Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelamarie43

chocolate mint

angelamarie43
17 years ago

ya'll are so lucky. I have planted it a few years ago. It barely survived the winter months. This year it didnt. I replanted this past spring, and I got about 15 /20 leaves to use in my cooking. POUT!!!! You all are so lucky to have it spread, I tried and I cannot grow it here.

Does anyone know where you can buy it in a dried form?

You know. Like you buy Salt and pepper. lol

Please email me if you know where. I have searched over and over for dried and cant find it.

angelamarie43@yahoo.com

Comments (7)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Uh, what's your zone? I'd THINK it'd live fine in Tennessee!

• herb_lover_grower
    17 years ago

I have never seen or heard of chocolate mint. That is wonderful to me. DO you have any to spear and if you do would you be willing to send me some. I do not have anything to trade, i am just starting out. Can that kind of mint grow indoors.

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

I have never heard of it being sold dried. Nor have I ever had very good luck with growing it, but give it a try. And you can find it at Richters which states the following:

CHOCOLATE MINT
    Mentha x piperita
    Perennial Uses: culinary teaplant medicinal industrial cosmetic
    For years we resisted offering chocolate mint because we were convinced the 'chocolateness' was a figment of someone's imagination. But customers continued to insist that there is such a thing and brought us plants to prove it. As we suspected, most are pretty much the same as true peppermint, but one strain surprised us. Hard to pin down as truly 'chocolate', but its clean fragrance of peppermint is overlaid by something else that adds up to a striking 'peppermint patty' scent. A real treat for discriminating noses!

• greth_gardener
    17 years ago

Herb lover grower, I have plenty of this one, all you have to do is move to Australia and I can send you some! My customers like it, I dont actually use it in cooking. If the words chocolate and mint appeal, try this!
    Chocolate Mint Leaves
    Use whole unblemished mint leaves of your favourite variety. Lemon Balm works well, too. Wash them well to remove garden dust and wildlife. Use a bain-marie to melt some cooking chocolate, preferably bitter, but sweet or white chocolates work well, too. Dip each mint leaf in the chocolate, covering one side first - you may want to hold them with tweezers or pin them onto a skewer for neatness. Lay them on greaseproof paper on a cake rack until the first side is dry before covering the rest. If you are using white and dark chocolate, you can drizzle a little of the other colour on the finished leaves for decoration, if time is not a problem! These make exquisite and richly flavoured after-dinner mints, and can be served with strawberries, or red rose petals also dipped in chocolate. With rose petals, remove the bitter white base neatly before dipping.

• bluestarrgallery
    17 years ago

I have my mints in pots (including chocolate mint) since they spread rapidly. I would also think chocolate mint would make it in TN. Mulch the plant well during winter then after your last frost date rake back the mulch. They usually die down and come back when the ground is warmed up - give it a chance. Mints also need some compost as they need more fertile soil than most herbs. You can get plants shipped to you from Mountain Valley Growers. They do need regular water and sometimes plants will die over the winter if they don't get enough water during a dry spell - can be the case where I live - but TN should get enough natural rainfall unless you are in drought.

• lotsofland
    17 years ago

You may want to contact Plants-n-more here where I live(Abita Springs, LA) that is where I purchased mine. Here is there number and ask for Nicole she is the owner that would be able to help you. 985-871-0602

Good luck and if you get it you'll love it,
    Karin

Here is a link that might be useful: Vette lovers...

• cubfan1110_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I live in N. Illinois and the chocolate mint I planted last year came back and took over my wWhiskey barrel herb planter. All I did was cut back all the growth to about 1 1/2 inches from the soil last fall and covered it with straw which I purchased for about $12 a bail. Have dried 9 batches of chocolate mint for coffee and tea since about April 25.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz