Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colind_gw

Prescription for Bougainvillea?

ColinD
10 years ago

Can anyone advise of a good prescription for producing healthy and abundant Bougainvillea blooms. I have several, both potted and planted although they do not produce abundant blooms. How frequently should they be watered, what fertilizer and frequency if needed, etc. Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (8)

• leahrenee1
    10 years ago

Bougainvillea are best left on ignore, :) If you fertilize they get huge and same if you over water, I just ignore them and occasionally pinch the tips off to make them more full.

• ColinD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Couldn't be easier than that... Thank you for your suggestion!

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I always gave mine half strength fertilizer.

• rosaholicme
    10 years ago

Let them become pot-bound if in pots, do not water often and a bloom booster fertilizer will also help. Ever noticed how in periods of long drought bougainvillea always flower well?

• ColinD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been watering weekly for some time... Have they been trained to require it now or do you think it's safe to break away?

• rosaholicme
    10 years ago

Every other week should be fine. Also try Miracle Gro Bloom Booster fertilizer from HD. Full sun also helps

• edenh
    10 years ago

Hi
    It's not that easy..i have tried all of the above suggestions. I planted many bougies. I tried ignoring them , hoping they would flower but they just sulked. I tried fertilizing, they dont do anything. I tried watering them, I got new leaves that dropped as soon as I stop regular watering. I took a few and stuck them in small pot near my potted roses. They got some water from me watering the roses and fertilizer as well. Right now they are nice, leafy and one of them is flowering. I think another one is about to flower. I"m not sure what it is that make them flower,coz ignoring them sure does not...

• marcia_m
    10 years ago

I have read that pruning helps as they bloom on new wood. A quote from a fertilizer website (which I have never tried, so I'm not promoting that)

"In Florida, landscape professionals commonly perform a hard cut at the first sign of summer, and keep on a regular trimming schedule all summer long to maintain size. Pinching is the method of removing the soft tips of young plant stems to encourage fuller growth. You can do this with a pair of secateurs, or by using your fingers to pinch off ý inch from the tip of new soft growth. Bougainvillea will send out several new stems just below the pinched tip.

The more regularly you pinch, the more your bougainvillea will branch and bloom. The best time to prune or pinch is after the flush of color or flowering cycle is completed. Flowering cycles are typically four to six weeks."

Here is a link that might be useful: fertilizer website

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022