Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_m

can I grow this in a pot?

marcia_m
10 years ago

This Clerodendrum was a small cutting two springs ago but look at it now! It was about 3 feet tall when I left here in June. I have some work cut out for me. (Look at the candlestick cassia on the right, too, another monster. There is a banana tree in the back and a small fig tree and rose bush, among other things, under the clerodendrum--ugh!)

How would this clerodendrum do growing in a big pot? I'm not here all summer to water and look after it, though--can it survive? Probably depends on summer rains, right?
Marcia

Comments (6)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Marcia, it will probably do fine if the pot is in half-day sun, half-day shade. You should also put it in a heavy pot, either glazed or clay/terra cotta. If it is in a plastic container, once it gets big again (as it no doubt will), it will blow over during the high gusty winds of summer rain storms and then it will no longer get rain water on the roots.

All of your plants are so pretty!

Carol in Jacksonville

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Carol is right AGAIN! LOL

I have several large shrubs of this Clero. in the ground and 2 in pots. They do get top-heavy and fall over UNTIL the roots grow through the holes in the pot and anchor in the ground. They get so large that it's not practical to grow them in pots once they get large, which they do.

• Tom
    10 years ago

I have this plant, but don't know the real name of it.I think it is a Clerodendrum speciosissimum.

I started out with one cutting then it grew and it has multiplied. They are growing in a shady area and blooming quite well. I originally got it because I saw a hummingbird visiting one at the Sanford zoo. It gets visits from a number of butterflies along with some hummingbirds.

This post was edited by tom123 on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 6:28

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the plant, I just don't like how it is covering everything nearby--I want to grow some other plants, too :) We're not here all summer to control the runners and pop up plants and that is the reason I wanted to grow it in a pot.

I looked up the plant, Tom. It is Clerodendrum speciosissimum, as you say. I got it as a small start from a garden club. I should always be suspicious of plants from those clubs. My garden in PA became almost unmanageable in just this way. When you have enough plants of a certain kind so that you can give them away, the plant is often a troublemaker (read: prolific and hard to control)!

Thank you for your input, too, Kay. I was afraid growing it in a pot would be a temporary solution. I guess I'll have to think about what to do with this one.

Marcia

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

It also take to hard pruning. You could cut it back now and then again before you leave. :o)

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I rescued the rose and fig tree that were buried by the plants and removed some of the runners. If it doesn't get cut back by frost this winter, I'll prune it when we leave. I'll definitely keep after the runners this winter.
    Marcia

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals