Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyd74

Any approved canning recipes for green tomato sauce?

Late blight is a problem in Michigan this year and I know that near neighbors of mine have it, so I pulled all my tomato plants early because I don't want the pathogen overwintering in my garden. What that means is that now I have lots and lots of really green tomatoes. I don't like pickled green tomatoes, but I do like green tomato pasta sauce. Does anyone have any approved canning recipes for this? I haven't been able to find one so far on the net. Thanks!
Lisa

Comments (15)

• malna
    9 years ago

This one may not be officially "approved" but Cindy is a Master Food Preserver. Looking at the recipe, I don't see red flags.

Green tomatoes are more acidic than ripe ones, she's using dried spices and seasonings only, she's adding some citric acid/lemon juice and it's processed for 35 minutes.

Also, if you have the space, you can ripen green tomatoes inside. We did that a couple of years ago (same deal - late blight :-( and had BLT's on New Year's Day!

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Tomato Sauce (Pomodori Verde)

• cannond
    9 years ago

Malna, that Pomodori Verdi looks wonderful. Can I wash and cook the tomatoes without peeling, then run them through a chinois? How do you peel them?

Deborah

• malna
    9 years ago

It depends on what kind of tomatoes they are. If they are thicker skinned, like some of my paste tomatoes, I blanch and peel just like regular tomatoes. Thin-skinned ones, I don't bother.

Using the immersion blender (or a regular blender but I hate doing that when stuff is hot), the skins don't bother me. Unlike ripe tomatoes when I can't stand even tiny bits of skin in a sauce. Don't know why, but that's just me.

A chinois should work fine, too.

• lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By the way - this is yummy! Thank you.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

malna, i love sbcanning.com, from your link. however, i can't find any info on there about cindy. is that her site ? how do you know she is a master food preserver ? from that, can i assume all the canning recipes on that site are safe? the next logical question is, can you assume any recipe posted by a MFP is safe simply because they are a MFP. i assume that their recipes, or changes to recipes, have not been tested in a lab. just checking to be clear, but i hope yes is your predominant answer ! ;o)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Just to add re late blight. I did some google research yesterday and late blight does not overwinter in gardens. You don't even need to disinfect your tomato stakes. That info was a relief to me.

• malna
    9 years ago

pattypan,
    Sorry I didn't see you question earlier. Cindy used to have an "About" page on her website. When it was redesigned, I guess they didn't include it.

I did see this on her Facebook page "SB Canning is run by a certified Master Food Preserver who wants to help people who are Canning and Preserving food to become more sustainable. It is a very important way for those who garden, have dietary requirements, or just want to save money on food. SB Canning is dedicated to teaching how this can be accomplished but in the safest, straightforward, and most practical way..." and there is contact info on there.

I had emailed her a couple of years ago, and she was very responsive back then.

Can you assume everything is safe? Not necessarily. I do have a higher level of confidence from an MFP's site rather than a generic recipe site. I always look at a canning recipe, and make a decision "Do I think it's safe or iffy?" If I want to try it, I'll email the person and ask. So far, I've gotten responses from all but one person outlining their testing procedures, etc. Even Bernardin. If they're not helpful, then I don't touch it.

Hope that helps.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

thanks malna, it does help. after a bumper crop of tomatoes i still have big green ones that may not ripen. it's good to have a sauce recipe for them.
    pat

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Posted by laceyvail 6A, WV (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 7:02

Just to add re late blight. I did some google research yesterday and late blight does not overwinter in gardens. You don't even need to disinfect your tomato stakes. That info was a relief to me.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%
    Exactly. Though not the main subject here, but it is worthwhile to mention it. EB and LB are "Air-Borne" diseases and the bacteria cannot overwinter in soil. It CAN overwinter in living plants' cells.

Back To Topic:
    I like this. I will try a batch of "Pomodori Verdi" sauce. We all get lots of green tomatoes at the end of season, no matter what. This is another use for them besides pickling and making relish.
    Thanks for the idea !

• pattypan
    9 years ago

has anyone tried green tomatoes in NCHFP's spaghetti sauce ? or in any other sauces for PC ? (i LOVE my new PC) i have 30 lbs. cooking now and was just going to PC basic tomato sauce. my toms were in various stages of unripeness. i don't like fried green tomatoes and am hoping i can use the sauce as a base for something tasty. with heavy rain coming, what's left in the garden will probably split before ripening, and i hate to waste them.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

malna, i just can't bring myself to do a BWB if i can PC, i'm a bit burned out with all these tomatoes ! i'll try the pomodori verdi next year if i like the green sauce.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

follow up: had some extra green sauce-it's better than i expected. so i added some garlic and onion sauteed in o.o., basil, pepper , brown sugar, and a splash of balsamic. we'll eat well tonight !!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

The safest scenario to do green tomatoes, would be just treat it as ripe tomatoes. But I am pretty sure it would be way acidic that way. But then there should be no worries.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

safety-wise, yes. but taste-wise, what works? more importantly, what doesn't work as well ?
    NCHFP says greens can be subbed for reds. the pomodori verde above adds water. if greens have less juice, doesn't that affect density, therefore processing time ? this brings to mind another technical question which perhaps should be in another thread. adding acid to tomatoes (esp. green ones) for PC. does the pH have something to do with processing time for killing botulinum spores ? i thought of it as only time, density, and temperature.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Yes processing times take into account pH as well as density. Processing times for tomatoes are based on red ripe tomatoes (though green can be substituted), and acidification is required for tomatoes even if PCing if the recipe states so, b/c the times given are equivalent to BWB process, so same acidification is used.

Now, there are some recipes with tomatoes that are processed longer b/c of other ingredients (okra, spaghetti sauce), that may not require the acid b/c the processing times are allowing for those ingredients, and are sufficient to kill spores in all the ingredients without additional acid.

This is why you should always use approved recipes, b/c the process times (and pressure/temperature) have been tested for those ingredients and pH.