out.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Tuna

• tracerracer
    16 years ago

We canned tuna for the first time last yr. We tried it both ways (salted and not) We definitly like the no salt (Think it came w/ enough from the ocean )

We did add a clove of garlic and in a few jars a little hot pepper too (for my DH).

My oldest opened a grocery store can the other day and I now believe what we were told "once you can your own, you'll never go back".........Have fun.........

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Toots, how are you doing with your tuna? I picked up my annual 75#s of loins last weekend, but my BIL is taking his share of that, I won't be canning all of it!

My MIL used to bake her tuna whole before canning (she'd then add a little olive oil to it) - I didn't like it at all, it's just like I could buy at Costco cheaper than I could can it at home. I didn't have any interest in canning tuna for a long time until I had some a friend had raw packed....yummmm, so much better.

Everyone I know cans tuna raw pack; maybe my MIL did it precooked because that's the way they do it in the commercial canneries and she had worked in canneries to help out the family (the dear lady had 10 children). I use wide mouth pints, but will can a case of 1/2 pts for my mom, and I do add salt.... scant 1/2 tsp 1/2 pts, 1 tsp pts. I've done it with garlic, but anymore I just look at that as an extra step...garlic can always be added to whatever recipe you're using the tuna for.

Let us know how you did - it's a lot of work but worth it.

• tootseug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all
    Took my gauge in last night, and am working on the last of my tuna right now. Used just over 1/4t salt per 1/2 pt. Am still eating on the fresh tuna I barbequed, will let you know how the canned turned out real soon. Thanks all for your replies. This was my first experience with using a pressure canner. I gave it to my daughter for Christmas, as her husband is a commercial fisherman and often brings home fish. She wanted me to store it for her for awhile. So, figured someone should open it! Looking forward to doing more things with it! All I can say is,,,,,I should have not been scared off by the size of the tunas. Next time I'm going for Big Daddy's only.

I'll post as soon as I open up one of the cans.

Have a nice night all.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Gosh, you're going to be tired in the morning by the time you've cleaned up and gotten to bed. Somehow I always end up having a late night by the time that last batch is done.

You're brave starting your pressure canning experience with a long job like tuna fish! And I'll just bet the first thing you do in the morning is look at all those pretty jars and feel proud. Be sure to pat yourself on the back âº

• tootseug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all.
    Well, I tasted the canned tuna. It came out great! I fell asleep during the first batch, and it cooked about 25 min. too long. So that is the batch I tried. But...it was very, very good. My only complaint is, is that I added too much salt. I had put it on the top. Once I stirred it up a bit, it was better, but who wants to stir up the meat too much! Even so, 1/4tsp was tooo much. Next time I'll try sea salt, and only use a smidgen. Should I put it on the bottom of the jar?? This was tuna only packed in it's own juice, no H2O or oil.

In general..happy with the way it turned out. And got over 30 1/2 pts, gave 2 large fillets to my ex-husband and his folks, and 1 fillet to my son. Can't wait to have my daughter who's married to the commercial fisherman and who's canner it is, try it.

• tracerracer
    16 years ago

That's why we chose not to add salt...Make no mistake, I like salt! ..I always figure I can add it later, better too little than too much......We did the same (no added liquid)and acoss the board, it was good.....We don't can tuna until closer to labor day, so I have a while yet to wait (that's ok, w/ fair next wk and evrything else, there's no time). Just be prepared, if you run out, the stuff from a grocery store, just won't measure up.....

I'm glad it turned out good for you..........T