Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olga_6b

What are your best polychrom varieties.?

olga_6b
14 years ago

I love polychrome daylilies. Which ones are your best polychromes? In my garden Charlie and Harvest Moth are wonderful. Have plenty of others, but these two are the winners.

Olga

Comments (20)

• njmomma
    14 years ago

Good question. I love them too. I think my FAIRY CHARM is one, but it's new so I'm not sure. Do you have pics of yours?

• lyle627
    14 years ago

One of my best polychrome would be EVELYN KLOERIS

• lyle627
    14 years ago

EVELYN KLOERIS
    {{gwi:647349}}

SPECTRAL ELEGANCE

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don't have pictures of Charlie or Harvest Moth.
    Here are the images from Song Sparrow web site and Harvest Moth from Dave Mussar web site.

Olga

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

Little Rainbow for me!

• von1
    14 years ago

WHATS POLYCHROM?

• lynxe
    14 years ago

polychrome - http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/polychrome.html

any time you have a question, think about checking out the AHS web site.

jeez....I hope this posts. I keep getting internal server error messages. Sigh.

Oh, and good hybridizer for polychromes would be Bro. Charles Reckamp.

• berrytea4me
    14 years ago

I've been wondering this for awhile.

I have read the descriptions in the AHS dictionary but still don't "get" the difference between a polychrome and a blend.

Can someone show me the difference in a picture? If so, I probably have some to share here. I'm just not sure if they are polychrome or not.

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

Flowers blending and intermingling many colors without distinct bands.
    There is the AHS definition - which is not what I thought polychrome was. My Little Rainbow shines almost like glitter!

• floota
    14 years ago

Debra, here are a couple of shots of two good examples of polychromes. On a polychrome, you can look at the flower and see several distinct colors. One of my favorites is Jack Carpenter's OUR FRIEND SALLY: when I look at it, I can see distinct green and several shades of apricot and cream.

Another is Bill Waldrop's KENNESAW MOUNTAIN HAYRIDE: I can see at least three different/ distinct colors on this bloom.

{{gwi:943712}}

A blend is more subtle - the colors are "blended" together. CARRIBEAN WHIPPED CREAM is a blend.

{{gwi:943714}}

As is Phil Reilly's PAT WESSLING:

{{gwi:943716}}

I am not sure if this makes it clearer or not, but I think of a blend as having more subtle mixes of colors and on a polychrome, you can see different colors fairly clearly.

• olga_6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, Little Rainbow is wonderful. I only wish these flowers were a little bigger. Our Friend Sally is gorgeous too. :)
    Olga

• jercatz
    14 years ago

would this be a polychrome?

• katladie
    14 years ago

Thanks for the site lynxe, I bookmarked it.

They are all so pretty, whatever they are called.

Sharon

• floota
    14 years ago

Jercats, I do not see a polychrome when looking at that picture. It appears to be a self with a white midrib. JMHO!

• berrytea4me
    14 years ago

Julie, Thank you for the examples. Would it be fair to say that "a polychrome is a blend of more than 2 colors"?

Here are some examples from my garden that I "think" are polychrome. Most are older varieties. Feel free to correct me if you think any are blends instead.

Although it is hard to capture on camera, I do see at least 3 colors in each of these.

{{gwi:943722}}

{{gwi:943726}}

{{gwi:688630}}

href="http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/proverb_31/plant%20and%20flowers%20in%20my%20garden/Daylilies%202009/?action=view¤t=dlt-SouthSeaSerenade-09b.jpg"; target="_blank">

• floota
    14 years ago

Debra, I think my answers might be confusing more than helping! BECKY LYNN, INHERITED WEALTH and SOUTH SEA SERENADE, all of which I grow or used to grow, I would call blends rather than polychromes. FLYING CARPET I am not familiar with, but it appears to be a bitone ( or maybe a bi-color) but it is hard to tell from the picture. On CURLY ROSY POSY, the hybridizer describes it as having an "eye" ( but it is technically a band) Midribs and eyes or bands don't count when you are looking to describe a daylily as either a polychrome or a blend. So I would not describe that one as being a polychrome but rather having a darker band.
    And regrettably, I used to grow WISEST OF WIZARDS but I don't think your picture is WOW . It has a very definite rose eye or band ( I can't remember which and don't have a pic handy) and also a rosey-orangey colored edge. Sorry, don't you just hate it when someone tells you that your cultivar is mis-ID'D? The seedling does not look from the picture to be a polychrome either, maybe a blend.
    I'd better stop, as this is probably just adding to everyone's confusion.

• berrytea4me
    14 years ago

Well, OK.

I'm sorry, Olga. I guess I can't help until I understand what a polychrome is. Didn't mean to post the wrong kind.

If you want to look through my album to see if anything there really qualifies as a polychrome I'd love to know it.

My album is at:
    http://photobucket.com/Debras_Gardens_2009Daylilies
    when you click on the link it will ask you for a password. Enter t4m

Debra

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I don't know anything about the deffination of polychrom. I just wanted to second what Julue said about that not being WISEST OF WIZARDS. You WISEST OF WIZARDS wannabe sure is a pretty one though.

• lilynut
    14 years ago

Kate Carpenter is a polychrome. Just about everything from Brother Charles Reckamp is a polychrome.

Emerald Treasure - Reckamp 1989

Techny Spider - Reckamp-Klehm 1987

A seedling out of Emerald Treasure X Angel's Smile. Both Reckamp cultivers.

Those are all polychromes. From my experience a good number of plants described as a polychrome has peach, pink and yellow in them with no bands of color, but blending from like yellow to peach to pink not neccessary in that order.

Heavenly Crown and a few other Reckamps have very little/no yellow, but more shades of peach and pink. Seems 3 or more shades of color blended from one to another is called a polychrome.

Cheers,

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

I was interested in defining polychromes too --- one site defines it as a blend of 3 or more colors. Theirbegi definition of blend is: a blend of 2 or more colors!

I looked up 'Collier' (jercatz's picture) at Tinkers and it is listed as a polychrome.

'Evelyn Kloeris' is gorgeous Lyle. And you are zone 9 also ~~ I'll be watching to see what performs well for you since I'm just beginning with daylilies. Are all Carpenters ok in milder winters? What about Stamiles? I really want 'Ruby Spider' but it's listed as dormant.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath