Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigerdawn_gw

Help with 2011 wish list

tigerdawn
13 years ago

I would like some input on which Hoyas to look for this year. I know I want H. pubicalyx "Black Dragon" and H. australis "Lisa" (because I loved it and lost it). I believe Brad and I are trading and I'll get H. australis ssp. teniupes.

Here's what I already have: (*=big enough for trading)

carnosa*

KP*

KQ

carnosa "Chelsea"*

compacta

curtisii*

DS-70*

lacunosa "Royal Flush"*

obovata*

pubicalyx "Red Buttons"

kerrii

wayettii

parasitica variegata

callistophylla (just rooted leaves-I'd like more)

excavata

rigida

cv. Optimistic

bella

chlorantha*

obscura (cutting-may not make it)

So! I think at this point I'd like to expand on leaf forms. Maybe linearis, square leaf, some with rippled leaves, that kind of thing. But I don't want to go too far above my skill level. Bella, obscura, and the Eriostemma have been difficult for me. Obscura just won't root. Excavata and rigida struggled last year after I got them but I think they'll take off this year. I lost "Lisa" during rooting.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome! I live in Oklahoma and many of my plants live on the covered, west facing back porch during the summer but I have room indoors in windows and under lights as well. Almost all my plants love the hot humid summers here. But winter is very dry.

Thank you, gurus!

Comments (4)

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I vote for square leaf. The part I restarted as a cutting didn't take long to root, and it grows nicely, very tolerant of my forgetting to water it sometimes, and it's super cute to boot. I vote against linearis, if it gets hot. Mine sulks every summer and I have it in an air conditioned room. Granted, my AC doesn't work super well and it gets closer to 80 than I like, but I'd say it still sulks when it is between 75 and 80 also.

I love calycina, as a nice forgiving hoya with wonderful fuzzy leaves. It is very pretty, with a nice shaped leaf and so far, a pleasant vining habit. I would look into fitchii also. It is gorgeous! And doesn't really seem to be giving me any problems. It has gotten dry here and there without really reacting at all. And it grows pretty fast. Polyneura has actually been very forgiving as well. I've let that poor guy dry out a bunch of times (for a while it was in the direct path of forced air heating!), and it hasn't minded. I'm not sure if I've just been lucky with it, or what. I'd previously heard that it shouldn't go dry and could be fussy.

Hope that helps!

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

My primary recommendation would be erythrina. Imo, pictures don't do its leaves justice. It's one of my favorites and it rooted without problem and prospered without incident.

Also:

fitchii
    villosa/globulosa
    siariae
    memoria
    sp. kunming kina
    litoralis
    mindorensis
    buotii

None of these has ever demanded my attention, and they would all add diversity to your set of leaves.

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Yes, TigerDawn you are right! I will be getting obovata from you :). I'm with GG on mindorensis. I got mine as a cutting from dmichael last summer and it bloomed shortly after!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Do you have a favorite leaf shape or size? I have some really big plants that have spectacular leaves but some of the most interesting are small growers.
    For small growers that have nice leaves I like Hoya memoria, kanyakumariana and speckled parvoflora. Hoya amoena and sp Bogor have very nice smaller speckled lance shaped leaves. Hoya thompsonii is another really great Hoya with unusual hard bristly leaves that come in green and speckles varieties.
    I second GG's opinion of Hoya erythrina, gorgeous leaf colour and shape and it's not hard to grow.

Mike

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!