Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth7happy

From dry bones to floody-puddles

beth7happy
16 years ago

Gosh, maybe this post should be an addendum to Oy! Noel, I'm not sure.... All summer/fall seems we've been plagued with dry, dry, dry...and dragging the hose around. I was constantly battling spider mites... It'd rain everywhere in the county, but not here - as if we had a tarp over the yard. However....that's all changed within the last couple of weeks! The yard has pond after pond...plants in standing water and already showing distress....one of the most unhappy ones seems to be a beauty that ginnebee gave me - clerodendrum specisossimum (glorybower?)...it's totally drooped. Sad, too, cuz it's all blossoms right now...but those huge furry leaves are just hanging. Pots of plumeria are in several inches of water...it seems to drain off, but then the least little shower brings it all back up. Hopefully the weekend will be nice and the amount of time in ponds won't kill too much. Funny..I cry when it's too dry, and now I'm whining cuz it's too wet. Is anyone else having soggy problems?

Comments (10)

• fl_southpaw
    16 years ago

Yes, yes, I feel your pain. Drought then rot. I have a new appreciation for farmers. And the wind has stripped off a lot of my newest vines and indescriminately tossed my potted plants. I may go postal. Where's my ice pick?

Julie, maniacal in WPB

• Irma_StPete
    16 years ago

Time to do the shakin' dance - shake those clerodendrum branches (wear your bathing suit?). I bet the neighbors already know you're a fool for your plants, Beth!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

The rain and drizzles the past few days have been a welcomed relief! I colda done without the wind tho'

• ginibee
    16 years ago

Well you can always get more of the clero if that one doesn't make it. We haven't had that much rain, but the wind is something else. Since I can't really get out in the yard yet, I can't tell what kind of damage, but I'm sure some of the plants need help.

Are you still getting your share of birds? Ours have just about disappeared for the time being. Loved your bunting on the other post.

Ginny

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Ginny...will take you up on that offer if this clero doesn't survive. It's literally standing in water and totally drooped like it's had NO water! I've never seen such a thing.
    I'll have the Af. blue basil ready for you. Still getting some birds...hoping for a good winter crop.

• the_musicman
    16 years ago

Still dry bones here, although today it randomly showered hard for 10 minutes. That was nice. Stuff still droops, but that is from the drought. At least the temps are starting to cool. Makes things a bit more manageable.

If I was looking for a silver-lining (pun intended), the cumulative effect of this years-long drought is that it has been quite an excellent bellwether for which plants truly belong in such an unpredictable landscape and climate... stuff that can take the sopping/parched/blazing conditions without a care. I know who my survivors are now, and the rest aren't worth the trouble or cost to maintain.

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

There is hope in the future. ;o) The storm is moving off and bringing a cool front this weekend. Yea! So I hope you get to dry out.

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

I hope you dry out also. We had several days of rain and the ground is soggy, soggy, something I've not seen in years. No standing water though and everything is growing like weeds. We had a lot of wind also, today is just a nice stiff breeze. I am looking forward to the cooler temps, that will be such a relief.

FlowerLady

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Five o'clock, Friday afternoon. There's been no rain all day - some plants are still standing in water..others have literally fallen over and there is mud, mud, mud....exposed roots. I'm thinkin that tomorrow, if it's perhaps a wee bit drier, I can try to stand those plants up tamp down around them and maybe throw some potting soil on top??? Anyone have any suggestions? Some of the tipped-over plants include a very large porterweed, some red penta, one hibiscus, a rather large coleus plant. A 5' night blooming jasmine is still standing in water.. Maybe I should opt for musicman's attitude and just pull out whatever doesn't make it ??? but.....i kinda like those plants and would love to save them, if possible..... supposed to be a dry weekend.

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Oh yes, I would take some top soil or cow manute (good time to improve the soil)and dump on top of the exposed roots. Some of the plants did suffer with the weather lately, but I am hopeful for a more normal summer this year. I really hate to get rid of any of my plants unless the totally die. Forever the optimist! ;o)