Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tony_k_orlando

Pencil Cactus, Milk Cactus, anyone have one in the ground?

tony_k_orlando
16 years ago

I just got some rooted cuttings and understand these can be as tall as a house.

Can they take full sun? Perhaps on the East side of a house? Or is Shade where they do best?

Does anyone have or seen em pruned to look like a tree?

Thanks for the info,

Tony

{{gwi:949099}}

{{gwi:949100}}

Comments (21)

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

I have one growing in a pot on a second floor balcony at our office. I have heard you can place a cutting in the boot of a Sabal palm for a cool weeping look. Maybe someone has the photo.
    Never seen any like a tree,sounds like a hurricane would do it in.They snap like a bean.
    But I do like it and that balcony is wicked cruel to every plant we place up there so it is staying.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

My lil one in my succulent basket looks like it is dying. All shriveled. The other sucs are fine, he just ain't a happy camper. Sheesh, tony, never thought they got that big...WOW

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

I had one pruned as a tree in the ground. I needed the space for something else. GP, you are right they break very easily. I did have it in the sun. Be carefull, some people are allergic to the sap.

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Katkin,

soooooooo? Is the pencil cactus now gone? I guess it never turns very woody eh?

The sap is like that of a gardenia or a jasmine vine maybe? Latex, right? Do you by any chance have any pics of it?

thanks
    tony

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Tony I received one at my first swap and was told "never, ever plant it in the ground". So, I haven't it's in a 5 gal pot in the garden though.

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Yes, it is gone now and no I don't have any pictures. It was about 8 ft tall. It was the limbs that seemed so brittle not the trunk. It was a thick, milky sap. It didn't bother me, but some people get a terrible rash from the sap.
    Marion, why did they say not to plant it in the ground? Mine was in the ground for years and I saw no problem. I just wanted the space for something else and removed it.

• bodiggly
    16 years ago

Tony,

I have seen them planted in the ground at quite a few homes. They probably do better in high filtered light.

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I may just let it grow larger in a container first to see how it behaves, then possibly find a place for it in the yard in the ground. From the looks of the pics I could find, it seems to grow w i d e .

Thanks everyone for the input.

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

In Fort Lauderdale someone on our block had one in the ground and it was huge ! 8--10 feet.

We were there 1964 ---- Mom moved out of the house in 1990.
    zone 10, 1 mile from the beach.

Now I need to go back and see if it still there !

D`Ann

• thepondprincess
    16 years ago

I have a pencil cactus in the ground in full sun in front of an 8 foot high brick wall. It was probably 3 feet tall two years ago and now it is as tall as the wall and sprawling outward. No problems with it so far, except one part of it is starting to lean toward the brick walkway. I understand it is toxic to dogs.

Carol

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW Carol, that is HUGE already! By any chance, do you have a pic of it at this size?

Does your plant just ramble width wise or is it tree shaped?

Have you ever had to shape it in any way?

Thanks
    Tony

• kelpie473
    16 years ago

Big ones are all over here in western Manatee County, they grow happily in full sun and in the ground. This site below says they can grow to 30 feet!

Suzanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Pencil Cactus/Tree

• Bill
    16 years ago

Mine has been in the ground a few years. They were selling little starter plants called firesticks that had red to yellow top growth at Walmart. These are just a color variant of pencil cactus. Mine would be as tall as the house, but I prune it way back on occasion. The main trunk is very woody at this point, but the limbs are fragile.

I think a lot of times we are told that plants should not go in the ground. Many plants like dry roots, and will not tolerate too much moisture in the soil. I do believe that most florida soil (read sand)drains better than any potting mix. Because of this I do not fear putting plants that many parts of the country can't grow in the ground. Even my desert roses do very well in the ground. Just don't plant in a low lying area that is prone to flooding.

The pencil cactus should be a plant it and forget it plant, very easy to care for. It is a euphorbia, so more likely the latex is toxic, not an allergan, but I would not worry about it, just don't get it in your eyes or mouth.

Bill

• thepondprincess
    16 years ago

Tony,

I have photos but don't know how to put them out here. Help!

Carol

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Carol,

I looked back to try and find a post Kate made about posting pics but cant locate it.

You dont have an email listed here on GW, email me through GW and I will try to get you started.

Be aware though, there are at least a bunch of ways to get pics posted.

Tony

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Carol you will find the instructions on the conversations page. I bumped it up so you could easily find it.

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marion, U R GOOD! I couldnt find it, thanks.

• annafl
    16 years ago

Tony, here is mine. In the ground about a year and a half, and in a pot previously. It is in bright shade, but truly it preferred almost full sun when it was young, I just wasn't ready to give up any of those areas for it, so thought I'd try it here. Needs perfect drainage and nothing more. Sorry I took so long to post.

Anna

• lellie
    16 years ago

Mine's been in a pot for a while..I just recently re-potted it and its only about 4' tall.
    I'm afraid to put it in the ground, although I want to, because of our storms.
    I doubt it would survive high winds.

• popper1
    16 years ago

I've had mine in the ground for about 2 yrs. Its about 8-10 feet, was 3' when I put it in the ground. It is in full sun next to a garden pond. It is starting to get a woody trunk. Puts out a lot of growth in the summer, branches get very dense. Grows great, looks great.

• tony_k_orlando
    Original Author
    16 years ago

annafl, lellie, popper, thepondprincess, Bill, kelpie473, goldenpond, Cindee, Katkin and Marion,

Thanks guys for the info, I plan on chancing one tomorrow in the ground. I have a sandy soil spot where the sprinklers dont hit so it should be ideal.

I will stake it to keep the trunk straight till it hardens some and let it go from there.

I appreciate all the experiences you have shared.

Thanks,

Tony