Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristlindgren

pizza sauce?

kristlindgren
14 years ago

Can a person make and can homemade pizza sauce? And if so, does anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks,

Kris

Comments (13)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Sure you can and there are lots of different recipes in the discussions linked below. Be sure to check out the Chunky Basil, Garlic & Tomato sauce one and the marinara sauce too.

BBB has a Italian Tomato and a Seasoned Tomato pizza sauce recipe in it as does the Ball Complete Book. And there is the packaged pizza sauce base mix made by Mrs. Wages and by Ball too. Check out all the sauce recipes at freshpreserving.com and at NCHFP too.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato/Pizza sauce discussions

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Same as spagetti sauce. Its usually smoother and has the same ingredients as most spagetti sauces. In any case, to properly home can, it does need added acid, like citric, or bottled leom juice or some vinegar. Dont use too much low acid addins like peppers and onions, unless they are a tried type and teh liquids in the sauce is rehydrating them. I make a pizza with home made sour dough, spread oilive oil on the formed crust, then add slices of plum tomatoes that have been slightly salted and placed on paper towels to soak up some of the liquid. Salts helps to get some liquid to exude too. The tomato slices are placed close together onto the formed dough, then I sprinkle italian herbs, basil, oregano, and add some minced fresh garlic to the top, then whole milk mazzarella. As a variety, I add partially cooked broccoli crowns, and some marinated cooked chicken, that was sitting in garlic then cut in pieces. Also mushrooms!

• raspberrytart
    14 years ago

I used Mrs. Wages pizza sauce mix last Thurs. the mix called for 6 lbs fresh tomatoes, I used a mix of roma, thai pink, and a few sungolds, after peeling I realized my 6 lbs of small tomatoes wouldn't be equal to the 6 lbs of medium tomatoes the package called for, so added 1 more lb of romas. Still came out about 1/2 pint short of the 5 pints. Used the leftover unprocessed 1/2 pint on a pizza tonight, I think the sauce tasted better after sitting in the fridge a few nights, the family liked it, but next time I will try to find a good homemade recipe for a canned pizza sauce.

• prairie_love
    14 years ago

My favorite is the Seasoned Tomato Sauce from Ellie Topps Small Batch Preserving. I use it all winter for pizza. I don't have the recipe with me so try searching. If you can't find it and want it, I'll be happy to post tonight.

• kristlindgren
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did a search and could not find it. If you have the time could you please post it?

Thank you

Kris

• ahbee01
    14 years ago

I would like the recipe as well, I also tried to search it!

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

If the recipe was posted here a while back, its probably gone off the other end into the 'twilight zone'. Every new subject thread deletes the oldest threads, unless someone takes the time and does a search, then posts new info or questions within the old post.

• prairie_love
    14 years ago

Seasoned Tomato Sauce
    Small-Batch Preserving

12 cups chopped ripe tomatoes (about 6 lb.)
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
    2 tsp granulated sugar
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    2 bay leaves
    2 tbsp lemon juice (bottled)
    1/2 tsp salt (canning)

1. Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, sugar, pepper, and bay leaves in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, until very thick, about 1 1/4hours; stir frequently. Press through a food mill or coarse sieve to remove seeds and skins. Add lemon juice and salt.

2. Remove hot jars from canner and ladle sauce into jars to within 1/2 inch of rim. Process 35 minutes for half-pin or pint jars.

Makes about 4 cups

She suggests adding dried spices when ready to use (1 cup Seasoned Tomato Sauce plus 1/2 tsp each dried oregano, dried basil, dried parsley, 1 clove crushed garlic).

• kristlindgren
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much for taking the time to enter this recipe. I am sure the whole family is going to enjoy this one. According to my kids pizza is a food group. I must admit it is also one of my favorite foods also, along with a lot of other foods. Sometimes I wish food wouldn't taste to good.

Kris

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

There is a seasoning mix called Spatini, which changed ownership several times in recent years. Its not a canning recipe, but seems to make a very nice sauce for pasta or pizza.

• prairie_love
    14 years ago

Kris,

You are very welcome. I didn't add much last night as I was actually preparing this very recipe myself. I have already done one batch and last night cut up the tomatoes and onions for a double batch. I'll simmer it down and can it tonight.

I use a bread machine for pizza dough. I can come home from work, start the bread machine, an hour later the dough is ready. I put this sauce on and then whatever else I have around, often frozen or canned stuff from the garden such as marinated bell peppers, dried tomatoes, etc. It makes for an easy and yummy Friday night dinner and I think fairly healthful since I limit the cheese and pile up on the veggies!

Hope you like it too.

Ann

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Try sourdough pizza dough. I have a very old sourdough culture I have kept going for many years. Its always a good taste combo with any kind of pizza. I read somewhere that fresh basil leaves should be cut lengthwise as they don't blacken that way.

• wcthomas
    14 years ago

The key to the wonderful taste of a good pizza sauce is in the seasoning. The key seems to be good quantities of thyme, oregano, and rosemary, although I would love to hear opinions from others on their favorite seasoning mix.

TomNJ