Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Loads of photos from the weekend

celeste/NH
12 years ago

Hi all,

I have tried 3 times now to post here and for some reason everytime I hit 'preview' to proofread my post my computer shuts down on me and all is lost. I am determined to get these photos on here for you all! (Time for a new computer, me thinks).

Anyhow, if all goes well you will be looking at photos from this past weekend. I took enough shots that I can do a couple of postings and this is the first one.

Celeste

LITTLE PEANUT (tiny little bloom, under 2")

{{gwi:937106}}

PREDICTION (just planted a month ago)

EYES OF FURY (large bloom, 7 inches)

{{gwi:659825}}

SILOAM SMOKY JOE (love the color)

{{gwi:937109}}

SCREEN PATTERN (not quite perfect, but I see the potential)

RENAISSANCE

{{gwi:657717}}

SILOAM GLORY BEE, beautiful coloring on this one

{{gwi:659107}}

MY RED NOID again...this time showing a thin white edge...this has bloomed forever

{{gwi:657710}}

NOWHERE TO HIDE, in the morning, in shades of brown:

and in the afternoon, looking more lavender:

{{gwi:660769}}

SHORES OF TIME, still going....

ORIENTAL LILIES galore!

{{gwi:680870}}

{{gwi:680848}}

{{gwi:680855}}

Comments (15)

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Gosh, you sure do have lots and lots of stunner lilies. And big clumps of them too. I just love that. Wish I had the rooom here to do big clumps of lilies. I see some roses snuck into the shot of the lilies in the second to last picture. They look good to me. If there are beetles in them, I can't see them.

All daylily blooms look wonderful. My favorite is PREDICTION, how wonderful that you only planted it recently and it is blooming for you.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rita, those little red roses aren't bothered by the beetles for some reason (I find that the red, scentless roses are not as desired by the JB's as the pale colors. I wouldn't dare show any of my other roses now...they look like shredded toilet paper...LOL).
    I just love to get daylilies from Maryott's. I have found that I almost always see scapes right after planting and Prediction and Terry Lyninger are already blooming! I have 6 more from Maryott with scapes, so yippee! I am also expecting another order within the next week or two, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some scapes this fall...I know my order from Maryott last fall gave me some blooms just before the frost hit. What does he feed them, I wonder?

Celeste

• shive
    12 years ago

Screen Pattern looks pretty perfect to me. I never get those really intricate patterns with the heat here. My other favorite would be Shores of Time.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I think Bill must have some sort of Magic Fairy Dust there at Maryotts as most of the daylilies he sends out bloom shortly no matter were in the country they end up.

I am glad that you at least have some roses there that those Japanese Beetles leave pretty much alone so you can enjoy them. Have you ever tried to put out the Beetle traps away from your garden areas? Lure them away from the flowers and kill them, less eggs laid for next year.

• houstmag
    12 years ago

You're lilies are stunning and all of your DL's look great to my favorite is your red NOID followed by Screen Pattern.
    Linda

• Waitforspring
    12 years ago

Screen Pattern is my favorite. Love that patterned eye. You have some gorgeous lilies. Do you have lily beetles there?
    Val

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rita, Yes, I have used the beetle bag traps before but they are only effective if my neighbors also use them. What happened in years past is that I am the only one who uses them, so lo and behold, all the beetles from miles around come calling. I swear they just lured MORE beetles so I stopped using them. I actually have less now that I don't have the beetle traps. I try to pick them several times a day and drop them in a bucket of soapy water but of course, the beetles are winning the fight. I just love Maryott's and you can't beat the sale he's having right now.
    Val, oh gosh...you must have missed my last post. I posted some gruesome photos of the dreaded red lily beetle and the damage it is doing to my lilies. YES, they are really bad here. It is really discouraging, dealing with both those beetles and the japanese beetles which destroy my roses. As if our long, cold winters weren't enough!
    Here's another pic of Screen Pattern, which only gave me a couple of blooms since FAT CAT NEMO broke off an entire scape rubbing against it...it will probably take time for it to be perfect but I like it so far.

Celeste

{{gwi:937128}}

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

OH Gollies, You have some beautiful daylilies, but them Lilies are just beautiful to me.In the Daylilies,I really like NOWHERE TO HIDE.Its different then most,and so pretty.I just cant get over how beautiful those Lilies are,and they smell good too?They seem to grow pretty tall, too, it looks like?I love them white ones with the yellow on them,and another thats white and looks like a dark pink in it too?Gorgeous,Thank you for posting them.I cant get enough of looking at them beauties.

Jean

• Cindy zone 6a
    12 years ago

Screen Pattern is nice, I really like the patterned eye. Prediction is one of my (many) favorites. Your lilies are wonderful. I have always loved the oriental lilies. You have quite the collection. Especially love the first bulb lily that you posted. Looks like one I have,
    cindy

• kitcatclub
    12 years ago

Gorgeous pics, Celeste! I absolutely love Siloam Glory Bee - where in the world did you find that one?? I was on a Siloam collecting kick a few years ago and have about 30 different cultivars, but I never even heard of that one. I will be scouring the net for it, LOL! My current favorite is Siloam Peony Display, which I think you posted in another thread.

Keep posting the lilies - I need something to aspire to!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Stubborn Gardener

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kitcatclub....
    I too collect the Siloams! I bought Siloam Glory Bee online from 'Daylilies By The Pond' (Sara Knackstedt)...she's in Ohio so her plants are hardy. She is wonderful to do business with and her prices are dirt cheap. I also got my Siloam Peony Display from her. She has several of the double Siloams if you are looking for others.

Celeste

• avedon_gw
    12 years ago

My favorites are Siloam Glory Bee and all the lilies. Can't believe there is not a picture of Zeus in here. I like that you give the source of your plants. I have already looked up Earlybird and see that she carries Berma Abercrombie which I want, and now I will check out D.Lilies By The Pond. Thanks, Avedon

• kitcatclub
    12 years ago

Celeste, thanks for the heads up on Daylilies by the Pond - I never heard of them either, LOL! I'll check them out for sure. I only have a few Siloam doubles - do you have Double Fringe? Amazing Grace is blooming now - I love that bright yellow!

• Waitforspring
    12 years ago

Celeste, I did miss your posting about the lily beetles. I sometimes get too busy to check in and your lilies look so good I thought maybe you had escaped. We have them here and I finally resorted to a systemic and I've still seen a few beetles and lots of holes in the lily leaves. I also have lots of brown foliage on my asiatics which I think is botritis (sp?) from all the rain in the spring and the fact that they are too crowded. All in all it's getting discouraging growing lilies.

Thanks for posting another picture of Screen Saver. It's a beauty.
    Val

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Celeste, it is a shame that you can't convince your neighbors to put the traps out on their property and lure them away from yours. At least the more you kill dropped into the soapy water the less eggs to be laid for next years crop.