Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Help rescue Spiced Tomato Soup!

pqtex
9 years ago

I prepared Spiced Tomato Soup (BBB pg 65 or see link and scroll to post by Linda Lou). I followed the recipe exactly. I should have listened to my instincts that the amount of bay leaves and cloves seemed like too much. It came out bitter. I tasted before adding the sugar, but I ended up adding all of it to try to cut the clove flavor and bitterness. Now it's too sweet, still slightly bitter and is still overpowered by the cloves.

The recipe called for 7 bay leaves and 1 tbs whole cloves. I would not put that much ever again!

I have not canned it yet. I'd like to get some suggestions about what I can do to "rescue" it. Can I safely add more tomatoes (a lot more) to cut the taste and still be able to can it? If there is something I can do to alter it and still can it, great. If I can't can the end result, I could freeze it. I just need suggestions before I pour it down the drain! I also don't want to waste time and additional ingredients remaking it into something else if it's a lost cause to start with.

Thanks,

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato soup thread

Comments (6)