Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

Dehydrator Questions (Bell Pepper)

missemerald
11 years ago

I am loving my new dehydrator... but I have a question. I am currently drying some green peppers from the garden (the plants are going nuts right now). How do you tell when they are done? The pieces are small, dark green and dry, don't appear to be wet but feel slightly pliable. I thought they would be dry and brittle? The directions weren't very clear about this. Also should I store them in a glass jar in a dark place... or in the freezer or fridge? Thanks!

Marcy

Comments (3)

• tangrene
    11 years ago

I store my dried Chopped peppers in a clean mason jar (0r vacuum type bag that is just sealed...not vacuumed sealed. I think most foodsavers have option to just use the sealing function. I would not vacuum seal any mason jar with home dried pepper because you don't know how dry the pepper actually are. Just my own personal way of doing things.

Pantry storage in a reasonable room temperature is just fine in my experience, but my pantry stays 50-60 degrees 10 month a year. I keep a half pint or pint "opened" jar of peppers and celery in my kitchen where temps are higher and they last a long long while. If you have tons of peppers you can also freeze them but they take up less space dried.

I've been known to hang them up and dry them similar to how you do those wonderful Chili's when I lived in a desert climate. Doubt I'd have lucky doing that in my wet climate without an abundance of sun.

As far as them being Crisp or brittle when dried...I know when I lived in a desert climate they were brittle...but in Pacific NW...they generally are more leathery.

I do not use O2 absorbers inside a jar of dried peppers...but some people do I hear.

I do not use O2 absorbers on home dehydrated produce because I can't be absolutely sure the moisture level is low enough to not promote botulism...my humidity level is close to 90% most of the year. IF the peppers are BRITTLE...then it probably is dry enough to pack any way you want.

The rule of thumb for me in using O2 absorber for any HOME packed or stored dehydrated food is if it shatters if you hit it with a hammer against concrete. ie) wheat grains, rice grains. Of course this only is applicable if your planning to store longer than a year or so. Season to season there really isn't a need for long term storage.

• planatus
    11 years ago

In my experience peppers stop drying somewhere between leathery and crisp. I store mine in the freezer just to be safe, usually in the door where I can reach them quickly.

It's also great fun to smoke peppers before freezing or drying them, though it stinks up the dehydrator. This week I have been steam-blanching ripe bell pepper "boats" and freezing them for stuffing this winter. Yum fun!

• jackieblue
    11 years ago

Most veggies should be a little pliable. They don't have to be crispy but it shouldn't hurt anything if they are. Once they cooled they will be a little less pliable. What you should do next is put them in a glass jar or storage bag (not vacuum sealed) for about 10 days. Pick them up every now and then and shake them up a little, look for signs of moisture/condensation in the jar/bag. This process allows what little moisture there is to 'even out' among the pieces and allows you to check for any signs of spoilage (which would indicate they weren't dehydrated properly). If after 10 days there is no sign of excess moisture then you should be all set to vacuum pack in backs or jars for long term storage.