Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Suggested potting soil

Hi all,

I'm about to freshen up about 6-8 pots that I have hosta in. (all different varieties) Before I run out and buy some potting soil I wanted to see if there was any mix or brand I should use, or any I should avoid. Do the experts out there warn against the ones that hold moisture? Just checking before I get started.

Comments (6)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I use the 5-1-1 mix recommended in the container forum. Five parts pine bark, one part perlite and one part peat moss. It drains very quickly so you have to water a lot, but the Hostas like it. You should avoid "moisture control" potting soils that don't drain well, especially Miracle Grow moisture control. You can use a peat-based store bought mix, but watch out for crown rot if there is a lot of wet weather.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

Five parts pine bark, one part perlite and one part peat moss.

===>>> which is basically ... regular old promix [or equivalent] with bark fines or mini chunks mixed in ... the professional medias are basically 3 things.. peat.. perlite [the white volcanic chunks] and vermiculite [the mica shiny thingees] ... so all you need to add.. is the stuff to make it porous..

i usually go to the local GREENHOUSE ... not nursery .. unless one in the same..

and ask them what they use in their greenhouse.... and then buy a giant bale from them ... store it dry in a garbage can with lid.. JUST ABOUT FOREVER ....

wet completely a day or two ahead ... and then use damp ...

IMHO..do NOT buy media with fert already in it ... use water soluble ... nothing worse than too much fert late in the year ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all, I have to go to the local tree/shrub place tomorrow and I'll see what they have. I have a big bag of vermiculite in the garage that I bought to try hypertufa so at least have that.

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

I use the regular potting soil mix made by Miracle Gro but not with moisture crystals. I have used this brand for about 6 years now where before I used an organic potting soil made by EarthGro but it's no longer available in this area. Both consistantly produce excellent results for me. As a horticulturist I've always been very careful of soils used so I can recommend these two brands. Ph is an important factor as well and these soils usually tested around 7 as well so you can adjust to the particular plant you are growing if needed. As with any plant drainage is key.

Scott

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Ken -- what proportion of Promix to bark fines do you use?
    Jan

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

50/50 for trees ... and i use the wood chips the tree guys dump in my yard .... searching for the smallest size ... thumbnail is about right ... which is what mini bark chunks are ..

2/3 peat to 1/3 wood might be good for hosta ...

its the concept that is important.. porous media.. sheds excess water ...

whenever i go to a place that has pots.. i tip a plant out.. and look at the media ..

john .... i too had vermiculite.. and i never figured out how to use it ... too much.. and it just floats to the surface and gets ugly fast ... same with perlite ...

ken

the more general page is here:

http://jmjcompanies.com/products/

... scroll down quite a ways ....

Here is a link that might be useful: