Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgeca

Hostas in Water

mgeca
15 years ago

Hi, we plant a variety of hostas around our property. I have read that hostas can be planted in an artificial pond, and find in the search that people are planting bare root, in panty hose, or in gravel. We have an area of water in our pond that is maybe 5x8' and 12" deep that we would like to fill with hostas of several varieties.

The pond has significant moving water and some fish that enjoy moving gravel around. We would appreciate some thoughts and opinions to guide us, ideas in addition to those mentioned above.

What depth(s) would be acceptable, what kinds of pots and planting medium would you recommend? What is a good time to plant and how to overwinter?

Thanks in advance for some general thoughts to get us started. Promise pictures come summer.

Mike

Comments (11)

• aahostas
    15 years ago

Mike,
    This is something that Butch can help you with. He has posted many discussions on this in the past. Try the archives on Hostas in water.

Denny

• mgeca
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Denny,

I searched hostas in water and several variants prior to posting. I came up with only two threads that seemed, by title or opening words, relevent. Went forward and backward again through so many that I got cross-eyed.

We know how to plant hostas and have them thrive and how to plant in the pond. Really what I hope to learn is what commonly available hostas might work and what depths in a pot and in the water are good (apparently don't submerge the crown is the guideline) and what happens in the winter--leave 'em in, take 'em out? As I said, we have vigorously flowing water that may be an inhibiting factor and fish that will eat bare roots, I expect.

We'll experiment when the time comes--which isn't any where near in these environs.

Thanks for the help - I'll keep searching. Gorgeous hostas in the photos.

Mike

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

Try this link.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Butch's Hostas in a Stream

• aahostas
    15 years ago

Thanks Babka,
    I knew it was somewhere in our past discussions.

Denny

• mgeca
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the help. There are several methods successful for others that I can consider while winter lingers on.

Would anyone guess what a good water temperature might be for the intitial "planting?" About the same as the soil temp when they start to grow?

I went into the kitchen last evening and found a current garden catalog opened to some pictures of gorgeous hostas--so I know the family green thumb is on board for the trial.

Mike

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hi Mike,
    We too,have a pond,i have grown hosta in the pond for several years now,they do just fine,my first try, i used the common ones you find every where,just in case they didn't make it,we have a gravel bog,we planted the hosta right into the gravel,they did great,left them over winter there also,and every thing was good.
    I also grew some last year,in pots,in the pond it's self,crown was covered with water,(moving water)don't know if that matters,but they were fine.
    If i were you, i would experement first,just to feel sure about what you are doing.
    Good luck,and have fun.
    cAROL
    oh,i will add,we had 15 fish,so maybe that helped,?

• peggy_hosta
    15 years ago

Carol and others, are your hostas that are in the pond/stream in full sun? My pond is FULL sun. I wonder if they would burn.
    Peggy

• aahostas
    15 years ago

Mike,
    Butch has done a lot of research on this topic.You can e-mail him at wilddog_202@yahoo.com. I am sure that he can be of help to you.

Denny

• mgeca
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Denny, I appreciate the address. This started as a simple question and has gotten more interesting. I'm not the gardener in the family, but the aquatic plants seem to be my responsibility now that I started some lilies last year. I expect to enjoy this role and maybe even to create a pleasant addition to our pond, should it ever thaw! I will post some pictures later in the summer if all works out.

Carol - 15 fish no doubt help fertilize, as you know. We only have two fairly large comet-types in around 1500 gallons, so I doubt they will contribute much other than being nuisances around the plants perhaps. I planted the lilies first time last summer, had them in oil change pans, great soil material with compacted pea gravel on top of the soil. Couldn't believe how much gravel they moved off the pots and onto the pond bottom. Didn't add silt to the water or harm the lilies tho. I gather your fish leave the plants alone?

Good news to hear your hostas did well in moving water as I have plenty of that. Thanks for the tips.

Mike

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hi Mike,
    When i said we HAD 15 fish,note,the HAD.:0(

We lost them all, i raised them from babies,we believe an owl got them,as we never saw a bird,and there are no ledges in our pond any more,for a coon,plus, our pond is 4 feet deep.It is just outside our front door,visable at all times.I was just sick to have lost them,they were my pets.
    I am sure they did add to the feeding of the plants.
    And, yes,they did move the gravel in the pots a lot,Koi,love to root,ha ha
    Try placing bigger stones on top,that workes just as good.

Your wife will love you for taking an interest in the gardening,gives you something to plan,and talk about.
    Denny is right,Butch has a lot to say on this subject.
    Good luck to you and your new hobby.
    cAROL

• highjack
    15 years ago

If your fish are hand fed and rush to the side of the pond everytime something big shows up that might feed them, the raccoons can still get them. My darker fish were not eaten, but all of my white or yellow ones became food.

Been there, done that.